What if pro wrestling were real...?

pmy008

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If pro wrestling were to become a real sport, but not change anything about how it's done, how would you assess the winners?

And i have to agree:

I have to be honest, your post really hurt my head!

There is nothing to gain from making wrestling a "real sport" in the way you desribe!

But the point of the thread is to imagine the idea and see how it could be done. It's never going to happen, but there's no harm in thinking how it could work.

Ok. The answer is simple. Dave Meltzer's star rating system :nerd:

Didn't Alex Shane want to do this a couple of years ago (judging wrestling as a real sport akin to gymnastics)?

He's wanted to do everything at one stage or another, hasn't he? This wasn't his worst idea. Still not keen though.

I never said I was keen on it. Obviously neither were many other people since it's not come to fruition.

I didn't mean to insinuate that you were keen. However, these lads are -

article-1172940-0480B7070000044D-825_468x443.jpg

Tottenhams-Robbie-Keane.jpg

Keane.jpg

This one wasn't.

Blackburn-v-Wigan-Steve-Kean_2761760.jpg

I would say pinning the shoulders to the mat for a count of 3 seconds would be a good way of deciding the winner. I'd also suggest submitting your opponent via a painful hold, acknowledged by a vocal declaration or tapping the mat.

In the event the competitors should find themselves in a cage, exiting the cage would also result in a win.

• Paid Members

That Alex Shane thing was a gimmick for the King of Europe Cup. IIRC he wanted fans in attendance to put some money in a pot to vote for match of the night, then the winners would split the takings. People rightly pointed out at the time that this is a proper kayfabe-skewer, because suddenly (in imagine-it's-real-land) the incentive is to have an enjoyable-for-the-fans match as much as it is to win the match. Annoyed me quite a lot at the time, but looking back, it was just another overthought Alex Shane shoot-work.

Going all Lance Storm here but if I can be serious for a minute.....

So winners would be determined(amongst other things) on difficulty of the moves performed. Ok, how does that work exactly?

Surely neither man would co operate with the others attempt at any moves as they themselves would logically want to win the match?

• Paid Members
That Alex Shane thing was a gimmick for the King of Europe Cup. IIRC he wanted fans in attendance to put some money in a pot to vote for match of the night, then the winners would split the takings. People rightly pointed out at the time that this is a proper kayfabe-skewer, because suddenly (in imagine-it's-real-land) the incentive is to have an enjoyable-for-the-fans match as much as it is to win the match. Annoyed me quite a lot at the time, but looking back, it was just another overthought Alex Shane shoot-work.

No, this was after the King of Europe Cup and more in the "BWC era" Alex Shane, where he was trying to make professional wresting a more appealing presentation to real governing bodies or something. I think it was a plan to get some funding from Sport England.

From what I understand from the first post, it is the match itself that would be rated and not the individual wrestlers in the match.

Which match on a show is the best? That is the "winner".

Let's take No Way Out as an example. Daniel Bryan vs Kane vs CM Punk was the best match on the show, and as a result the "winners" of No Way Out were Daniel Bryan, Kane and CM Punk for putting on the best display of wrestling.

It is perfectly alright to discuss a show and which match was best, but how would it look if "pro wrestling was real competion" and Daniel Bryan, Kane and CM Punk were presented as the winners of No Way Out and celebrated their performance together at the end of the PPV? :rolleyes: In this example, I would have felt sorry for Ricardo and Santino who were stuck in a tuxedo match and doomed to lose in "a real competition" at No Way Out :laugh:

From what I understand from the first post, it is the match itself that would be rated and not the individual wrestlers in the match.

Let's take No Way Out as an example. Daniel Bryan vs Kane vs CM Punk was the best match on the show, and as a result the "winners" of No Way Out were Daniel Bryan, Kane and CM Punk for putting on the best display of wrestling.

:

The biggest problem with that is that it`s open to interpretation, for instance I though Sheamus/ Ziggler and Christian/Cody Rhodes were far better matches than the triple threat.

I've seen lots of shows where you might have though this 'prizefighter' concept was in play. On the flipside, I've seen others where top workers like a Danny Garnell finish people off with a DDT out of nowhere in the opener. Make every match open to judging to determine its worth would only turn shows into an overlong, overcomplicated, bloated mess where nothing gets over as everything is a big move. Or, for short, ROH.

• Paid Members
Im sorry for the trolly nature of this comment but does anyone else look at a thread and want to just headbutt a wall repeatedly?

It's concussions all round when Flash starts a new one.

:

The biggest problem with that is that it`s open to interpretation, for instance I though Sheamus/ Ziggler and Christian/Cody Rhodes were far better matches than the triple threat.

This was kinda the point of me posting. After all, surely the same is true for gymnastics judges. They have particular criteria that they must mark to, but how these things are performed are marked according to a particular point of view. So I was wondering what people would think on this if wrestling were to be marked in a similar fashion. After all, if you're keeping it all the same (being a work, predetermined story lines and outcomes etc) then it has to, at least in my book, become an aesthetics competition.

Archived