What if pro wrestling were real...?

pmy008

This is a double header thread (see here) spawned from a thought process inspired by BBC Radio 5 Live's Fighting Talk.

If pro wrestling were to become a real sport, but not change anything about how it's done, how would you assess the winners?

My thoughts were as follows:

Make wrestling akin to gymnastics, figure skating or synchronized swimming. A match is assessed for it's artistic merit and scores are scaled on a level of difficulty of the moves performed and the time allocated to the match.

You would have different markers needing to be met depending on your type of match. For example, a standard "big man" (note, not giant, simply the 6'+ muscle guys) match up that WWE loves to promote would be looking for crowd reaction garnered by each wrestler, believability of the moves (basically the execution of the delivery and the reaction as it's received) and how well the story is told through the match. A "spotfest" would be assessed on the gymnastic qualities in the moves, the cohesiveness of the moves through the match and the number of "Holy shit/ECW" chants garnered from the crowd.

Points would be deducted for blading and cheap pops.

How would you do it?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
A "spotfest" would be assessed on the gymnastic qualities in the moves, the cohesiveness of the moves through the match and the number of "Holly shot/ECW" chants garnered from the crowd.

"Holly Shot" could be a brawling Diva who would get that chant whenever she put somebody through a table or something. You should Email Shane Douglas with that one.

So you mean in a sense where, you would score points based on the skill in the perfomance like those dancing tv shows you see? Or if they were really trying to beat the other person?, in which case Kurt Angle or Brock Lesnar would probably have all the belts.

The winner is the guy who can draw the most money (points deducted for drug use, being a cunt in the locker-room, suicide attempts and kiddy strangling).

It is real, and that's how you decide the "Winner".

If pro wrestling were to become a real sport, but not change anything about how it's done, how would you assess the winners?

And i have to agree:

I have to be honest, your post really hurt my head!

There is nothing to gain from making wrestling a "real sport" in the way you desribe!

A "spotfest" would be assessed on the gymnastic qualities in the moves, the cohesiveness of the moves through the match and the number of "Holly shot/ECW" chants garnered from the crowd.

"Holly Shot" could be a brawling Diva who would get that chant whenever she put somebody through a table or something. You should Email Shane Douglas with that one.

Lol, thanks. Wouldn't have noticed that mistake if you hadn't said!

So you mean in a sense where, you would score points based on the skill in the perfomance like those dancing tv shows you see? Or if they were really trying to beat the other person?, in which case Kurt Angle or Brock Lesnar would probably have all the belts.

Deffo the skill. Otherwise pro wrestling would have to change as some of the moves just wouldn't happen.

• Paid Members
This is a double header thread (see here) spawned from a thought process inspired by BBC Radio 5 Live's Fighting Talk.

My thoughts were as follows:

Make wrestling akin to gymnastics, figure skating or synchronized swimming. A match is assessed for it's artistic merit and scores are scaled on a level of difficulty of the moves performed and the time allocated to the match.

You would have different markers needing to be met depending on your type of match. For example, a standard "big man" (note, not giant, simply the 6'+ muscle guys) match up that WWE loves to promote would be looking for crowd reaction garnered by each wrestler, believability of the moves (basically the execution of the delivery and the reaction as it's received) and how well the story is told through the match. A "spotfest" would be assessed on the gymnastic qualities in the moves, the cohesiveness of the moves through the match and the number of "Holy shit/ECW" chants garnered from the crowd.

Points would be deducted for blading and cheap pops.

How would you do it?

If wrestling was like this? With a noose, probably, or a gun if I knew how to get one.

And i have to agree:

I have to be honest, your post really hurt my head!

There is nothing to gain from making wrestling a "real sport" in the way you desribe!

But the point of the thread is to imagine the idea and see how it could be done. It's never going to happen, but there's no harm in thinking how it could work.

Didn't Alex Shane want to do this a couple of years ago (judging wrestling as a real sport akin to gymnastics)?

He's wanted to do everything at one stage or another, hasn't he? This wasn't his worst idea. Still not keen though.

• Paid Members
Didn't Alex Shane want to do this a couple of years ago (judging wrestling as a real sport akin to gymnastics)?

He's wanted to do everything at one stage or another, hasn't he? This wasn't his worst idea. Still not keen though.

I never said I was keen on it. Obviously neither were many other people since it's not come to fruition.

Archived