The Tennis Thread

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members

Let's watch some tennis.

Who's winning it out of Djokovic, Nadal and Federer this year, then? Sharapova for the women's title or to hopefully drop out early so we don't have to listen to the screeching?

There should be plenty of excitement on the totty front as well as there has never been such a wide selection of totty that I can remember. Hopefully Maria Kirilenko will get some TV time this year rather than stuck out on court 167 like she usually is.

Looking forward to Andy Murray's now-traditional semi-final blowout.

If his last two matches on grass are anything to go by he won't make it to the Semi's. Especially with having to face Ferrer in the quarters if they both get through.

• Paid Members

Yeah, nasty first round tie, that. His best bet is the US or Australian. He's far better on hard courts than any other surface. I think he will beat Davydenko, though.

On the Murray front, couple of questions:

1: Do England fans hate the whole 'He's British' thing or do you cheer him on as you would Henman and such?

2: Speaking of Tiger Tim - is Murray destined to never win it? I've always thought he will eventually but most people seem to think he doesn't have it in him.

• Paid Members

I'm a massive Tennis fan and a big Murray fan and I'm English. However, I'm a fan of his as I enjoy his style of play. I even had a holiday in Dubai to coincide with this year's Dubai Duty Free Championships where Murray faced Federer in the final after beating Djokovic in the Semis.

Personally, I cheer him on as much as I did Henman, if not more. It's a shame that Murray is the greatest tennis player in british history (in terms of what he can do on the court as I'm not dispelling Fred Perry's achievements) but he is in an era that's most likely the greatest in tennis history.

Is he destined to never win it? I don't see that at all. He's been in several finals (US and Aussie) and if only body held up he could have won them.

For me, he needs to up his aggression. Too many times is he happy to out rally someone and when he comes up against the big boys he is playing the same way. He needs to take the offensive on select rallies putting his opponent on the back foot more often than he currently is.

I'm still not sure about this link up with Llendl as well but we shall see.

• Paid Members
On the Murray front, couple of questions:

1: Do England fans hate the whole 'He's British' thing or do you cheer him on as you would Henman and such?

2: Speaking of Tiger Tim - is Murray destined to never win it? I've always thought he will eventually but most people seem to think he doesn't have it in him.

1) I didn't used to cheer Henman or Rusedski on, so it doesn't make any odds to me.

2) I don't think he will ever win Wimbledon. He should have won a grand slam by now, though, but with the rise of Djokovic I'm not sure he ever will, and that would be a criminal waste of his obvious talents. At his best, he's a truly great player and has proved that he can beat Nadal, Federer and Djokovic on numerous occasions. But he's his own worst enemy, that's the main problem with Murray.

So, who are we cheering for then? I'm on Team Novak all the way. Hopped on that bandwagon after Roddick combusted after his devastating Wimbledon loss to Federer (I know everyone goes on about Federer/Nadal the year before, and rightly so, but this match absolutely broke me). I know some people find Djokovic to be quite dull but I can't help but buy into his incredible conviction and self-belief. He's a machine, but not a robot like Federer.

• Paid Members

I don't really know why people would find Novak dull, he's a wonderful player with a fantastic range of play and strokes. I'd say the same for Federer, mind you. Thankfully the Sampras / Ivanisevic era of one dimensional slammers is well behind us.

I will be cheering on Murray as he is a fine player, but also Tsonga who really is about as much fun as you get in tennis now.

On the women's side, I love watching Schiavone, she's a cracking player on her day. Hopefully she'll do well, she starts out against Laura Robson, I think.

• Moderators

C'MON JEREMY BATES!

I can't be doing with Murray, so are any of the following flying the flag for Britain this year?

Alex Bogdanovic,

Martin Lee,

Barry Cowan,

Miles Maclaghan,

Arvind Parmar.

• Paid Members

I don't mind being British to be honest. Apart from football, where I'm very much England, I'm happy for us to be one nation. I don't have any malice towards the Scots or the Welsh. Not sure too many English really do.

I think he's unlucky. Djokovic, Federer and Nadal are probably the three best male tennis players of all time. I think in a different era, Murray would have won a Grand Slam.

• Paid Members
C'MON JEREMY BATES!

I can't be doing with Murray, so are any of the following flying the flag for Britain this year?

Alex Bogdanovic,

Martin Lee,

Barry Cowan,

Miles Maclaghan,

Arvind Parmar.

Boggo's still around, Butch, but they won't let him play at Wimbledon any more :(

Cracking match in progress between line-judge mauling Argie Nalbandian and Tipsarevic on court 1 that will probably still be going by 6:30.

Archived