Jerry Lynn

Flash

was listening to the art of wrestling podcast with jerry lynn this morning and i have alot of love for jerry lynn, his matches are always good and he brings out the best in alot of people, he is retiring this year and i doubt we will see him over here so what are your best memories of the whole f'in show

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
was listening to the art of wrestling podcast with jerry lynn this morning and i have alot of love for jerry lynn, his matches are always good and he brings out the best in alot of people, he is retiring this year and i doubt we will see him over here so what are your best memories of the whole f'in show

I'm pretty sure we will be seeing him over here before he retires.

what are your best memories of the whole f'in show

Well I love RVD loads, he's class. But this is hardly the place.

Jerry Lynn is fab in any event. Always a reliable hand on even the crappiest of indy wrestling shows. It's a shame he didn't get out of ECW when the Monday night wars were still active. Even if it was late 2000. He would have been a nice fit in either company. By the time 2001 came, the WWE was just too full for somebody with limited mic skills and small stature to be given television time. He must of known he'd be fucked as soon as his (excellent) match with RVD was heavily edited for television cutting out the majority of Lynn's offence.

• Paid Members

He's had some good matches, I think he's unfairly derided by some people because they think his reputation is over inflated on the strength of his well-remembered matches with RVD. He fits firmly into the category of "some good matches, one or two great matches, hasnt really left a lasting impression on either the sport or myself" that dozens of guys have over the years. He's basically another Christian to me, except nowhere near as famous or successful.

• Paid Members

According to Lance Storm all the old WCW wrestlers in the WWF at the time (like Jericho, Benoit, Guerrero, Malenko etc), thought he was a massive spanner as well, which never helps. Apparently he faked an injury in Japan, and they were giving him shit about it until the day WCW released him.

Good wrestler, though. Never thought he was at the level of a Benoit or anything. The Christian comparison is a sound one actually. Had RVD's best ever match in TNA as well last year. You can't deny they have great chemistry infront of a paying audience.

I can't say I'd put more that 30 pence on Jerry Lynn retiring. Him, Lance Storm and Steve Corino ALWAYS do this. The bookings will start rolling in and they wont turn the offers down, because promoters can't help themselves when there are retired wrestlers waiting for the phone to ring and wrestlers like making a few quid doing something they enjoy.

He's had some good matches, I think he's unfairly derided by some people because they think his reputation is over inflated on the strength of his well-remembered matches with RVD. He fits firmly into the category of "some good matches, one or two great matches, hasnt really left a lasting impression of either the sport or myself" that dozens of guys have over the years. He's basically another Christian to me, except nowhere near as famous or successful.

People are entitled to have that opinion though, and there IS a lot of truth to that. I guess it depends on how bothered somebody is to check out his back catalogue. He was having excellent matches with Lightening Kid in the early 90's that got tape traders buzzing, but people who would have seen that are in the vast minority. Same could probably be said of his run with TNA in its early days when he gae credibility to the likes of Styles and Low Ki. At the end of the day the vast majority of people will only think you've made a lasting impression if you've made it in the WWE. I see both sides of that argument.

• Paid Members

He was great at the junior heavyweight style and would have to be credited as one of the guys that most influenced TNA's X-Division. I'm sure the likes of AJ, Daniels and Aries all love the guy. He was one of the top guys working that style throughout nineties. The fact that he kept it up throughout the 2000's is impressive. A lot of his stuff looks really choreographed for my liking though and he was never any cop on the mic. His look was dated by 2001 and he still looks the same today, but to be honest I don't mind that. I like wrestlers to look like wrestlers, not ordinary dudes.

I'm pretty sure we will be seeing him over here before he retires.

October 13th & 14th, Sittingbourne, IPW 8 Year Anniversary Shows :thumbsup:

I met him at 1pw in 2005. Don't remember much of the meeting but he was cool to pose for a photo. From his RF shoot and this AOW interview, he comes across as just the nicest guy. Constantly grinning and making jokes (perhaps a reason he never got a huge chance and got lost in the shuffle in major companies because he was too nice?). He looks great for his age too. While not one of my favourites, he's had great matches with Styles, RVD, Lance Storm and Justin Credible which I can easily rewatch again. I recently watched his match with Waltman from TNA in 2005 and it's a great match which was based on some real tension that Lynn had towards him at one time.

I would certainly say that him 'faking' an injury in Japan is not an open and shut case - I've heard him say on several interviews IIRC that he broke his heel a couple of matches into a Japan tour, taped it up and continued wrestling anyway, getting mocked by Benoit and Malenko because they thought he was faking it, then someone didn't catch him on a dive and he did his shoulder in and had to go home - which got him in trouble with WCW front office.

Lynn comes off as a really decent bloke and I would probably take his word over WCW's head office, and Benoit to be honest...

I think he has had a really good career - and would say he is more like a less famous (notorious?) X Pac as they had similar career paths... I don't think his early Global stuff and TNA 2002 resurgance has been mentioned enough here but both were quality stuff!

Archived