best njpw (new japan) shows of all time?

wrestlemania

Really into njpw japanese wrestling at the moment and just wondering if someone can suggest some of the better ppvs/events they've ever put on that are well worth watching? Not including the obvious ones that people will say like the joint NJPW-WCW Tokyo Dome shows and Super J Cup. I remember Powerslam mentioned a few of the best New Japan shows in a recent issue but dont remember the names of events

Yay! I can come in with the correct answer:

Super J Cup 1994

Probably the best event outside of AJW to ever take place. Happens to be NJPW.

:)

And... fuck, i shoulda read the original post better

:(

I don't know that it's the best but it's certainly one of my favourites and the first not-obvious choice that comes to mind:

Battle Formation (29 April 1996) - Hashimoto vs. Takada in a heated interpromotional match, Muta vs. Shinzaki in a bloodbath spectacle, Liger vs. Sasuke junior heavyweight goodness, Fujinami vs. Tenryu in a legends battle, Hawk/Animal/Power Warrior vs. The Steiners/Norton and then also the added bonus of Savage & Luger in a Japanese ring.

Some of the annual January 4th and G1 Climax final day shows are also well worth checking out, even if only for the fact that they are the two biggest NJPW events of the year and always have something good on them, at the least.

Has anyone seen the summer night fever show it is meant to be awesome really want to see it?.:) I'm going to order the battle formation show from lynch after your recommendation pgi86 but got to say i love the shows poster.

PO20110507_0187.jpg

PO20110507_0188.jpg

• Paid Members
Battle Formation (29 April 1996)

This is a pretty safe, stock answer to the question. It's also the right answer. Cracking card that builds to an incredible climactic collision which as mentioned is heated as fuck.

For a more recent event, I think last years Wrestle Kingdom was brilliant. If you can stand the TNA intrusion, there are some absolute belters at the top end of the card.

Archived