Tag Team Splits

Direct Impact

With rumours of WWE trying to reinvest interest in the tag division, it got me thinking of the glory years of tag wrestling (Late 80's, 90's & Early 00's). Nowadays when Tag Teams split it doesn't really mean much, because there is no investment in the teams, and often the split teams don't even feud.

So I thought I'd start a discussion about tag team splits.

What's your favourite split and subsequent feud?

What's your worst split/ feud?

I'm guessing many people will mention The Rocker's split, this was well executed, and memorable for the Barber Shop incident. I also enjoyed Edge & Christians original split in 2001, it built up after several months, and they both came out of it well.

The Hardy Boyz split's have never been that successful, or their matches/ feuds. I did used to enjoy when teams didn't split but ended up going against each other for some reason (KOTR Match/ Royal Rumble).

Can you recall any teams that didn't split/ feud, would you have liked to see them feud? This got me thinking did L.O.D ever feud (I think they may have had "issues" when Droz was with them) but did they ever have a proper feud/ match? I would have liked to see a mini APA feud when Bradshaw became JBL.

Also what are your favourite reunions/ reformations of teams that have split/ feuded.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
With rumours of WWE trying to reinvest interest in the tag division, it got me thinking of the glory years of tag wrestling (Late 80's, 90's & Early 00's). Nowadays when Tag Teams split it doesn't really mean much, because there is no investment in the teams, and often the split teams don't even feud.

Really?! I thought the majority do fued? I can only think of a handful of rare times when a tag split had not resulted in a fued (apa and hardys the second time around). Can you name a few because I'm genuinely stumped.

Really?! I thought the majority do fued? I can only think of a handful of rare times when a tag split had not resulted in a fued (apa and hardys the second time around). Can you name a few because I'm genuinely stumped.

I'm talking about recent Tag Team splits as in the last year or two. For example (I don't recall) the Hart Dynasty feuding after they split. For several years when team's split they haven't really seemed to feud, you might be lucky to get a one off match, but more should be made of it.

A lot of the teams that split between 2002-2005 (for example Hardys, Dudleyz, APA) tended to split due to the brand split, so they didn't really feud, although there was the odd interaction on PPV's.

Well maybe I should have worded it that they don't make a big enough deal of a feud between split teams nowadays. It used to be more of a big deal when teams split.

You shouldve worded it that they dont make a big enought deal of tag team full stop!

My favourite one in years, possibly ever has been Beer Money's split.

Its one of the very few where both members of the team have came out (much) stronger for it.

The Rockers one was a classic though. It was about the time I first started watching. The barber shop angle was gripping stuff.

Only thing I hadnt liked about it though, was that I was more a fan of Marty Janetty, and wanted to see him be the one to succeed.

Also, it was far too long before the feud happened (Almost a year), at which point they made out that Janetty had been out the whole time recovering, completely ignoring that he had a short singles run after the split. That annoyed me at the time.

I remember being excited whn Bulldog and Owen Hart was looking like they would split. Owen was really at his obnoxious best and Bulldog just looked like he'd had enough. It was slow and they had that tremendous match for the European Championship to add fuel to the fire. Then it turned into something better with the Hart Foundation, so not technically a split but damn was it a good swerve.

I thought the Colons split was shit. At the time they seem to have more promise as a team than anyone else and they seemed over, watching them in Liverpool live they got a good reaction. Than they turned and they had like one six pack match to resolve the feud. Meh. BTW, I mean Carlito and Primo.

Team 3D's recent split in TNA has been a revelation. Not so much the actual split, although I thought that was decent, but the fact we now have Bully Ray. :)

Archived