Sign in to follow this  
extacy of farts

Premier League 2012/2013 Discussion

Well what a welcome we have received, Man City away to start us off. This could be a long season.

That's how Swansea started last year and it worked out well in the end.

How about adding Man Utd and Aresnal within the first month as well?

I'm sure that you play every team twice over the course of a season anyway. I really wouldn't worry, Southampton have some decent players and for every Man City there is a Norwich or QPR.

Interesting tweet from Dale Johnson at ESPN:

Manchester United away all but one of weekends after #UCL matches. To Liverpool, Newcastle, Chelsea, Aston Villa and Man City. Ouch. #mufc

Ugly fixture list from a United point of view. We're away to Liverpool, Newcastle, Chelsea, Villa and City immediately after five of our six CL group stage games. Away on both first and last day of the season. Also, IF United were to progress far into the Champions League, we have fixtures against Arsenal and Chelsea after each semi final leg.

EDIT: Should have read the thread and seen Rick made pretty much the same point.

Edited by JohnnyChimpo

As already pointed out, it's too hard to call the top 6 while there is plenty of business to be done- and I think it's a more vital window for the top half (City aside) than I can remember. For example, an improvement for Arsenal next season would be to finish 2nd, or to win a cup. Although winning a cup I can see happening, I stuggle to believe we can finish higher in the league. Even if we keep our top players and strengthen, Chelsea could give us a big fight for 3rd as it stands.

I'll review again in a month and a half. And then again on Sep 1st...

Fuck another slow start for the Blues awaits, why did it have to be United first. Interesting derby dates as well, October is normal for the first but the Anfield game has to be one of the latest derby in years, the third to last game

Ahh, the most pointless and over analysed day of the football season is upon us again. I really loathe the day the fixtures are released, it really doesnt have any bearing on how the league turns out.

Rumours were spot on for us I see, Arsenal away followed by Reading at home was what was being said yesterday - as was our derbies being in October & April (albeit they got the home & away mixed up).

Heard some Arsenal fans saying their game with us might have to get switched, due to something about not being able to play at home because of the Paralympics - though I don't know how true that is as the dates don't clash at all.

Ahh, the most pointless and over analysed day of the football season is upon us again. I really loathe the day the fixtures are released, it really doesnt have any bearing on how the league turns out.

You're like a kid (in an orphange) at Christmas.

Heard some Arsenal fans saying their game with us might have to get switched, due to something about not being able to play at home because of the Paralympics - though I don't know how true that is as the dates don't clash at all.

I read months ago that the PL had been asked not to schedule any games in London in the first 2 weeks of the tournament.

Laurent Blanc in preliminary talks with Spurs accoring to SkySports. Gotta say I didn't see that coming at all.

Edited by Lefty

This is giving me serious deja-vu of the whole Jacques Santini affair, but I suppose in his defence Blanc will have a much better knowledge of English football having played over here and has had good recent success at club level.

Blanc's the perfect man to understand the fine balance between Tottenhams strengths and weaknesses. He played in Spurs 3-5 United, after all.

Chelsea have released a couple of artists impressions of their plans for Battersea Power Station (Full story here: http://www.chelseafc.com/page/LatestNews/0...819314,00.html)

Love them or loath them, it really is a massive shame that it was sold off to become yet another Shopping Centre or something. This would have been a unique use of a historic old building. A real first. It could've featured on Grand Designs. :(

0102681097954800.jpg

0102681097954900.jpg

I'm really hoping we stick in a higher bid to make the current BPS owners reconsider. Failing that, perhaps the Malaysian consortium taking over would consider selling the site or working with Chelsea. Clutching at straws, I know, but I think the 'preferred bidder' thing isn't the end of it. As a CPO member, assuming the terms were right, that iconic design would definitely get a yes vote from me. Sadly, it probably won't get that far. Not at the BPS site. Possibly elsewhere in Nine Elms.

As for league predictions, I'd say, if current big transfer rumours come true:

1. Manchester City

2. Manchester United

3. Chelsea

4. Arsenal

5. Liverpool

6. Spurs

Perhaps a bit too early to predict, though.