Favourite WWF Card

G-Unit

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

There's just something about Summerslam they always seem bang on brilliant. 1991 is one of my fave shows and the 1st PPV I think I watched. I have a vivid memory of being in tears when the cobra popped out the wedding box.

I have a few

Canadian Stampede

Backlash 2000

Wrestlemania 17

I echo the praise for Fully Loaded 2000 as well, the first 9 months of 2000 in WWF is my favorite period in wrestling history.

I like Wrestlemania 8 as well, think that was my first event.

Wrestlemania 8 for me. WWF will never match the amount of star power they had at the time.

And you could actually say it was for one night only. After that show, Hogan, Jake and Piper were basically gone (or at least off our screens) with Sid following a mere month later, whilst before it there was no Warrior. I guess technically you could go back to around summerslam 91 when the roster was effectively identical.

It's a similar story with WM12, albeit not quite as star-studded. Pre-attitude era, that night was probably the most stacked the WWF roster ever was since WM8. Before the event there was no Warrior; after it there was no Hitman, and Razor and Diesel would soon follow them out. Mankind and Mero all debuted around that time too, whilst 123 kid departed and Piper faded out of the picture again.

Any other moments in time when the roster was particularly loaded?

• Paid Members
Any other moments in time when the roster was particularly loaded?

The first few months of 2003 were well loaded.

You had Triple H, Taker, Angle, Lesnar, Steiner plus Cena was coming up. Hogan, Rock and Austin all came back around No Way Out. Goldberg came in after Wrestlemania. Shawn Michaels came back to the ring full time around then. Nash was there. Evolution was new and fresh with Orton and Batista on the rise. The midcard was pretty strong with Big Show, Kane, Edge, Jericho, Benoit, Eddie, Rey, RVD, Booker T etc.

Vince and Piper were all over TV back then aswell.

This is harder than it sounds initially because there are still loads of shows I couldn't watch easily in one sitting without a fast forward somewhere. However, I love the first two KOTR PPVs, outside of the Piper/Lawler match in 94 (the video package for that match was fucking class though). 93 was a great show for me as a pro Bret/anti Hogan kid, and I loved the tournament matches, world title match and everybody's colourful outfits at KOTR 94. The Rumble 90 and WM6 were my first shows so it's partly nostalgia, but I still think they hold up too. Survivor Series 1996 is another one that I can always watch through and enjoy everything. Especially with the jobber Survivors match on the Coliseum release.

In more modern times, I thought the 2011 Rumble was a fucking excellent show with the 40 Man Rumble being brilliant and the fantastic Edge/Ziggler opener. I loved the Miz' title run so really enjoyed his defense against Orton which I know wouldn't be for everybody.

..... and WM6 were my first shows so it's partly nostalgia, but I still think they hold up too.

I'm somewhat torn in my thoughts on WM6. I'm in a similar boat in that it was my first show, and I love it to bits from a nostalgia perspective. There's a lot on it that does hold up, but there's just as much throwaway crap you'd have no need to ever watch again. It must've just been the way they done things in those days.... everybody got a 1vs1, even if there was no feud of background. I did enjoy anticipating the PPV reports on Challenge and superstars to be surprised with some random matches back then, but those type of matches took up half this show - many of them a formality.

The worst of it was, there had been recent feuds amongst those wrestlers with shitty filler matches that they could've made meaningful, more important matches out of - for example, blowoffs to the recent Rude/Piper feud, and Martel/Santana which had been going on over the past year. They could've ran those matches and given Barbarian and Bad News News wins vs Koko and Snuka

All in all, I'm far more fond of the following years show. I loved it then and still do. Shit like Tornado/Bravo should never have been near it granted, but I think there's a lot less filler than the previous year, all the big matches deliver as do many of the midcard ones, and it's just a brilliant event to me, even watching today.

Archived