Favourite WWF Card

G-Unit

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
What is your favourite WWF show that you could watch over and over again? Mine has to be Wrestlemania 10 due to the ladder match and the main event!

Wait, Yoko/Bret over Owen/Bret. Really?

The answer is and always will be Wrestlemania X-7.

What happened to that best/worst PPV ever poll we had? I wrote up a massive diatribe about my abject hatred for Wrestlemania 2 and never submitted it.

• Paid Members
The answer is and always will be Wrestlemania X-7.

What happened to that best/worst PPV ever poll we had? I wrote up a massive diatribe about my abject hatred for Wrestlemania 2 and never submitted it.

ShortOrderCook was going to do a list thread but he never delivered ;)

Wrestlemania X-7 obviously has to be up there. For me I really enjoyed No Mercy 2002..The 2 World Title main events I thought were great especially Lesnar vs Undertaker in the Hell in the Cell. The HITC is probably my favourite match of all time. Plus a pretty good undercard with Angle and Benoit vs Edge and Mysterio for the tag titles.

• Paid Members

Well, I always wheel out Rumble 1991 when the "best opener" thread comes around, and it's pretty much my stock answer for this too.

Everything is just fun. The tag match is great, Bossman/Barbar is great. The WWF title match is fairly dramatic and Savage's workrate for his run in is through the roof, and the Rhodes/Rhodes v DiBiase/Virgil match features one of the most stirring face turns I can remember. The Royal Rumble itself is chock full of favourites of the era, and the right man won. The show is just brilliant for every reason I might want to watch wrestling. Good matches, "fun factor," some feelgood babyface moments.... why, Sherri hitting on Warrior even gives me the mild horn.

If you're looking for an answer in the mindset of "not pressing fast forward once" there aren't all that many answers for me, but any tape from 1989-1991 qualifies. Only the tedium of Bushwhackers/Beverlys at Rumble 1992 derails the run, I never want to watch that again.

Also Survivors 96 and Canadian Stampede.

• Paid Members

I absolutely loved Summerslam 98 for ages. Haven't seen it in years now and as with a lot of Attitude era stuff I don't know how well it holds up but from memory I fucking loved everything about it.

The build up to Autin/Taker was quality I thought, the Highway to Hell tagline fit and they went all out with music videos and stuff. I didn't feel like the match itself quite lived up to the hype but still enjoyed it. The sight of Taker's top rope leg drop to the announcers table sticks in my memory. The Taker/Kane unholy alliance stuff before this show added to the whole thing for me.

Main event aside I really liked the Rock/HHH ladder match, the Shamrock/Owen Lions Den match was something new and fun for what it was. X-Pac vs Jarrett was a tidy mid card match and I remember thinking D'Lo vs Val Venis was a belting opener.

All that plus the tremendous 'gates of hell' entrance way. Looked the dog's bollocks. A really fun card top to bottom.

Summerslam 91 is one for me for feel good value. The first time Ric Flairs name is mentioned on WWF ppv with Heenan running around with the belt trying to talk to Hogan. This was hugely exciting and Flair wasn't there. Opening 6man match with legends Bulldog, Steamboat and Kerry von Erich. Bret Hart and Hennigs classic, the King of the ring match doesn't come close for me and just rehashes most of the spots. The best looking sharshooter, tearing of the tights and celebrating with the family for the first time on camera. Perfect did such a good job he never really recovered. Bret Hart was the man after this match. The Natural Disasters as a new team seemed unstoppable and who better to beat on than the Bushwhackers. Bossman v The Mountie, the multiple slams by bossman, the Mounties prematch interviews rubbing NYC's finest the wrong way, Rougeau was great as the jailbird. Ted Diabiase finally got his comeuppance at the hands of Virgil, I like the bit when Diabiase gives him three vertical suplexes while Piper pleads on commentary. Legion of Doom finally getting the tag gold Animals powersalm and Hawk hitting one of the nasties with a tub of drinks in ice come to mind. Elizabet..will you marry me! Raise a tear for the Macho/Elizabeth montage. Hulk Hogan and Ultimate Warrior in a tag team. Sid in WWF for the first time. But whos side is he on? Slaughter and Sheik in a tag team. Was a feel good card. With Hogan and Warrior posing in the ring at the end. There was Greg Valentine and IRS as well.

This card had alot of firsts and was great and they didn't use Undertaker, Flair, Roberts, Savgage in matches. Was a great time.

Well, I always wheel out Rumble 1991 when the "best opener" thread comes around, and it's pretty much my stock answer for this too.

Everything is just fun. The tag match is great, Bossman/Barbar is great. The WWF title match is fairly dramatic and Savage's workrate for his run in is through the roof, and the Rhodes/Rhodes v DiBiase/Virgil match features one of the most stirring face turns I can remember. The Royal Rumble itself is chock full of favourites of the era, and the right man won. The show is just brilliant for every reason I might want to watch wrestling. Good matches, "fun factor," some feelgood babyface moments.... why, Sherri hitting on Warrior even gives me the mild horn.

If you're looking for an answer in the mindset of "not pressing fast forward once" there aren't all that many answers for me, but any tape from 1989-1991 qualifies. Only the tedium of Bushwhackers/Beverlys at Rumble 1992 derails the run, I never want to watch that again.

Also Survivors 96 and Canadian Stampede.

I remember having a think about this when the list thing came up a few months ago, but I'd still struggle to pick one for definite. We must have pretty similar tastes though as the 1991 Rumble and Survivor Series 1996 would be right in there with a shout on my shortlist.

You can't forget Mountie v Birdman though! :)

The 92 Rumble should have had a Jake v Savage singles blowoff rather than that neverending Bushwhackers shite if they weren't holding out to Wrestlemania.

The 'not pressing the remote' criteria would make things a bit more difficult though because others that I consider to be some of my favourite shows still have some FF material on it; Wrestlemania 7, Summerslam 89, 91, 92.... KOTR93 etc.

• Paid Members

Yeah Survivor Series 96, Summerslam 89 and KOTR 93 would all be right up there for me aswell.

Thinking about it I think Backlash 2000 might be my favourite. That was an excellent show, had a bit of everything on it and I don't recall being bored or disinterested at any point watching it.

Summerslam 91 is one for me for feel good value. The first time Ric Flairs name is mentioned on WWF ppv with Heenan running around with the belt trying to talk to Hogan. This was hugely exciting and Flair wasn't there. Opening 6man match with legends Bulldog, Steamboat and Kerry von Erich. Bret Hart and Hennigs classic, the King of the ring match doesn't come close for me and just rehashes most of the spots. The best looking sharshooter, tearing of the tights and celebrating with the family for the first time on camera. Perfect did such a good job he never really recovered. Bret Hart was the man after this match. The Natural Disasters as a new team seemed unstoppable and who better to beat on than the Bushwhackers. Bossman v The Mountie, the multiple slams by bossman, the Mounties prematch interviews rubbing NYC's finest the wrong way, Rougeau was great as the jailbird. Ted Diabiase finally got his comeuppance at the hands of Virgil, I like the bit when Diabiase gives him three vertical suplexes while Piper pleads on commentary. Legion of Doom finally getting the tag gold Animals powersalm and Hawk hitting one of the nasties with a tub of drinks in ice come to mind. Elizabet..will you marry me! Raise a tear for the Macho/Elizabeth montage. Hulk Hogan and Ultimate Warrior in a tag team. Sid in WWF for the first time. But whos side is he on? Slaughter and Sheik in a tag team. Was a feel good card. With Hogan and Warrior posing in the ring at the end. There was Greg Valentine and IRS as well.

This card had alot of firsts and was great and they didn't use Undertaker, Flair, Roberts, Savgage in matches. Was a great time.

Agree on the sentiment completely. From the opening bell to IRS winning, this show was near-perfect. The only thing that holds it back for me is the main event, and not using Jake and Taker. The ship had long since sailed with the triad of terror and it was just impossible to get excited about, considering the feud was over and the Iraqi's had no momentum (or hope) whatsoever. Granted, the big story was what Sid would do, but it really was weak for the main event of the 2nd biggest show of the year. There were so many better alternatives, the easiest one being just to take the two duffers out, and add Jake and Taker, or even just Taker with Jake at ringside causing bother. Slaughter could take the pin considering he was just about to head back to the midcard anyway.

The Rockers would have been better to beat on than the Bushwhackers, but I think Shawn was injured..again. The shit.

And just to be a pedantic bugger as I know that it's just a typo.... it was Sid posing at the end ;)

• Paid Members
You can't forget Mountie v Birdman though! :)

I can and will! It's not on the Silver Vision version, and as such I've never actually seen it. Might watch it on yootoob just for the hell of it.

The 'not pressing the remote' criteria would make things a bit more difficult though because others that I consider to be some of my favourite shows still have some FF material on it; Wrestlemania 7, Summerslam 89, 91, 92.... KOTR93 etc.

See, there isnt anything on most of those that I would skip. The full unedited versions of some matches on Mania VII maybe, but the Silver Vision version slices up a lot of them so the worst matches are too brief to bother fast forwarding too. Unfortunately that also meant missing a good slice of (IMO) an enjoyable Bulldog/Warlord tussle too.

You can keep KOTR though. Bret's matches were excellent but I doze off during Luger/Tatanka and Yoko's ten minute bearhug on the Hulk.

Yeah Survivor Series 96, Summerslam 89 and KOTR 93 would all be right up there for me aswell.

Thinking about it I think Backlash 2000 might be my favourite. That was an excellent show, had a bit of everything on it and I don't recall being bored or disinterested at any point watching it.

Yeah, Backlash is a good shout.

The only thing for me on SummerSlam 89 I'm not bothered about is Valentine/Herc, but that's too brief to be offended by. The rest of it is a shitload of fun. I especially get a kick out of the unexpected back to back bodyslams of both Twin Towers by Smash in one six-man, and the general all-round great work of all six in Tito/Rockers vs Martel/Rougeaus, as well as a cracking opener, excellent Intercontinental title match, and lots of other goodness before a classic "fun" Hulkamania main event. Plus Ventura abusing Tony Schiavone.

Archived