Welsh Wrestling on BBC Breakfast

Ravenhill Promotions

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I saw it and I hated it. You had Bison Brody facing the presenter with the presenter inside a huge bubble suit thing. This was followed by the two skinniest trainees ever displaying the weakest death valley driver esque move ever.

It made wrestling look stupid and hokey.

I saw it and I hated it. You had Bison Brody facing the presenter with the presenter inside a huge bubble suit thing. This was followed by the two skinniest trainees ever displaying the weakest death valley driver esque move ever.

It made wrestling look stupid and hokey.

Like I said, I haven't seen it. The two skinny trainees I believe are from All Stars training school and I didn't realise they were in it.

The back story behind it is that the guy who invented the Bodyzorb (the bubble thing) came to a show of ours last year and filmed this

to help promote his new product. As you can see the video got thousands of hits and got a lot of attention globally. So the guy approached the WWE about one of their guys taking Bison's place when they were over in the UK to air it on BBC. The WWE were all up for it and Big Show was set to film it with the BBC, but at the last minute they pulled out blaming insurance issues, so the call was made to Bison to step in.

As for it mocking wrestling, the only reason I knew it was aired this morning was because several mates of mine who don't like wrestling, called me to tell me about it, and they really enjoyed it, so couldn't have been that bad.

I was featured in that BBC vid, and I respect the fact that this might not be everyone's cup of tea. However, people need to realise that out of approximately 2 hours wrestling, only 2 and a half minutes were shown, the BBC edited the footage to suit their needs. In defence of the two trainees, they were extremely talented and both work for All Star and would give a lot of cruiserweights a run for their money. This feature was meant to be a light hearted insight into the business- not a sequel to Beyond the mat. I, along with James Mason, spoke of how difficult and punishing the schedule is, and tried to portray wrestling in a positive light. (only brief snippets were shown) We were built up as superior competitors- when Mike got in the ring first time around he quickly realised he would need protection (they cut that part) hence, they introduced a protective zorb. I am happy with the exposure and the fact that as of late, Welsh Wrestling has received national media interest. Some people may criticise the comedic aspect of the feature, but wrestling in essence is 'play pretend' and benefits from attracting a neutral fan base. The feedback is appreciated however! Bison

I had a text from my sister who also saw it and it was along the lines of 'I see that wrestling is still being laughed at'.

No disrespect to the promotion(s) involved but the bbc have made them look stupid imo and yes it was probably to suit tgeir own needs. The start with Mason taking the powerslam dn what he had to say was ok but all people will remember is Mike Bushell in that ridiculous ball.

BBC Has only one interest in wrestling thats, taking the piss, every experience working with the BBC Has been a bad one.

I've been fortunate that every experience i've had with the BBC has been a good one and has led onto something else. I've just had Real Radio call me about this mornings feature, and they now want to speak to us on air about upcoming shows.

BBC Has only one interest in wrestling thats, taking the piss, every experience working with the BBC Has been a bad one.

I've been fortunate that every experience i've had with the BBC has been a good one and has led onto something else. I've just had Real Radio call me about this mornings feature, and they now want to speak to us on air about upcoming shows.

i am really surprised if you thought that was good for wrestling, James and the other lad was ok, then it went downhill fast but as long as you are happy with it thats fine.

i am really surprised if you thought that was good for wrestling, James and the other lad was ok, then it went downhill fast but as long as you are happy with it thats fine.

I genuinely haven't seen it. I knew James and Bison were involved, but knew nothing of the two that were sent down from All Star.

And honestly, i'm not too bothered whether it was good for wrestling or not. The fact that the most listened to radio station in Wales (outside of BBC radio one and two) have already called me to get us on the air to plug upcoming shows, tells me that it's already been good for my business. And that's whats important to me.

I genuinely haven't seen it. I knew James and Bison were involved, but knew nothing of the two that were sent down from All Star.

And honestly, i'm not too bothered whether it was good for wrestling or not. The fact that the most listened to radio station in Wales (outside of BBC radio one and two) have already called me to get us on the air to plug upcoming shows, tells me that it's already been good for my business. And that's whats important to me.

That response surprises me Buddy heard great things about you but each to their own.

Mike bushall has tweeted about it, and he's done nothing but praise wrestling.

his first tweet was at someone who called wrestling a circus and not a sport, he tweeted " There guys are in action 6 to 7 days a week . Surely once their sport which is booming deserves some recognition"

and then he tweeted "Full respect to what these top wrestlers do. Seeing at first hand the power of @bisonbrody"

So at leasst one of BBC's top sports journalist doesnt think its a joke and is talking about it with respect.

• Moderators

That bodyzorb thing looks ace.

I thought it was good. It's BBC Breakfast, they aren't going to make wrestling look like Beyond the Mat for god's sakes and it's stupid to expect them to put wrestling over too much in a SUPAH SERIOUS manner. They put over the dangers of wrestling gave some face time to a few guys and namedropped Welsh Wrestling/Grand Slam so it's good for them, and the journo was obviously game, had fun, yet was respectful.

And again, the bodyzorb is quality.

That response surprises me Buddy heard great things about you but each to their own.

I appreciate that, and like you said it's each to their own. I'm assuming the thing that has surprised you is my comment on not being bothered whether it showed wrestling in a good light?

Maybe I should re-word it. I don't care how wrestling is portrayed by the media because like you referred to yourself, the media is very self-serving. All I care about when I deal with the media is that I get something out of it. Now when it comes to my shows and the people who pay money to attend and support us, that's completely different, I care deeply about how wrestling and my promotion is portrayed.

I do think people need to remember what wrestling is though. I know what it is, and I know what it isn't. And what it isn't - is a sport. So I never try to legitimise it in the eyes of the public or even to the media, I just try to sell it. Because that's what it is, a buisness. And like every other business, you have to sell the product to make the money. And I genuinely believe that the reason why i've only ever had good dealings with the media is because i've never insulted their intelligence or pretended that wrestling is something it isn't. I've spoken to them the way I would speak to any of my other business colleagues, and made sure that we both get what we want from the deal.

Archived