UFC on FX 4: 'Maynard vs Guida'

wandshogun09

Who wins?  

16 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members

Clay's definitly improved his striking but it feels like he's trying to hard with this head-foot movement. He's fought the same since i think the Ken-flo fight but he's always wrestled with it, Friday he went full-standup. If he learns to strike effectively whilst still moving around like a maniac he's gonna be hard to beat, i don't think he'll nail it but i think it's a work in progress.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
Clay's definitly improved his striking but it feels like he's trying to hard with this head-foot movement. He's fought the same since i think the Ken-flo fight but he's always wrestled with it, Friday he went full-standup. If he learns to strike effectively whilst still moving around like a maniac he's gonna be hard to beat, i don't think he'll nail it but i think it's a work in progress.

Really good point. Sometimes when a fighter's been training a specific discipline more or has a new *whatever* coach it's apparent that they want to 'play with their new toys'. Remember Sherk vs Edgar? Sean Sherk had trained so hard on his stand-up he was determined to box his way through that fight regardless.

As Ebb said, if Guida can link a couple more shots to that movement & jab combo he had against Maynard, mixed in with his wrestling/TD defense it could be pretty bad ass. Just not quite there yet.

• Paid Members
Only from the Sherdog dwelling spastics though.

Don't forget the MMA Junkie comments section as well. The Sherdog forums are a nightmare and should never be frequented, but their actual website is top class.

Yeah the MMAJunkie/MMAMania etc comments section is where I usually see the comments I'm on about. I haven't even bothered to go on the Sherdog forums in months. I agree though, I like the rest of Sherdog, the news bits are good and there's some decent articles on there.

Anyone else think we might see Guida drop to 145?

Could be a possibility, especially considering he can't seem to break that top 5 barrier.

Guida is only 5'7 or something, eh? Surely he could make it down to 145lbs without too much problems.

• Paid Members

Yeah he's 5'7''. I think he'd do well at 145. He'd be a decent sized featherweight and with his wrestling style it might work better against smaller guys.

Also, aside from Chad Mendes, there's not many wrestles in the division so he could probably give a lot of guys trouble.

The game plan was fine if Clay Guida was a better striker, he just didn't hit him enough and spent too long running. Cub Swanson's fight was really exiting and that was also Jackson/Winklejohn's game plan that won him that fight but he's a much better striker than Clay. I actually think Donald Cerone should have used Carlos Condit's strategy against Nate Diaz and he could have possibly won, he floored him with leg kicks/trips numerous times he was just too dazed to realise and that's because he came out looking to brawl from the start.

Ach, I can't hate on Maynard too much. In his last three fights he's looked like he wanted a fight and has tried to be exciting. And taking two shots and still not beating Frankie means he's still a wee bit away from another title shot. Hopefully he'll be ready by the time Nate is champ. ;)

Guida's always annoyed me, even when he has good fights. His bullshit "look how much energy I have!" thing just wears me down. It's good to see him look bad for a change. All the energy and positivity in the world isn't going to help you when you're running away, Clay.

It's a shame that fight ended up as it did. It was a really fun show otherwise.

• Paid Members

just read Clay's post-fight stuff on Junkie defending his strategy and saying he couldn't wait for the fight metric numbers to prove him right...only for the numbers to reveal that Maynard outlanded Guida 52-49 during the fight :laugh:

Archived