UFC on FX 4: 'Maynard vs Guida'

wandshogun09

Who wins?  

16 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Speaking of great fights, Ebersole/Waldburger was fucking quality. Incredible technical stuff. Ebersole pulled it out but Waldburger looked fantastic given the gulf in experience between them. I think Waldburger could be a future contender with more seasoning.

Ebersole said after the fight that he is thinking about dropping down to lightweight, he would be one fucking big LW!

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Its funny how one fight can change your opinion on 2 fighters.

I now quite like Grey Maynard, even when he is in a boring fight which to be fair he has not been for a long time, he always works hard even if his grinding wrestling style is not always that pleasing. The Nate Diaz fight a few years back, I felt was horrible and awkward too watch, but Grey did at least not act like a douche after the fight.

Guida on the other hand, I thought quite highly of, it is forgotten but he can be a dick with other fighters, he scaled the cage to fight Terry Martin years ago whilst fighting his brother, something the Diaz brothers have yet to do, he called Michael Bisping "overated" out of nowhere and that backstage exchange with Grey he comes across as a right nob.

His brother was a dick on TUF as well, not making weight and bitching about it. The all the shit the Diaz brothers get, the Guida brothers annoy me a lot more.

• Paid Members

just a weird f'n main event all around...

I actually thought Guida was bordeline putting on a masterclass, if he can learn to incoorperate his striking into that insane style effectively it's gonna be great but he simply spent too much time doing nothing but running away, it was fucking frustrating to watch. Guida's not a guy who in the past seemed afraid to stand and trade but at times he looked petrified of Maynard.

Score-wise? who f'n knows? i think it was right for Maynard to take the decision because as i said Clay simply didn't throw enough shots to make his gameplan a winning one.

Weird to see Guida get turned on too, i'll always be a Guida fan but he did his best to piss off the fans as soon as the bell sounded. No one's brought it up here yet, but who thinks the Greg Jackson factor had a big part to play in that gameplan? Its Condit/Diaz on steroids.

* Stout/Fisher III was as billed. Stout basically won the fight based on his effective takedown in each round which i thought was a little off. Stand-up wise it was Fisher's night he really did look sharp. The takedown was clearly scoring but it seemed like a round stealing tool rather than an attempt at moving into a finishing position. Not sure if that's if for Fisher?

* Ebersole/Waldburger for me was fight of the night, i'd love for the UFC to actually reward a grappling based match over a slugfest one day (Stout/Fisher got the FOTN). Just a great battle between a crafty veteran and a technically gifted youngster. Waldburger's been flying under the radar a little and despite losing i think it was a bit of a coming out for him (I personally had TJ winning 29-28). Ebersole's train rolls on, he can't make 155lb surely?

* Swanson-Pearson - wow, Swanson looked awesome. There's been rumblings of how good Swanson's been for years but injuries and some poor performances in cage meant he never quite lived up to billing. I'd love to see a Swanson that sharp fight Jose Aldo. I don't think Pearson's move to 145lb has been as comfortable as most expected.

The prelims for the show were very good too, Hioki looked great for a round then faded badly against Lamas. Steven Siler is emerging as one of the most unlikely contenders in years, Matt Brown f'n brutalised Ramos in one of the nastiest finishes of the year. Chris Camozzi's comeback was great against Nick Catone, another brutal, bloody finish, Rick Story cruised and Yves Lavigne's fucked up the finish in the Keith/Nimjen fight, fuck Yves.

• Paid Members

Up until arounf the 4th round I though Guida was executing the perfect game-plan to deal with someone like Maynard. Unpredictable & evasive, picking him apart & massively frustrating him. As the fight went on & Guida started flagging a little the circling footwork turned into running, that combined with Guida's slowing down so Maynard could shut him down & close off the cage was Guida's downfall.

His gameplan was exactly like Condit/Diaz but using his jab as opposed to leg-kicks. If Guida hadn't been closed down & stayed circling as opposed to running it would've been the perfect strategy.

• Paid Members

yeh well said Mike. Like i said it was borderline executed. I just wished Guida had tried to mix it up a little more, maybe added in some kicks, his jab was effective when used too but he threw it so sparsely as the fight went on that it just looked like he was running. I think Gray made the mistake of following Guida too much as well, it led Clay to circle more frantically, the forward motion of Maynard is probably what won him the fight but if he's just stayed more central in the cage i think he would have gotten his wish of Guida coming straight at him.

I was thinking before the fight that Guida's status at 155 probably wouldn't have been harmed by a loss but i don't think anyone in the MMA community expected to see it go down like that. Dana White does'nt take too kindly to guys who put on that kind of performance and despite Guida's popularity i wouldn't be surprised to see him fall a little further down the rankings than expected. I don't think Guida's ever gonna crack that top 5 spot though, whenever he gets there or there abouts he blows it.

• Paid Members

I though Guida won aswell. I was a little surprised at the decision as I thought he'd done enough in the frist 3 rounds to win it.

Not overly upset at the decision, although I didn't think it was as terrible as a lot of peeps are saying.

My problem with Guida was not his gameplan, that was very smart, but just the way he acted in the locker room with Grey afterwards.

The gameplan itself made sense, no doubt it was devised by Greg Jackson. Guida could not out wrestle Grey, he was unlikely to submit him of his back and trading with Grey was not a good idea either. The only thing he had was speed, however later on as mentioned he did fuck all with his movement and did not engage.

I felt he did not do enough to win the fight as Grey did more damage and had more meaningful offense, under the judging criteria though he may have won more rounds which is what really matters. The judges on the night though disagreed.

Clay did not come to win a fight, he came to outscore Grey, which is fair enough, MMA is a business for most fighters, but under the old Pride rules he would have been done for stalling and half of his purse would have taken away. I miss the yellow card rule.

• Paid Members

To be fair Big Dan did warn Clay for inactivity, i can't remember the last time that happened in the UFC.

Like i said i have no idea who id score it for, i gave the first to Guida after that i kind of shut off score-wise. To fight like that effectively is a difficult thing to do. Condit did so against Diaz (at least in my opinion) also Jay Hieron controversially adopted that style during his Bellator run, it split opinion but it worked for him. Guida got so caught up in the movement side of things it almost seemed like he forgot he was meant to ointsstrike back at some points.

No ones alerted the fact that Guida clearly hurt Gray with a headkick-punch combo in round 4 (might have been 5) and simply started dancing again instead of following up. Very frustrating to watch.

• Paid Members

Spencer Fisher has retired.

On Clay/Gray, yeah I knda gave up trying to score it after a couple of rounds. I get the Condit/Diaz comparisons but I thought Condit was way more effective. I didn't see Condit as running, he was landing good counter strikes throughout. Clay did that in spells but there was just too many times where he was bouncing about landing fuck all.

I think it's clear Clay has improved a lot on his stand up, which makes it all the more frustrating. He defo rocked Gray with that headkick and punches then went back to jiving around the cage.

There's no question the gameplan was good in theory. It got Gray pissed off and distracted and Clay was able to land some shots but it just fell into a pattern where neither was really able to stamp their authority on the fight.

Big Dan did warn Clay but that was late in the 5th. By then it's too late. He did the same in the Silva/Maia fight. I'm still a Clay fan, he'll have great fights again. Shit happens sometimes, there's been worse fights.

• Paid Members

Clay got warned when it was obvious he was running. Up until the latter 4th & 5th rounds he was circling but keeping the same distance so that couldn't be classed as not progressing, just crazy footwork

• Paid Members

Oh and the Greg Jackson point I think is a little overblown. I can't stand the creepy, squeaky voiced twat with his stupid overhanging top lip. He irritates the piss out of me and I think he's a bit of a snide cunt. The recent incident with him cornering Ryan McGillivray was horrible.

But...

I'm seeing all sorts of stuff lately how Greg Jackson made GSP, Condit, Clay etc boring. I'm sure he's coming up with the gameplans but if it's all down to him why are other Jackson's fighters like Jon Jones, Donald Cerrone, Diego Sanchez, Cub Swanson, Leonard Garcia not the same?

The criticism of Condit in particular I find pathetic. He's been consistently one of the most exciting fighters and best finishers in MMA for years and now all you hear is 'Condit ran from Diaz'.

• Paid Members
The criticism of Condit in particular I find pathetic. He's been consistently one of the most exciting fighters and best finishers in MMA for years and now all you hear is 'Condit ran from Diaz'.

Only from the Sherdog dwelling spastics though. Condit found the gap in Diaz's game & exploited it beautifully.

It's easy to bash Greg Jackson because he's (arguably) the best coach in the game, anyone who's on top will attract

their fair share of detractors. Plus he's vocal against the 'just bleed' crowd which wont earn him many fans amongst the 'stand & bang' fraternity.

Archived