UFC on FX 4: 'Maynard vs Guida'

wandshogun09

Who wins?  

16 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Went for Maynard and Stout, both by decision.

Gray Maynard filed a protest with the New Jersey Athletic Control Board last month complaining about the hair of Clay Guida in a story just released by MMAjunkie.com.

Rather than turning this into a circus of actually having a commission hearing on whether wild hair is permissable in MMA, John Fosco, Guida's manager, said that Guida will braid his hair before the fight which is the main event of the 6/22 show on FX.

• Paid Members

this is a tough one to call, i always say that Guida's best fights come when he's fighting a guy that's able to stop him taking them down. Maynard is certainly capable of doing that so this could be a bit of a barn burner.

I think the 5 rounds is going to be significant, Guida is the kind of guy that should excel in this kind of situation, if Maynard takes his foot off the gas like he did against Edgar he could be in trouble down the stretch. I aint sure that Maynard can keep Guida's pace for 5 rounds though.

The great thing about Guida is that he'll make someone push themselves early on whether they like it or not so, so he'll break someone even if they plan on pacing themselves.

3 rounds i'd take Maynard but im leaning towards a Guida decision over 5.

• Paid Members

This bab boy's tonight then. Can't wait. Everyone made weight except CJ Keith who was 2lbs heavy and fined 20%.

Really excited for this, the main event could be a hell of a fight. I like Maynard on points but it being 5 rounds makes it interesting cos Clay's pace and cardio is insane, maybe only matched by Bendo at 155. If Gray tires then Clay could nick the late rounds. I think if Gray is able to pace himself though he should win this. He's been at AKA aswell so maybe that will give him some new tools.

Stout vs Fisher 3 is the one I'm actually looking forward to most on this card. I'm a huge fan of their first 2 fights and I see this being the same thing. Like Melendez vs Thomson, these 2 are a perfect match style wise. I think it's impossible for them to have a disappointing fight. All their interviews this week both seem really fired up to win the trilogy. Fisher especially seems determined to show he can still go. He didn't seem his usual jokey self in the stuff I read.

Should be fun.

• Paid Members

What's everyone's main card picks for this? I'm going with Maynard, Stout and Pearson on points and Ebersole by TKO.

I've actually got a feeling Lamas might upset Hioki on the prelims aswell. Hioki looked slick against Bartimus but I dunno with Hioki, I dunno if he's really as good as he's cracked up to be or if it's a case of a bit too much of the old Japanese hype. He's good no question but I'm not sure about him.

I would love to see Hioki vs Charles Oliveira though, if Hioki wins tonight.

I am going for Guida.

I think Maynard will win early, but Guida will rally late and score a close points win. Maynard seems to lose interest and focus the later the fight goes, I think Guida will slowly build momentum and steal the later rounds.

Guida has the wrestling to deal with Maynard, that is the big factor for me.

Elsewhere I feel Stout will beat Fisher, as he has a lot more miles left on the clock

• Paid Members

Yeah I'll be interested to see how the wrestling plays out. I think Clay can hang with Gray wrestling but Gray's a fucking big 155. There were stories of him being close to 190 of pretty much solid muscle in his younger days.

The way I see this going is their wrestling will kinda cancel each other out and they'll stand more early which I think favours Gray. He's got better hands and more power imo.

The later rounds is where this fight becomes really intriguing to me cos I'm not sure Gray will hang with Clay's pace. Clay might have more success with his takedowns late on. I don't think Gray has bad cardio at all, but he did punch himself out in both his last 2 fights with Frankie. The same could happen here.

Tough to call but I see Gray building an early lead, maybe fading late but taking a close decision, kinda like Hendo did vs Shogun.

• Paid Members

What a fucking odd carry on with the main event. I don't know where to start. After a great bunch of fights and then Clay's awesome 'Walk' entrance I was ready for a 5 round classic. Such a letdown.

Clay seemed to think he was Sugar Ray Leonard and it looked like Leonard vs Duran 2 at times. I was half expecting Gray to turn to Big Dan and say 'No mas' by round 3.

I kinda got what Clay was doing early on trying to frustrate Gray and it was clearly working but after 3 rounds I'd had enough of it. He was literally sprinting away at times. Clay's striking actually looked much improved aswell which makes the whole thing even more frustrating. And there were big spells of Gray standing about watching the dance fest. Just an odd fight all round.

The bit at the end of round 4 was great but the fight as a whole really disappointed me.

What a fucking odd carry on with the main event. I don't know where to start. After a great bunch of fights and then Clay's awesome 'Walk' entrance I was ready for a 5 round classic. Such a letdown.

Clay seemed to think he was Sugar Ray Leonard and it looked like Leonard vs Duran 2 at times. I was half expecting Gray to turn to Big Dan and say 'No mas' by round 3.

I kinda got what Clay was doing early on trying to frustrate Gray and it was clearly working but after 3 rounds I'd had enough of it. He was literally sprinting away at times. Clay's striking actually looked much improved aswell which makes the whole thing even more frustrating. And there were big spells of Gray standing about watching the dance fest. Just an odd fight all round.

The bit at the end of round 4 was great but the fight as a whole really disappointed me.

Just got done watching the fight and it was something. I understand why the crowd went from supporting Clay Guida to Gray Maynard. I liked Gray Maynard dropping his hands in the fourth to take three Clay Guida's punches, Guida goes for a takedown, Maynard sprawls and locks in a Guillotine. Shame it didn't end the fight. Glad Maynard won, as you rightly say Guida was sprinting away most of the time and not engaging.

Dana White's short review of the fight from mmajunkie.com: "The fight sucked. I don't know how to expand on it anymore."

• Paid Members

Yeah, I've been a big fan and supporter of Clay on here but that was a shitty fight no two ways about it.

Fuck all that anyway, the rest of the card was great fun. Stout vs Fisher 3 delivered exactly what I expected. Excellent end to the trilogy. I had Fisher winning though. I thought he won the stand up and although Stout's takedowns looked good, he didn't do much with them. I had it 29-28 Fisher, thought 30-27 to Stout was a bit wide but great fight.

Speaking of great fights, Ebersole/Waldburger was fucking quality. Incredible technical stuff. Ebersole pulled it out but Waldburger looked fantastic given the gulf in experience between them. I think Waldburger could be a future contender with more seasoning.

Swanson had an outstanding showing aswell. Felt like Pearson was finally catching up with the little fucker and then Cub put him out. Cracking fight aswell.

I got in late and only caught Hioki/Lamas off the prelims. I said I sensed an upset a few posts up and it happened. Thought Lamas fought great

Yeah, I've been a big fan and supporter of Clay on here but that was a shitty fight no two ways about it.

It's either that or Chris Weidman vs. Demian Meia from UFC on FOX 2 for worst fight of the year so far. Right now I'm leaning towards Maynard/Guida as it was a main event and Guida's actions. Shame Joe Rogan wasn't commentating on it.

Speaking of commentating, Florian had his tongue so far up Guida's arsehole, it was amazing he could sting a sentence together. I prefer this combo to Rogan and Goldberg, but they were both embarissingly awful for the main event. They were both so far up Guida's arse, and jerking off over his footwork, that it didnt even cross their mind that Maynard had actually won Round 3 and 4. Nor did they ever concern themselves with why the pro-Guida crowd turned on him halfway through. Had you listened to the audio only of this match, you would assume that Guida was putting on a Nick Diaz sort of stand-up dominance, when anyone watching the fight could obviously see otherwise.

Speaking of commentating, Florian had his tongue so far up Guida's arsehole, it was amazing he could sting a sentence together. I prefer this combo to Rogan and Goldberg, but they were both embarissingly awful for the main event. They were both so far up Guida's arse, and jerking off over his footwork, that it didnt even cross their mind that Maynard had actually won Round 3 and 4. Nor did they ever concern themselves with why the pro-Guida crowd turned on him halfway through. Had you listened to the audio only of this match, you would assume that Guida was putting on a Nick Diaz sort of stand-up dominance, when anyone watching the fight could obviously see otherwise.

Only thing I disagree with you on is preferring Anik and Florian to Goldberg and Rogan.

I must say, I did enjoy Gray Maynard's mid-fight face turn.

Ditto:

9.gif

• Paid Members

Yeah, I never thought I'd see a crowd turn on Guida, in favour of Maynard. Weird stuff, but it was hard not to cheer Gray there, he certainly won himself some fans. Somewhere, Kenny McBride is very angry.

Archived