Mount Rushmore of Wrestling

IANdrewDiceClay

The original post references a discussion about entirely US based wrestlers on a US show about a US mountain. I interpret that to be mainstream US figures, not someone from Japan or Mexico that are cult icons, but actual popular mainstream icons. I am not knocking people's points, just in my interpretation of it the US folk would be exclusively on there for me.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The original post references a discussion about entirely US based wrestlers on a US show about a US mountain. I interpret that to be mainstream US figures, not someone from Japan or Mexico that are cult icons, but actual popular mainstream icons. I am not knocking people's points, just in my interpretation of it the US folk would be exclusively on there for me.

Oh jog on. Lister said he was talking about worldwide figures. Even when I made light of it earlier, with a jokey response similar to your serious one here, I knew perfectly well what he meant. He was furthering the discussion and opening a different strand for it.

• Paid Members

It's a weird comparison even leaving aside the fact it's wrestlers rather than presidents, simply because the real Mount Rushmore is more about historical importance than being recognisable. Because of the timescale, none of the presidents were ever on TV and only two of them were ever photographed. For wrestling you'd need to decide if you are going for importance to the industry or sheer mainstream fame, and then you'd have to decide if the latter should be "handicapped" to take account of different levels of media availability.

For US only, I'd say the slam-dunk candidates would be Gotch, Londos, Gorgeous George, Thesz, Hogan and Austin for a combination of being big names both within the industry and mainstream, and working on the basis you are judging each guy on his time rather than from a modern viewpoint.

To whittle them down I'd probably ditch Thesz because, although he's a major figure within the industry (biggest name in the entire 40s through 60s nationwide), he's not necessarily so well known to non-fans of his time and modern fans. Londos would probably be the other guy to drop because even though he's arguably the biggest draw ever (in the context of his era), he wasn't such a big name to the mainstream simply because there was no TV in his era and newspapers at the time didn't always take wrestling very seriously.

That leaves you with Gotch, who's arguably the Washington in kicking off wrestling as a combination of a pseudo-sport and a business (the first major star who was about selling tickets more than betting scams); George, who was genuinely among the biggest TV stars (across all forms of entertainments) when that medium took off; Hogan, who most people would call the most famous US wrestler of all; and Austin, who was the clear number one guy in wrestling's biggest era in terms of one promotion getting people regularly watching wrestling and paying to see matches.

It's a weird comparison even leaving aside the fact it's wrestlers rather than presidents, simply because the real Mount Rushmore is more about historical importance than being recognisable. Because of the timescale, none of the presidents were ever on TV and only two of them were ever photographed. For wrestling you'd need to decide if you are going for importance to the industry or sheer mainstream fame, and then you'd have to decide if the latter should be "handicapped" to take account of different levels of media availability.

For US only, I'd say the slam-dunk candidates would be Gotch, Londos, Gorgeous George, Thesz, Hogan and Austin for a combination of being big names both within the industry and mainstream, and working on the basis you are judging each guy on his time rather than from a modern viewpoint.

To whittle them down I'd probably ditch Thesz because, although he's a major figure within the industry (biggest name in the entire 40s through 60s nationwide), he's not necessarily so well known to non-fans of his time and modern fans. Londos would probably be the other guy to drop because even though he's arguably the biggest draw ever (in the context of his era), he wasn't such a big name to the mainstream simply because there was no TV in his era and newspapers at the time didn't always take wrestling very seriously.

That leaves you with Gotch, who's arguably the Washington in kicking off wrestling as a combination of a pseudo-sport and a business (the first major star who was about selling tickets more than betting scams); George, who was genuinely among the biggest TV stars (across all forms of entertainments) when that medium took off; Hogan, who most people would call the most famous US wrestler of all; and Austin, who was the clear number one guy in wrestling's biggest era in terms of one promotion getting people regularly watching wrestling and paying to see matches.

When I originally suggested Thesz-Flair-Hogan-fourth name to be decided I was thinking along the lines of Lister. I don't have his competence nor his authority on the matter, my list and suggestions were probably not as good, but I'm glad someone is thinking along the same lines :)

When I originally suggested Thesz-Flair-Hogan-fourth name to be decided I was thinking along the lines of Lister.

Lister might have written a good book, but I'm not sure that places him above Rock, Undertaker, Michaels and co on the list of candidates.

I think thats a great point and changes my perception of it. I still think Hogan and Austin need to be in but who knows on the others. I wouldnt have enough knowledge about other periods to say.

Archived