Mount Rushmore of Wrestling

IANdrewDiceClay

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe mate, I might be thinking more of how recognisable they are to the masses in this country which is nowhere near as relevant for this. I never realised his slim jim affiliation was such a long deal.

• Paid Members

I think it's easy to 'think' that savage wasn't as top tier as hogan due to the fact that he played second fiddle to hulk. Even as the mega powers, you automatically saw hogan as the leader of the team due to him being the main event 'in wwf' longer than savage had been.

Savage had the problem of being too big for the I.C title, but not quite hogan, and i dare say he could have been as big as hogan, but maybe hulk didn't want him to be, I dunno.

In reality, whilst hulk was hulking one off at the top of wwf, savage was a heel and in fairness, not a massive amount of advert pops due to this, why get savage to sell tent pegs or jam when hulk is stood there?

It was only when he fully faced it up in 92/93 (fake retired) period when he got the chance to do the slim jim gig. Problem was, the boom had dipped due to vince and co getting in to trouble for fondling steroids and injecting ring boys. I think he just missed out on that final hurdle break/through moment. I won't bother with the steph thing.

Savage was in spiderman, and while it was a massive movie, he wasn't exactly a leading role for the 6 mins he was visible was he? Although he would have been a bloody great super villain.

Hogan = several mediocre films as the main star, same goes for Austin, rock obviously doing the best in movie respects.

Savage was the bridesmaid, I have come to terms with it, but I fucking hate the fact as he was mint.

It's a shame I am going to say what I am, and I can't believe I'm going to, but I think the 4th spot would possibly go to . . . The ultimate warrior.

Gulp

• Paid Members

Is this going to be based in/limited to the US? If it's worldwide you've got to have Santo and Rikidozan. Probably Hogan and Austin being the other two, with Hogan being the obvious US choice and Austin getting in for the time WWE was truly international.

Is this going to be based in/limited to the US? If it's worldwide you've got to have Santo and Rikidozan. Probably Hogan and Austin being the other two, with Hogan being the obvious US choice and Austin getting in for the time WWE was truly international.

You can't put no Jap on Mount Rushmore! Commie bastard.

• Paid Members
Would it be unfair to say Rock was to Austin as Savage was to Hogan? In a pro wrestling context.

I've often thought that, and question whether the Rock's successful film career has distorted people's views a bit. I never thought he was on Austin's level to be honest.

For the record, my picks would be Hulk Hogan (obviously), Andre the Giant, Ric Flair and Vince McMahon.

Would it be unfair to say Rock was to Austin as Savage was to Hogan? In a pro wrestling context.

I've often thought that, and question whether the Rock's successful film career has distorted people's views a bit. I never thought he was on Austin's level to be honest.

Come on now! The Rock charted with Wyclef Jean!

But if it's the Mount Rushmore of Wrestling, does that mean it's supposed to be US only? Isn't it worth going back to pre-80s?

I would think you would be looking for recognisable names and faces if you think of the original mount concept and for me that means mainstream. I havent heard of the people you're referring to so they cant be very mainstream. I suppose its how you interpret it though.

I would think you would be looking for recognisable names and faces if you think of the original mount concept and for me that means mainstream. I havent heard of the people you're referring to so they cant be very mainstream. I suppose its how you interpret it though.

Santo has been in about 50 movies, one of which is fairly known well wide in cult circles, and inspired Mucha Lucha. He isn't mainstream here, but he's certainly recognisable to a lot of people and where he is known he's about as mainstream as any wrestler could get. If we going to look at this in terms of international appreciation as well than there are wrestlers outside the homogenised American wrestling that have been incredible cultural icons. Santo is one.

Santo has been in about 50 movies, one of which is fairly known well wide in cult circles, and inspired Mucha Lucha. He isn't mainstream here, but he's certainly recognisable to a lot of people and where he is known he's about as mainstream as any wrestler could get. If we going to look at this in terms of international appreciation as well than there are wrestlers outside the homogenised American wrestling that have been incredible cultural icons. Santo is one.

Archived