Mount Rushmore of Wrestling

IANdrewDiceClay

• Paid Members

Read this in the Observer update, and thought it would make an interesting thread:

Today on the Stoney & Bill show on Detroit sports radio, they did a show with callers on who should be the faces on the Mount Rushmore of pro wrestling. The names mentioned the most were Hulk Hogan, The Rock, Andre the Giant and Randy Savage. The hosts kept talking about how the 80s and 90s are so much better than today. There was only one mention of John Cena from a caller, but callers did bring up HHH, Undertaker and Kane. There was also one mention of Edge from a caller who said that it was one of his sons picks. Stoney said WrestleMania III was one of the most fun events he ever saw. They also played promos of Ric Flair, Savage, Ultimate Warrior and others. The hosts raved about the Flair promo. Jim Duggan got a few mentions. Very few mentions of Steve Austin. They also got into a discussion about George Steele, who before retiring to Florida, lived most of his life in Madison Heights, MI as a high school football coach

If you could pick four heads, who do you think would be up on the mountain? Not necessarily 'drawing power' or anything like that. More who would you think would be the most recognisable. The Austin thing they mentioned is how I usually see it as well. Even though he was a massive star, you never near about him much from casual fans or when wrestling gets the pissed ripped out of it. You hear Rock, Hogan, Big Daddy, Undertaker, Savage and even Piper gets a mention. But to be fair thats just in this country.

If I was to pick, I'd say it goes:

1. Hulk Hogan - obviously. He was in Rocky and out did Des O'Connor in the bad taste category when he was on his show.

2. The Rock - megastar who you see popping up everywhere

3. Undertaker - everyone from my grandad to his great granddaughter knows who he is, he's been around forever and he's a mainstay in wrestling. He also had a pretend Undertaker working the Empire round our way who drew more than Earthquake did over here. The mark of a big star.

4. Savage, Andre or Austin - I'm on the fence there. See who you lot say, and I'll have a think. Austin was a huge star, but Andre was super famous all over the world. Everyone knew who he was in his day. Hard to imagine now, but it wasn't just Hogan doing monster business in 87-88. Then there was an outpouring of sympathy and sadness when Macho Man died, which shocked me. Didn't realise how recognisable he was.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Since he died his legacy has been overstated I feel.

In what way?

I just think people are treating him as though he was a massive superstar on the level of Hogan, Austin et al. He was terrific, don't get me wrong, but he wasn't that good. He would be in the second tier of superstar wrestlers for me. Austin , Rock , Hogan in tier 1. Savage, Flair and the like in second place. Fantastic wrestler, one of my favourites growing up, but no way should he be on the wrestling Mount Rushmore.

• Paid Members

Can't really recall anyone since his death anyone saying he was one of the greatest megastars in wrestling. I think we all appreciate just how much he meant to wrestling though. Before he died we were all saying that.

Can't really recall anyone since his death anyone saying he was one of the greatest megastars in wrestling. I think we all appreciate just how much he meant to wrestling though. Before he died we were all saying that.

Yeah, not just on here though. I know the "Mount Rushmore of Wrestling" isn't actually going to happen, but for some people to say that Savage deserves to be one of the four on that glorious piece of rock blows my mind. It would be akin to putting HHH on it.

• Paid Members

Savage was on the level of Hogan and Austin. When Hogan was off doing No Holds Barred, Savage was selling out every major arena in the United States. He did like 700,000 buys for WrestleMania V when there was 70 million less homes with PPV availability than when Austin was on top. Savage was also the game changer in WCW in 1995. Hogan was a big PPV draw, but nobody did better business in arenas on the road than Savage did. He was a super draw. If anything, he gets labeled with the shit tags like "he was the work horse while Hogan was the draw", just because scrubs CM Punk and Jay Lethal dress up like him. Savage drew money without Hogan. Its arguable if Hogan would have drawn the money he did in 1989 without Savage. Actually he probably wouldn't have. Also, in 1993-94, Savage was responsible for WWF (during the steroid trail) having its most lucrative sponsor, which made them a shitload of money, and ditto when he showed up in WCW.

If you take into account availability of PPV, inflation and the number of shows the WWF ran in 88 and 89 when Hogan wasn't on the house shows, Savage might have draw more money for WWF than anyone outside of Austin, Rock and Hogan.

• Paid Members
Ric Flair, Arn Anderson, Ole Anderson, and Tully Blanchard. Easy.

Dakota is JCP territory and those were the original 4

J.J. Dillon can run the gift shop and bar

It would be an ace monument for while, but you just know after a few years Paul Roma will turn up and ruin it. ;)

I don't think you can go wrong with the big 3 of Hogan,Austin and The Rock. Then for 4th i'd go with Vince Mcmahon.

Completely agree with this, I also agree about Savage not being on the same level. I just dont think he had that same aura as the three wrestlers above. And I loved him, I did.

Archived