The boxing/wrestling crossover

Donedude

Just watched a documentary about Ali that had a large section about the inoki fight, so i was thinking about the boxing wrestling crossover

Ali v Inoki- sucked, and lebell said it sucked in the doctumentary

Piper v Mr T- Piper basically led an awkward opponent to a pretty good match

Butterbean v Bart Gunn- Basically a public sparring session for Butterbean

Hollyfield v Hardy- Sucked big time.

Big Show v Mayweather- Mayweather took instruction from show well, and the development guys they hired to play mayweather's crew did well to cover for him

I think with this crossover it works better when the boxer is kept on the outside for example the tyson/austin angle or the alex shane/danny williams angle where the boxer's involvement can be controlled.

• Paid Members

You know what really sucks with this, watching through 98 Bart is amazing when he finds a stride. When he is going ape shit at JR because he was putting Williams over on commentary and not him is a joy to behold while Raw turns to a bit of a clusterfuck.

Big Show v Mayweather was good once they decided which side of the fence they wanted each man on. The start at No way out is one of the best things shows been involved in.

• Paid Members

Don King and Vince McMahon were in negotiations in 1989 to do a Hulk Hogan vs Mike Tyson bout in 90 or 91, with the idea it was going to break the all time PPV record of any PPV in history. If Buster Douglas hadn't sparked Tyson out, we probably would have got the match. Not a shoot obviously, but Tyson was up for a worked bout in a battle of the two heavyweight champions.

Question is - who would have done the job? It isn't like now. Vince and Hogan weren't going to let Tyson go over because that wouldn't have done their biggest stars drawing power (or the WWF in general) any good whatsoever and I doubt Tyson's camp was up for letting a wrestler pretend to beat him.

I think it would have been awesome. Pat Patterson was so good at the time, he'd have worked his magic making this one work.

Don King and Vince McMahon were in negotiations in 1989 to do a Hulk Hogan vs Mike Tyson bout in 90 or 91, with the idea it was going to break the all time PPV record of any PPV in history. If Buster Douglas hadn't sparked Tyson out, we probably would have got the match. Not a shoot obviously, but Tyson was up for a worked bout in a battle of the two heavyweight champions.

Question is - who would have done the job? It isn't like now. Vince and Hogan weren't going to let Tyson go over because that wouldn't have done their biggest stars drawing power (or the WWF in general) any good whatsoever and I doubt Tyson's camp was up for letter a wrestler pretend to beat him.

I think it would have been awesome. Pat Patterson was so good at the time, he'd have worked his magic making this one work.

It would have probably have been a draw or a double dq. just like when hogan was in rocky 3

• Paid Members
Don King and Vince McMahon were in negotiations in 1989 to do a Hulk Hogan vs Mike Tyson bout in 90 or 91, with the idea it was going to break the all time PPV record of any PPV in history. If Buster Douglas hadn't sparked Tyson out, we probably would have got the match.

Question is - who would have done the job? It isn't like now. Vince and Hogan weren't going to let Tyson go over because that wouldn't have done their biggest stars drawing power (or the WWF in general) any good whatsoever and I doubt Tyson's camp was up for letter a wrestler pretend to beat him.

I've never heard that story before- that would have been something special, wouldn't it? You'd have to imagine that they would have worked up some sort of bullshit finish to avoid a clean job. Like you say, there's no chance they would have let Iron Mike KO the Hulkster in 1990-91 and a top boxer wouldn't lie down for a fake fighter even today.

Big Show v Mayweather- Mayweather took instruction from show well, and the development guys they hired to play mayweather's crew did well to cover for him

I think with this crossover it works better when the boxer is kept on the outside for example the tyson/austin angle or the alex shane/danny williams angle where the boxer's involvement can be controlled.

That match was fantastic. The build up to it was a little rocky (bar the original angle obviously) but that match was pretty much perfect. Probably doesn't get the credit it deserves because it deserves a heck of a lot.

• Paid Members

Question is - who would have done the job? It isn't like now. Vince and Hogan weren't going to let Tyson go over because that wouldn't have done their biggest stars drawing power (or the WWF in general) any good whatsoever and I doubt Tyson's camp was up for letting a wrestler pretend to beat him.

I reckon someone would have run in (DiBiase?) leading to Hogan and Tyson teaming up to clear house.

You know what really sucks with this, watching through 98 Bart is amazing when he finds a stride. When he is going ape shit at JR because he was putting Williams over on commentary and not him is a joy to behold while Raw turns to a bit of a clusterfuck.

Big Show v Mayweather was good once they decided which side of the fence they wanted each man on. The start at No way out is one of the best things shows been involved in.

He disappeared for a while, didn't he? probably to All Japan i'd guess. I can barely remember him after the Brawl For All until the angle with JR and Dr Death (and that horrid costume), and that was around feb/march 1999. That segment where he took all of Dr Deaths suplexes was pretty cool. It was mental how he bumped for them.

Not a crossover, but my favourite boxing match on a wrestling show was Johnny B. Badd vs Scotty Flamingo. Scotty and co. were a good laugh :thumbsup:

• Paid Members
Don King and Vince McMahon were in negotiations in 1989 to do a Hulk Hogan vs Mike Tyson bout in 90 or 91, with the idea it was going to break the all time PPV record of any PPV in history. If Buster Douglas hadn't sparked Tyson out, we probably would have got the match.

I've never heard that story before- that would have been something special, wouldn't it? You'd have to imagine that they would have worked up some sort of bullshit finish to avoid a clean job. Like you say, there's no chance they would have let Iron Mike KO the Hulkster in 1990-91 and a top boxer wouldn't lie down for a fake fighter even today.

It would've been a very big deal for sure, but if Tyson had got through Douglas (which in retrospect, was always a much bigger ask than anyone likes to admit) ....I think Vince and Hogan would've found a much different Mike than the one who Vince and Austin had fun with in 1998. Tyson's behaviour had always been a problem and was starting to boil over in 90-91 as it was getting harder for his and DK's people to clean up for him.

Yes, Tyson's involvement in 98 was after "the bite" and he had such a reputation as a bad boy, but he was happy to be involved and away from the boxing spotlight in regards to the huge expectations which were always heaped on him.

The Tyson of 90-91 was still yet to fall from grace in the mainstream public eye, and I personally -knowing what was going on behind closed doors- think that it's highly likely that Tyson could've been very very difficult to work with in that scenario, either walking out halfway through the run or perhaps even losing it altogether on Live TV.

• Paid Members

He disappeared for a while, didn't he? probably to All Japan i'd guess. I can barely remember him after the Brawl For All until the angle with JR and Dr Death (and that horrid costume), and that was around feb/march 1999. That segment where he took all of Dr Deaths suplexes was pretty cool. It was mental how he bumped for them.

I couldn't tell you, I'm missing another disc in 98 :(

I know the week after he fuck's up Dr deaths shit he goes apeshit at JR, running riot and telling every one he's going to knock some fucker out.

Was that in 99 the same time JR set up his own announce desk and went spastic because some one got put through it?

I really need to finish of 98 and watch more 99.

• Paid Members

Taylorslade, you're probably right about that.

On a related note, WWE need to use Tyson more, he's been cracking fun every time he's appeared and he genuinely seems to really enjoy himself when they have him on. He's a Hall of Famer now, they should be making the most of it. As far as celebrity appearances go, he's up there with the best they have had. If Mike Tyson was advertised for next week's Raw, I know I'd watch it.

In talking to a friend about boxing and wrestling we were talking about the current happenings in boxing between David Haye and Dereck Chisora.

I was saying that I'm not a boxing fan but from an outside perspective and me being a wrestling fan the incident with the bottle smash was something that I would be used to seeing in my sports entertainment and would say it has got me interested in seeing the two fight.

My friend however is not a wrestling fan and is disgusted by the two and does not care for all the commotion and caused by the two. He's a boxing purist and he wants to see two people who are professional sports men in their field get into a fight to see who the better boxer is not see two people box because two people have egos to feed and get into slanging matches and physical altercations at press conferences.

Archived