How do UK wrestlers view the brit scene?

Jetta's G-string

• Paid Members

As a promotor I see wrestling as the dream career I'll do anything to sustain. As a wrestler the greatest relief I ever got was when I realised I was probably never gonna make it to WWE and that I should just enjoy it for what it is. It's given me some of my best friends and favourite memories, and continues to do so, and that's it for me. Not that it's not important to be as professional as possible, but for me wrestling is definitely a work of passion.

Edit: Just reread that and I just want to make clear I'm not advocating working for free, as I see that as something which drives the whole business down, and I've seen too many really talented wrestlers give up because the reward isn't there due to the abundance of shitarses who'll work for free. I see that as something which falls under the banner of being as professional as possible, and semantically there's only one thing that'll gratify that concept. While I can definitely understand the mindset of a wrestler who will work for free just to get a booking, if all you can get are free bookings it's probably a sign you need to train more and gain a greater understanding of wrestling, and someone who has a real passion for the industry would be driven by that.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think it's seen as a job. But, in the same way that stacking shelves at ASDA just at the weekends is considered a job. They're doing it to tide themselves over and slightly improve their CV in order to improve their chances of getting a 'proper' job.

As a promotor I see wrestling as the dream career I'll do anything to sustain. As a wrestler the greatest relief I ever got was when I realised I was probably never gonna make it to WWE and that I should just enjoy it for what it is. It's given me some of my best friends and favourite memories, and continues to do so, and that's it for me. Not that it's not important to be as professional as possible, but for me wrestling is definitely a work of passion.

Edit: Just reread that and I just want to make clear I'm not advocating working for free, as I see that as something which drives the whole business down, and I've seen too many really talented wrestlers give up because the reward isn't there due to the abundance of shitarses who'll work for free. I see that as something which falls under the banner of being as professional as possible, and semantically there's only one thing that'll gratify that concept. While I can definitely understand the mindset of a wrestler who will work for free just to get a booking, if all you can get are free bookings it's probably a sign you need to train more and gain a greater understanding of wrestling, and someone who has a real passion for the industry would be driven by that.

That's in many ways analogous to my experience in mobile discos. There are tons of "shitarses" that will go out for free, or for a few quid and free beer. If you're looking for quotes for your wedding reception, and have had a dozen shitarses quote

• Paid Members
That's in many ways analogous to my experience in mobile discos. There are tons of "shitarses" that will go out for free, or for a few quid and free beer. If you're looking for quotes for your wedding reception, and have had a dozen shitarses quote

From experience, a majority of workers in the UK have very little understanding of how the business works at all, let alone quality promotions, and even further from those able to offer full time employment. Delusions of grandeur and lack of research or even effort of prevent even those with potential from progressing to a point where any major promoter would take them seriously.

I've sat and talked to a number of UK Indy favourites who've told me they're full time pro wrestlers, whilst also stating they live with their parents and don't run a car.

This is before you get to the 120lb teenagers in kickpads and pleather who call themselves wrestlers.

Those who really do understand it and are talented are those who progress; your PACs, Sabre Jrs, Dougs, Aldis's (Aldii?) and of course Drews, Barretts and Sheamuses. If you were fortunate enough to speak to these guys before they broke out, you'll know that while confident, they had no illusions about what it would take to be a professional wrestler.

Additionally, you have guys like the Knight family, who get BritWres, understand its challenges and flaws, and have busted their guts working around those issues to make a real living.

These people are exceptions. Most (sadly) are too young, naive, deluded or flat out stupid to see the UK wrestling scene and their part in it for what it is.

You've likely misinterpreted the question then, the OP states either a) job or b) hobby, not a "competitive sporting hobby", whatever such is.

I can't believe you don't know what I meant by that.

The other way I look at it is in the perspective of sunday league football etc. A lot of guy play that and don't get paid because football is their hobby, and if they're good they'll eventually hope to get spotted.

Mr Ravenhill understands.

I guess the only difference is I was never in danger of bringing down the Margate Sunday League Division 4 because I was shit but kept turning up anyway and they let me because the team needed the subs. :p

• Paid Members
Alex shane seems to be doing alright for himself financially, so a part of me thinks its only those high up the chain who are actually making money.

IIRC, he's smart with money, and he has invested it in property. Could be completely misremembering that.

So the british scene is seen more as semi pro then?

I think this is always how I viewed the business when I wrestled. Not that i would ever have described myself as a "semi-professional wrestler".

When asked if i wrestled in "like the WWF" by my non-wrestling fan friends, my reply would always be "yes, but on a smaller scale in the UK". So in this regard, the UK scene would be the semi-professional arena.

I made it a point to show up to shows wearing at the very least a shirt, smart trousers and smart shoes and more often than not wore a suit. For me, I was going to a job that I was being paid a wage for.

Semi-Pro would be an accurate description for me, as WWE/TNA or anything that would have a wrestler on a contract would be deemed "professional" or to coin an Americanism the big leagues.

Alex shane seems to be doing alright for himself financially, so a part of me thinks its only those high up the chain who are actually making money.

IIRC, he's smart with money, and he has invested it in property. Could be completely misremembering that.

I was having a convo on facebook with someoen who knows alex shane and he told me he was on benefits?? but i suppose he could've just been spreading false rumours.

I'd imagine certain promoters are making a living out of it. Dixon obviously, and i imagine guys like quillden, ravenhill, bagga, the knight family etc

Archived