PPW's "NEW BEGINNING" - 13th July 2012 West Bromwich

ChrisPPW

Haha cheers Karl... That show was exactly what PPW was all about :-) Everyone put on a truly fantastic show in the face of adversity!! Brilliant!!

Taken from www.phoenixprowrestling.co.uk...

"BONUS MATCH announced for PPW's West Bromwich homecoming this Friday!!"

Not happy with a full blown one-night tournament to crown a number one contender, a Kiss My Foot Match, and a huge Tag Team Collision, PPW Management have revealed the first of TWO bonus matches to be announced in the build up to this Friday's Homecoming in West Bromwich!!

2qtcsjn.jpg

Arriving as a manager, Zero Tolerance quickly became a back bone of sorts in PPW, turning his hand to everything from backstage support, sound engineer, ring announcer, and everything else you imagine it takes to make a live wrestling event run smoothly. However it was only in mid 2011, after taking a violent beating at the hands of "Textbook" Dave Breaks, that Zero became a cult hero in Phoenix Pro Wrestling!! Now in 2012, Zero has established himself as one of the most popular competitors on the PPW roster, and as such has requested that he be given a chance to prove his worth in a match that he considers his speciality - a Street Fight!!

On the other side of the ring, is someone just at the begining of his PPW career; Nottingham's Matt Hall. Hall has grabbed hold of this unexpected opportunity and has promised to take it by the horns and make big impression on Friday night. This unexpected bonus may be the match that steals the show on Friday!! We at PPW can't wait!!

"TWO BONUS MATCHES TO BE REVEALED THIS WEEK!!"

With less than a week until PPW's big return to West Bromwich, PPW Management have revealed that, not one but TWO, HUGE BONUS MATCHES will be announced this week, in the build up to the big event!! Watch this space all week long for all the big news!!

Keep watching this space for all the exciting news as it unfolds!!

"NEW BEGINNING"

Venue 71

54 Sandwell Road

West Bromwich

West Midlands

B70 8TF

Friday 13th July 2012

Doors - 7pm

Starts - 7:30pm

Adult -

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Taken from www.phoenixprowrestling.co.uk...

!!SECOND BONUS MATCH REVEALED FOR THIS FRIDAY NIGHT!!

On the back of a Big Weekend of British Sport, PPW thought it would jump on the bandwagon of patriotic hysteria and put together an England vs Wales match, to wet everyone's appetite for Friday night's big return to West Bromwich...

o7t7ya.jpg

Tyson T-Bone is the living, breathing embodiment of the rugged tatooed Englishman! And as a decorated veteran of the British Wrestling Scene, he will be keen to make an big impact on his PPW debut, and no doubt will be looking to put himself in the PPW Championship scene as soon as he can.

On the other side of the ring is Welshman Eddie Dennis. Dennis currently plys his trade all over his home nation, but is looking to make 2012 his breakout year onto the the forefront of the British Wrestling landscape. A victory over T-Bone would go a long way to helping him achieve that goal.

FULL LINE UP NOW ON POST 1 AND ON www.phoenixprowrestling.co.uk

!! See you all on Friday night @ Venue71 !!

"NEW BEGINNING"

Venue 71

54 Sandwell Road

West Bromwich

West Midlands

B70 8TF

Friday 13th July 2012

Doors - 7pm

Starts - 7:30pm

Adult -

A packed crowd gathered for this event.Standing room only.Great atmosphere.The wrestlers were a bit restricted by the size of the crowd particularly in the street fight.Impressive matches with Pete Dunne and the wrestlers from Nottingham.Next event 14 September 2012

Had the privelage of attending the return show last night for PPW (Pheonix Pro Wrestling) in West Brom, nice to see them back after a 6 month abscence and nice to see such a good turnout of around 120+ inside the newly renamed Venue 71 (previously West Brom Labour Club).

Here is my take on what went down...........

Match 1 :

"The Pride of Wales" Eddie Dennis vs "The English Lion" Tyson T-Bone -

Never have I heard of T-Bone being referred to as 'The English Lion' but it fitted in very well with the gimmick being played by Eddie Dennis who was first out of the curtain singing at the top of his voice to the Welsh National Anthem, it was announced that 'The Pride of Wales' would like for the fans in attendance to join him in singing his national anthem and he had even provided song sheets on chairs so that people could sing along.....needless to say he was greeted with a host of boo's and jeers and played the 'foreign' heel gimmick very well. T-Bone entered next and proceeded to get a big chant going for 'England' getting the crowd into this one before the bell had even sounded. A bit of stalling from Dennis before the first lock up added to the crowd interaction and got everyone in attendance involved....following the first lock up, we were given a very nice opening bout, exactly what you would expect from 2 guys who not only clearly have ability but also have the 'look' when it comes to being in the squared circle. Nothing wrong with the match at all and a very nice way to open the show, Eddie Dennis is still in many eyes an 'up and comer' and certainly showed that he is one to watch for the future.

T-Bone won the match in about 15 minutes or so, to rapturous applause from the mainly English crowd.

Match 2 :

Lord Graham Thomas vs British Born Steele -

Having seen Lord Graham Thomas wrestle on a number of occassions before for some, let's say 'lesser' Midlands based promotions, I was a little sceptical of this one being able to follow T-Bone & Dennis. I am pleased to say that I was proved wrong, for a big man, Lord Graham Thomas is pretty agile and you could clearly see that these guys have been performing for this type of crowd in this type of venue for many years, both guys clearly knew how to work the room and played on their characters to the best of their ability. Nothing in this one that is going to set your world on fire but a solid performance from both guys with BBS picking up the victory to advance into the semi-finals of the PPW tournament to find a number 1 contender to face El Ligero for the PPW Championship at the next event. BBS would now go on to face Nate Colt in the Semi Finals later in the evening. Nate Colt had already received a bye into the semi finals as had Luscious Lucas Black.

Following the match, a clearly flustered Lord Graham Thomas attacked BBS before grabbing the microphone to proclaim his evening was not finished yet!!

Match 3 :

Barricade vs 'Perfect' Pete Dunne

The other of tonight's quarter finals would see Nottingham's Barricade stepping into hostile waters as he took on West Brom's own 'Perfect' Pete Dunne. Big Barricade was the first through the curtain and his sheer size and prescence was clear to see as he entered the room, standing at least 6ft 4 if not more and with the look of Abyss, this man may be a relative newcomer on the UK scene but is certainly a force to be reckoned with, a big and agile man with plenty of skill between the ropes to go with it. Pete Dunne entered to huge applause from the fans and with his high flying, faster style you could sense this was going to be a battle of two very different style athletes. A very solid match with some excellent high flying antics from Dunne who eventually picked up the victory, an angry Barricade reacted to being pinned by his smaller, faster opponent by smashing into Dunne's leg after the pin, causing Dunne to leave the arena with a limp and still needing to be able to come back to face Luscious Lucas Black in the Semi Finals later in the evening.

Big Barricade and Pete Dunne who also wrestles as part of the tag team 'The Dunne Brothers' are both young men with huge amounts af ability, it is nice to see the younger guys, who clearly have so much enthusiasm for the business performing infront of decent crowds and giving it their all.

Match 4 :

Zero Tollerance vs Matt Hall in a Street Fight

This match made absolutely no sense to me at all, and that is taking nothing away from the 2 guys who squared off in it as both are incredibly talented performers with every chance of going a long way in the business. This match made no sense because of the terrible way in which it was booked.

To paint a picture....both guys are babyfaces and played the roles as such. Zero Tollerance has been a fan favourite at PPW for a while and is very over with the West Brom crowd so got a big pop as he entered the room pushing a Raven Style shopping trolley filled with goodies that included a traffic cone, an LP record and even a packet of Pork Pies! You would therefore expect young Matt Hall to come out as a heel, something that he has not previously played in his appearances at PPW. This was not the case and we were given a clear Babyface vs Babyface 'Street Fight' scenario.

Both guys gave it their all and did the best they could with such terrible booking and Matt Hall picked up the victory, opening up a potential opportunity for him to contiune the beatdown on Zero and maybe turn heel but it never came. A real shame for these 2 guys who despite obvious ability were asked to do something completely insane and unecessary on an already heavily stacked card.

Note to PPW.....A Street Fight should be used in order to settle a score in a long running feud, not as a stocking filler between 2 baby faces who have no issues with each other at all, totally ridiculous booking and a bad way to use 2 guys who could do a fantastic job for you if given better things to do.

Finally after 4 matches and just under an hour and a half this bought up the interval.

Match 5 :

Semi Final 1 : Nate Colt vs British Born Steele

Having the obvious dis-advantage of having already had to wrestle once in the evening, BBS gave it his best shot but he was powerless to do anything about Lord Graham Thomas coming back to ringside during his match and hitting him with a knuckle duster that he produced from his tights, as this took place behind the referee's back, he was powerless to do anything about it and Nate Colt picked up an easy pin to advance onto the final. Another face vs face encounter for the evening but with the interfearance from Graham Thomas the match did in the end make sense. You could already sense through this one that with time from first bell approaching 2 hours and 10 minutes that the crowd interaction was wearing slightly thin and with the prospect of 3 matches still to come it was certainly going to be an evening for the long haul.

Match 6 :

Semi Final 2 : 'Perfect' Pete Dunne vs 'Luscious' Lucas Black

For me, probably the match of the night, 2 guys with bags and bags of ability putting on a great performance. I call it the match of the night purely because of the great way in which the match unfolded and the story telling throughout. Dunne entered the arena with a limp, continuing on from the sneak attack that he suffered at the hands of Barricade at the end of the previous match. He sold the leg injury incredibly well throughout and even when delivering offensive moves to Lucas Black, including a wonderfully executed back flip he always remembered to sell the injury and keep the story going. Following some distractions at ringside again, Lucas Black was able to capitalise and lock Pete Dunne into the Sharpshooter, with the pressure on an already damaged leg it was too much for Dunne and he tapped out, meaning that our Final for the evening would pit Nate Colt against Lucas Black with the winner becoming the number 1 contender for El Ligero's title.

Match 7 :

The Predators (Paul Malen & Joseph Conners) vs Team NRG

Another case of insane booking! The promotional picture of this match just looked incredibly out of place. For those of you not familiar with the 2 teams, The Predators are both heavyweights and Team NRG is a team made up of two very young looking lads that cannot be a day over 17 if that, it just looked wrong from the offset.

All that being said....the match itself was actually pretty good, Team NRG very much impressed me with their in ring abilities and it is very clear that they have been trained by Dean Allmark and he has clearly put these two young lads onto the right path, maybe with some time in the gym and a little bit of work these two young lads could get to a really decent level. The Predators can have a good match with anyone, in my opinion they are one of, if not THE best and certainly most underated Tag Team in the UK at the moment. Both Malen & Conners and excellent at what they do and they managed to make this match believable to watch and put the young lads over incredibly well. Paul Malen's facial expressions are some of the best when it comes to selling anything and i'm sure for Team NRG this was a fantastic experience to be inside the ring with two guys of this ability. All in all a very enjoyable encounter that came as a real suprise that the Predators could indeed make the fans buy into such a mis-match in size. Team NRG picked up the victory, despite all odds and this clearly rattled both Malen and Conners who stormed out of the arena reminding the fans that this was just a blip and that they clearly 'knew' who the best tag team in the UK was.

Match 8 :

The Final : 'Luscious' Lucas Black vs Nate Colt

I really feel for these 2 guys, 8 matches on a card is far too many and the crowd were absolutely dead by the time the main event came on. These two guys are both exceptionally talented guys who have come from the Nottingham based training school known as the House of Pain and run by one of Britain's top heavyweight wrestlers 'Stixx'. It is clear to see when they enter the arena that these guys have not only been taught the in-ring part of the business but also the psychology of how to tell a story and build the match properly. Depsite a very weary crowd these 2 put on a great little match in the time they had left and it was left to the inevitable to happen....Lord Graham Thomas appeared at ringside and proceeded to get himself involved in the match, allowing Lucas Black to pick up the victory and become the new number 1 contender. Following the match, Lord Thomas produced 2 envelopes from his tights, one of which he handed to the referee who looked very pleased with his evenings work and one he handed to Lucas Black before raising his arm in victory....this looks as though El Ligero will have his work cut out for him at the next event!!

Final thoughts :

A solid enough event, nice to see the fans coming out in numbers and all of the seats being filled. A real shame that the booking of the card left quite a lot to be desired, the streetfight was total nonsense to put on with a card that already had too many matches on it already. Stick to cards of 5 or 6 matches tops and book the clearly talented wrestlers that you use in better matches and scenario's. That aside, congratulations on your return and here's hoping you can move forward.

• Paid Members

First up well done on the numbers. Never seen it so full, not a free seat in the place. The bar staff were sound too, just to share.

As it was double discount day at work I was late getting in and setting off as I was stocking up on extra cheap whisky and vodka, so got there around 10 to 8 just as the opener was getting into gear. Good stuff, T bone has a hell of a look and both guys put on a very enjoyable match without going all out which was top draw. Not seen Dennis before as far as I remember but I really enjoyed it and I'd happy see him again where he wouldn't be limited by being first out.

Next up Gaylord Vs BBW. I like gaylord myself. There was some promos before the match I didn't catch fully, sadly, but from what I caught BBW was going to make Gaylord kiss his foot. Fun little match, nothing amazing but enjoyable.

Barry Cade took on Dunne. Dunne is just amazing, there's a slight camp air about him but by god is he good. Again a fun match, nothing amazing but good fun.

Dunn was over and made an impression by taking out the bigger Barry after standing up to what he dished out.

After Dunnes win he had his leg kicked out from under his leg, taking the plucky and impressive fan favourite into the second round on the back food.

Street Fight up next, as its face Vs face my expectations were low as it just didn't feel right. However Zero got an amazing reaction and Hall seemed to fall into a heel role somewhat. It was fun and light hearted so didn't seem odd being a throw away street fight. It felt more like Crash Holly Vs Headbanger Mosh than Cactus Vs HHH which is exactly what it should of done going in with no feud or purpose. It also played to the strengthens at hand of the two I felt. Fun but it did feel unnecessary on a card which was looking to be match heavy as it was.

Nate Colt Vs BBW. Fun match. However the finish, which saw Gaylord screw over BBW with some brass knuckles made Nate look like a total spoon going into the final, which I'll come back to later on.

Dunne took on Black in the second second round match. Excellent match, great fun and the plucky Dunne coming in with the injured leg taking on the cocky and always entertaining black made for a great dynamic which really drew me in.

The finish, which saw the ref being distracted by Blacks furry muff allowing what would have been a match winning roll up get missed fed well into the sharpshooter and Dunne tapping due to the leg.

Top match, great fun to watch and a marvellous showing from both. Over all though in the tournament I'll be back here later on.

The tag which had me here in anticipation, Predators Vs NRG. Having seen NRG on PPW shows before I'll say I went in giving them the benefit of the doubt. They don't have a great look so to speak, but they have good potential for their age and entertained me last time without being flip flop bullshit so to see them take on the bigger and more dominant predators looks a good bet.

I really enjoyed it, NRG were looking to outsmart the predators who underestimated the young underdogs. Once they got pissed off with that shit was on until the finish, a quick small package following a collision between the predators.

I enjoyed it. I'd have liked more "NRG getting fucked up" in there myself before they took the win. There's mileage to see them go at it again and have the predators want revenge, which I'd like to see.

Main event and final of the tournament Nate Cold Vs Black.

Because Nate was made to look like a twonk earlier in the tournament he wasn't getting the response he normally does, a problem exasperated by the fact that people had just had enough by this stage and were trailing off.

Fun match, however it was Montreal finish with an interfering gaylord paying off the ref. I didn't really get it myself, but as I'm a regular it has left me wanted to pop along next time to see what happened. However it had better A) Be followed up on and B) make sense. If they do both ace and I'm in, if they don't it's going to leave me dissociated and uninterested. A bit of a punt's been taken, I'd hope its not fucked up.

Over all a fun show, too many matches for my taste. With the tournament I'd have preferred myself to see Dunne, the firm fan favourite and one of the best on the show, be the plucky guy going against the odds and going the distance. Or if you want to set something up for Gaylord being a total bastard (which is the vibe I got) have him screw Dunne over in the main, which would have meant having Dunne Vs Gaylord in the first round to make shit make sense I guess.

First up well done on the numbers. Never seen it so full, not a free seat in the place. The bar staff were sound too, just to share.

As it was double discount day at work I was late getting in and setting off as I was stocking up on extra cheap whisky and vodka, so got there around 10 to 8 just as the opener was getting into gear. Good stuff, T bone has a hell of a look and both guys put on a very enjoyable match without going all out which was top draw. Not seen Dennis before as far as I remember but I really enjoyed it and I'd happy see him again where he wouldn't be limited by being first out.

Next up Gaylord Vs BBW. I like gaylord myself. There was some promos before the match I didn't catch fully, sadly, but from what I caught BBW was going to make Gaylord kiss his foot. Fun little match, nothing amazing but enjoyable.

Barry Cade took on Dunne. Dunne is just amazing, there's a slight camp air about him but by god is he good. Again a fun match, nothing amazing but good fun.

Dunn was over and made an impression by taking out the bigger Barry after standing up to what he dished out.

After Dunnes win he had his leg kicked out from under his leg, taking the plucky and impressive fan favourite into the second round on the back food.

Street Fight up next, as its face Vs face my expectations were low as it just didn't feel right. However Zero got an amazing reaction and Hall seemed to fall into a heel role somewhat. It was fun and light hearted so didn't seem odd being a throw away street fight. It felt more like Crash Holly Vs Headbanger Mosh than Cactus Vs HHH which is exactly what it should of done going in with no feud or purpose. It also played to the strengthens at hand of the two I felt. Fun but it did feel unnecessary on a card which was looking to be match heavy as it was.

Nate Colt Vs BBW. Fun match. However the finish, which saw Gaylord screw over BBW with some brass knuckles made Nate look like a total spoon going into the final, which I'll come back to later on.

Dunne took on Black in the second second round match. Excellent match, great fun and the plucky Dunne coming in with the injured leg taking on the cocky and always entertaining black made for a great dynamic which really drew me in.

The finish, which saw the ref being distracted by Blacks furry muff allowing what would have been a match winning roll up get missed fed well into the sharpshooter and Dunne tapping due to the leg.

Top match, great fun to watch and a marvellous showing from both. Over all though in the tournament I'll be back here later on.

The tag which had me here in anticipation, Predators Vs NRG. Having seen NRG on PPW shows before I'll say I went in giving them the benefit of the doubt. They don't have a great look so to speak, but they have good potential for their age and entertained me last time without being flip flop bullshit so to see them take on the bigger and more dominant predators looks a good bet.

I really enjoyed it, NRG were looking to outsmart the predators who underestimated the young underdogs. Once they got pissed off with that shit was on until the finish, a quick small package following a collision between the predators.

I enjoyed it. I'd have liked more "NRG getting fucked up" in there myself before they took the win. There's mileage to see them go at it again and have the predators want revenge, which I'd like to see.

Main event and final of the tournament Nate Cold Vs Black.

Because Nate was made to look like a twonk earlier in the tournament he wasn't getting the response he normally does, a problem exasperated by the fact that people had just had enough by this stage and were trailing off.

Fun match, however it was Montreal finish with an interfering gaylord paying off the ref. I didn't really get it myself, but as I'm a regular it has left me wanted to pop along next time to see what happened. However it had better A) Be followed up on and B) make sense. If they do both ace and I'm in, if they don't it's going to leave me dissociated and uninterested. A bit of a punt's been taken, I'd hope its not fucked up.

Over all a fun show, too many matches for my taste. With the tournament I'd have preferred myself to see Dunne, the firm fan favourite and one of the best on the show, be the plucky guy going against the odds and going the distance. Or if you want to set something up for Gaylord being a total bastard (which is the vibe I got) have him screw Dunne over in the main, which would have meant having Dunne Vs Gaylord in the first round to make shit make sense I guess.

As before his match LGT announced that he owned the venue and with the "venue" interfering into the tournament anyway by choosing someone (thus LGT chose himself as he owns it), he would then go on to pay the ref & lucas black. That's how i see it is happening, i'm sure that by september we will certainly know a lot more.

• Paid Members
As before his match LGT announced that he owned the venue and with the "venue" interfering into the tournament anyway by choosing someone (thus LGT chose himself as he owns it), he would then go on to pay the ref & lucas black. That's how i see it is happening, i'm sure that by september we will certainly know a lot more.

There was some promos before the match I didn't catch fully, sadly, but from what I caught BBW was going to make Gaylord kiss his foot.

That makes more sense, many thanks. You don't fully hear one promo and its the crux of the nights goings on :laugh:

Like I say if it is followed on, which I assumed it will be and given what you say it does cement the idea further, it could be that little thread that pulls along show to show and keeps me coming back to that big pay off.

I really enjoyed the Storm/Ligero/Predators ongoing thing last year. Being a regular local show I like that little story to keep the shows threaded together and holding my interest and this does look to do that, as long as it's followed up on which I'm sure it will be.

Hi Guys,

Firstly, its pretty cool that we made the main forum, so thank you very much for taking the time to write such a detailed review.

PPW has come along way since the early days. We always learn lessons after each show, with the aim to better ourselves each time out and the numbers on Friday proved we are getting there now.

I was very proud of the show on Friday night, and I hope those in attendance enjoyed it enough to come back again on September 14th.

Just as a side note, the show was called new beginnings, and as such was a starting point for various angles - the booking will make sense as things progress. Have faith ;-)

Keep an eye on the UK events section in the coming weeks for all the details of our next show

Thanks again

Chris

Archived