Making Raw exciting again

mim731

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
They don't book attractions anymore.

I'm looking now and thinking who on the current roster is an attraction that the audience will be drawing pictures of in their jotters? I just can't imagine any kids in 2012 going "Mam when I grow up I want a receding hairline and a beard".

Excellent. It's basically the same thing Vamp has said as well, and he was spot on too. It's not enough of a variety show. That's why Brodus Clay was such a novelty when he first came back as the Funkasaurus, it was something different. He was an attraction for a few weeks. I think there are still a few wrestlers on the roster that they can make into distinct attractions. Sheamus definitely stands apart. I'd like to think Kofi as well, and Sin Cara if he ever learns his craft.

On the one hand, if Hulk Hogan got AIDS he'd die without ever looking anywhere near as shit as the current WWE Champion. And that's not a good sign for the state of things. But on the other, it's really difficult to keep it fresh and make (and sustain) attractions, harder than it's ever been. In the golden age, you could just slap a one-dimensional gimmick on a wrestler and he'd never get overexposed because the TV shows meant fuck all and he'd only have to beat jobbers and then do something interesting about twice a year. Then when the Monday Night Wars came in, they had the novelty of weekly interaction between real wrestlers being new, as well as swearing and depravity and loads of cheap tricks. Now they've got all the workload of the attitude era but none of the shortcuts and the novelty of main eventers tagging against each other on Raw has long worn off.

That's the last thing they should do. It'd end up being a mess. Bischoff talks about doing it in WCW and they're useless. Aside from the fact that you can gear the questionaires to be answered in certain ways, fans want different things, they also don't know what they really want and in the end you're left with a mess. The fans don't know the product, they know what they think they like, which isn't always right. Besides, you can tell if the fans like something or not by whether they tune in or not and to a lesser extent whether they pop or not. Supposedly if they were listening to the fans at the moment CM Punk would be pushed back down the card.

It's a way of reconnecting the company and an audience who are clearly getting increasingly fed up with the product that is on offer. I didnt say anything about questionnaires because questionnaires arent really going to solve it, it needs to be more organic, hence the fans panel. It could give some ideas and help restablish identity rather than the mess we have now. Ive already covered in part the whole people turning in as not being the only marker they should use because it doesnt tell the whole story and isnt enough to sort out the on going issues.

Dismissing it out of hand, rather than using it a potential tool for ideas is also not great, because as discussed the current way isnt working. Some of the best recent stuff has been organic from the fans, rather than anything that has been pre planned because of ratings, creative etc. So it would certainly be a start to try and get people feeling more involved. At present it appears that the everything is reactive rather than proactive.

The reason the top talent is in the opening of the show is so that people tune into the start of Raw rather than the start of something else at nine o'clock. If they put, for example, Kofi vs Ziggler as the opening match, by the time they get to the Cena interview at quarter past, people could already be too invested in the episode of whatever they started watching at nine. Starting with a match would only be clever if it was with real top talent. And considering they need an extra hook/main event every week now (for the end of the first hour/start of the second), they haven't got an endless supply of main event matches that they can just keep chucking one in at the start as well.

I think sticking a big star like Sheamus, Orton, Kane or Cena in a match with a solid midcarder would be a fresh way of starting the show, whether it would keep the viewer hooked is a different story and could just be a personal preference. It'd be a nice change of pace and despite the often humorous antics of Big Johnny, his opening promos don't scream excitement and long opening promos from anybody are often long-winded sales pitches for the next pay per view which makes sense business wise but isn't exactly an advert for why anybody should continue watching the episode of Raw.

So it would certainly be a start to try and get people feeling more involved.

Yes, I would definitely feel more involved in WWE if there was a faceless focus group giving feedback on the show somewhere in America. Except A) they might already do this, and B) we don't have a fucking clue if it happens now, nor would we if it did happen in future, so HOW THE FUCK WOULD IT MAKE ANY OF US FEEL MORE INVOLVED?

So it would certainly be a start to try and get people feeling more involved.

Yes, I would definitely feel more involved in WWE if there was a faceless focus group giving feedback on the show somewhere in America. Except A) they might already do this, and B) we don't have a fucking clue if it happens now, nor would we if it did happen in future, so HOW THE FUCK WOULD IT MAKE ANY OF US FEEL MORE INVOLVED?

I already said I didnt know if they did this or not, and would prepared to be corrected. Why let that get in the way of a good rant though?.

If people were aware that fans were at least being consulted before something happened, then it may make a difference between not feeling anything for the product on the basis that those in charge havent got a fucking clue as to what they are doing because people are leaving in droves (bar mania afaik). At least with the notion or appearence of some fan interaction it gives it some legitimacy. If its what 'the fans' want then at least its better than it's what a bunch of writers who seemingly have no clue what is going on at present want.

Yeah, sure they are doing their best with naff all, but it isnt working. Im not suggesting handing it over to the fans either, just use them as a visable yardstick or even something to use that is away from pure stats or whatever. Who knows it could work. If it doesnt it is hardly going be any worse that it is now.

Have Ryback rampage through the Raw roster, culminating in a 2 minute squash of Cena in the main event of Raw. Cena disappears injured and broken.

Then get The Rock back to feud with him. Cena returns in the big PPV match and turns heel, fucking up The Rock and leading to a rematch between the two.

You then have a new fearsome heel monster, a heel Cena, and all you need then is a decent babyface to replace Cena. Throw some money at Jeff Hardy.

If its what 'the fans' want then at least its better than it's what a bunch of writers who seemingly have no clue what is going on at present want.

You are talking pure wet, lad. Nobody is going to like Raw more just because WWE announced they had pat's panel working on it. "Well I thought Raw was shit but then I found out a focus group of faceless fans in America booked it/liked it, so I think it was alright now."

• Paid Members

Aye, WWE need to raid TNA of all their names. Jeff Hardy, Sting, HULK FUCKING HOGAN and Kurt Angle are all people that will elevate the show (and probably the numbers).

The key to this working long-term is having the proper stars mixing it up with a Sheamus in feuds worth investing in. Not this current 'midcarders fight midcarders and John Cena/Triple H fight the folk people care about' shite we're getting. Some will work better than others, of course.

It's a shame they buggered up Nexus, twice. It was the perfect time to get new talent over.

Archived