Raw thread - 28/5

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members
I think they've missed a trick by not ending the Bryan/Punk match with some altercation between Kane & AJ.

AJ will probably end up with Kane at the end of it, so they aren't going to want to give that anyway already (especially considering this angle has no legs whatsoever anyway). Bryan and Punk's angle is already dead on its arse, but at least they have good matches. Sticking Kane's big head in there makes things even more daft. A Punk vs Bryan vs Kane match sounds like a mental idea. It does more harm than good. The only reason for Kane being in the match is if it turns out Kane and AJ are together. Otherwise Kane being there just takes away from the match.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Raw wasn't great. I can't really get on board with this Big Show stuff. Fair play to them for giving it a go at making Big Show's 432098576359345475789th heel turn seem like a big deal, but it's a bit like putting a new ribbon on a crusty old shit that we've seen a million times already. They're really hyping it with the tweets and overstatements to try and make it seem like it's not autopilot rubbish, but I don't know that anyone's buying it. "The darkest day in WWE history"? Fuck off. It might be, but not in the way they mean. Show was good bullying people and the ending was alright, but I've no interest in him vs Cena.

I still hate AJ. Punk vs Bryan was good.

Why so odd? Been on holiday so only just caught up with the last few weeks including Over The Limit.

Oh, so you were commenting on Raw from two weeks ago then. That at least makes more sense now.

It doesn't really. He's still gone straight from WrestleMania to the Raw before Over The Limit, the nutter. "Hang on, last week Triple H tore his quad in a tag team match and they said he'd be out for a year, and now this week he's being given a world title by Eric Bischoff? The writing and consistency is shit."

I thought it was a lot better than last week

Big Show's delivery of the generic 'I don't need you fans anymore' promo was decent, Punk and Bryan were good and AJ has the quality combination of being cute as fuck and having an arse you couldn't get bored of

• Paid Members
The big Johnny WWE '13 cover was better than the Punk one IMO (Not that the Punk one is bad, i quite like it) and also, what is with the WWE Attitude logo on the cover? Not really seen the trailers for the new game or read anything about it.

I was wondering about the Attitude logo as well. What's that all about? They haven't used that in yonks.

i'll just start off by saying that I didn't enjoy that show at all. I thought it was dull, boring, weak in star power, and completely uninteresting. The Big Show is such an oaf, go away you boring old fart. As a die hard wrestling fan, but someone that has only watched a small handful of UFC shows, he's stupid "Phony UFC" comment on a pro wrestling show was just a complete and utter laugh even to me. They even had Brodus Clay in the main event, that tells you everything really. Other than a couple of new guys on Smackdown that will probably be given up on by the writers by the end of Summer, WWE is just so stale at the moment. Impact was a 100 times better than this weak garbage.

The big Johnny WWE '13 cover was better than the Punk one IMO (Not that the Punk one is bad, i quite like it) and also, what is with the WWE Attitude logo on the cover? Not really seen the trailers for the new game or read anything about it.

I was wondering about the Attitude logo as well. What's that all about? They haven't used that in yonks.

Judging from the write-ups of the leaked trailer, there's going to be a heavy Attitude-Era emphasis in the game, with loads of Legends from that era and classic arenas, brawling-through-the-crowd spots and stuff like that...my guess is, that will feature heavily in the marketing, hence the use of the logo.

• Paid Members

Whats the point in that? Most of the attitude era legends have either been on games regularly before (Austin, Rock, Foley, Vince) or are still knocking about (Undertaker, Triple H, Big Show, Kane). Unless they are going to put Road Dogg and The Godfather in it, there isn't to much new about it. From the Attitude era to the sort of modern WWE Playstation/XBox games, nothing really changed. There have been pretty good modern games with the Attitude era roster on it. Smackdown Here Comes The Pain and Smackdown vs Raw 2006 has most of that lot and the commentators as well.

Call me a miserable cunt, but is anyone else fucking sick of the Attitude era? It doesn't feel like that long ago, and most of the footage has been played to death on DVDs and video packages. There's no charm with it. The angles and my memories of the period is still great, dont get me wrong but its been done to death on a nostalgic front. How many times can you rewatch Austin filling Vince's car with cement or DX invading WCW. And we'll probably get to see it another 1000 times when they do the Raw 20th Anniversary.

I think it's more about capturing the look and feel of the era than about the specific guys in it being anything new. It's just a theme to tack on the game to make it stand out from previous years really, and there'll probably be a lot of emphasis on Attitude Era vs. Modern WWE in the RTWM storyline. A big part of what the games try to do these days is wish-fulfillment for long-term fans.

It's basically the same lark as the WCW-comeback theme last year.

Raw wasn't great. I can't really get on board with this Big Show stuff. Fair play to them for giving it a go at making Big Show's 432098576359345475789th heel turn seem like a big deal, but it's a bit like putting a new ribbon on a crusty old shit that we've seen a million times already. They're really hyping it with the tweets and overstatements to try and make it seem like it's not autopilot rubbish, but I don't know that anyone's buying it. "The darkest day in WWE history"? Fuck off. It might be, but not in the way they mean. Show was good bullying people and the ending was alright, but I've no interest in him vs Cena.

I still hate AJ. Punk vs Bryan was good.

Why so odd? Been on holiday so only just caught up with the last few weeks including Over The Limit.

Oh, so you were commenting on Raw from two weeks ago then. That at least makes more sense now.

It doesn't really. He's still gone straight from WrestleMania to the Raw before Over The Limit, the nutter. "Hang on, last week Triple H tore his quad in a tag team match and they said he'd be out for a year, and now this week he's being given a world title by Eric Bischoff? The writing and consistency is shit."

Hardly. The writing and show quality was pretty good Post Wrestlemania, making Cena's loss a big deal and needing to get a win over a superstar like Brock Lesnar to get himself back in the game. However, since extreme rules, its like all that has been forgotten and Cena has gone back to crap comedy mode like Wrestlemania and Extreme Rules didnt happen. A superstar like Cena, having beaten someone like Lesnar should be setting his aspirations a bit higher than messing round with Laurenitus. I imagine thats why a portion of the fan base cant take him seriously. Picks up a big win and all he can do us scream loser down the mic at someone only a month after being a loser himself.

There's just no character consistancy and no reason to buy into Cena at the moment

Thought that was a pretty good show actually, especially compared to previous weeks. I still don't give a shit about most of the roster, that won't change anytime soon but there was some good stuff on there.

The Big Show stuff was actually surprisingly good, he cut a good promo at the start that led to the segment with him attacking Kofi, Truth and Brodus at the end. Bryan and Punk had another really good match and the Tag Title match was decent too and hopefully what happened afterwards does lead to Ziggler not being stuck in a tag team with Swagger any longer.

• Paid Members

If I was the art designer I'd have had a side shot (lol side shot, Kooks etc) and have the whole shot be CM Punk's tattooed arm. And have the WWE logo next to his "13" tattoo. Its WWE 13 after all.

Now if they steal this wonderful idea, I'm DMing Dixie and getting on board with this Flair lawsuit. I could be on the creative team by November if this goes my way.

Archived