Opening segment from Impact

IANdrewDiceClay

• Paid Members

I thought it was absolutely fantastic. TNA for all it's mistakes, always has these little things that I have always adored from the product. Reaction was a fantastic little show that I think added that extra little bit of legitimacy to the product, and they still make use of the 'hidden camera' aspect, which I've always thought is the right way to produce backstage segments.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For what it was, it was very well done. However, theres a massive problem from a wider audience POV when youre openly 'shooting' by displaying the script for the show and talking about whats 'supposed to happen' and heading down that route, but at the same time attempting to sell an Open Fight Night where all challenges must be answered. You're just feeding yourself your own shit by doing that.

It's a shame too, because there's no problem with Hogan showing the rest of them the plan for the night, and if they'd left it at that it would've been fine. But then Hogan starts reading his own stage directions off it.One of very few aberrations in an otherwise excellent segment I thought. Bully Ray is awesome.
Exactly right, without Hogan doing that, I think it would have worked. Although part of me thinks you cant run a segment talking about a script at all on the night they are trying to sell as exactly the opposite, an off the wall, unplanned, unscripted night where anyone can call out whoever they want etc.I think you either have to go all the way with this or not at all, either have an open format programme where the audience is in with it all or the opposite.

Wasn't keen on the whole, "hay this is our old script" thing, but ignoring THAT, I have to say I really loved it. Very different, and a really natural evolution of the "hidden camera" concept.

What I REALLY liked is that it made everyone a bit more 3 dimensional. Bully Ray was a scary, but respectful fucker. Angle was calm, factual and calculating, Jeff Hardy was relying on his fan support, AJ was frustrated and wanted the chance to defend his longest reign etc.

The bit where Kurt says "I've won more titles than anyone here" only for Bully Ray to correct him was ingenious.

The only way I would of improved on it would be to try and shorten it a little bit and intersperse it with reality tv style talking heads. I.e. when Jeff Hardy says "your son loves me" it should of jumped to a talking of head of Angle "can't believe that son of bitch brought THAT UP again... why should someone get a shot at the world title because kids like him". Likewise... when Bully Ray was told he wasn't getting the nod, we should of got a talking head of Bully Ray venting his frustration.

Personally I love to see TNA have a stab of going one step further and try to integrate more reality tv esque conventions into the show... it's something they seem to do really well. I mean, how neat would it be for Open Fight Night if they have X Factor style scene in which we're introduced to "local jobber A" who tonight will compete against Austin Aries to win a contract with TNA? I just think it might give the show a bit more depth to it.

Just my thoughts.

• Paid Members

Watched the YouTube clip of the segment. I didn't like it. It was too much like The Apprentice: Bully Ray, you're eliminated. I get it was "different" but that doesn't automatically make it "good".

As hilarious as 420 doing amateur ticket scalping is, that makes no sense.

Was meant to be a jibe at Tommy over how much he loves TNA. "We double-bought tickets! We love TNA! That segment was awesome! TNA is awesome!"

I have not watched TNA for over a year, but found this very refreshing.

Bubba Ray was the star of the segment, and Kurt Angle just looked old and tired - older than even Hogan!

I would love to see WWE have a segment like this (i know it will never happen), as a way of filling up some of the extra hour of RAW.

• Paid Members

Here's Dave Meltzer's take on the opening segment for anyone who's interested. Pretty much the general consensus on here as well. Well done, different, but could have done with less insider shit.

Notes from the 5/24 TV show. Strong show with an excellent main event. It was the monthly Fight Night show. They started with a unique surreal segment. Hogan was in a room with Bully Ray, Kurt Angle, A.J. Styles and Jeff Hardy. He was holding a script. He said it was the script for show 734 (weird, because there have hardly been 734 episodes of Impact), and said it was taped on 5/15 for air on 5/24, so they essentially told everyone the show they were watching was taped nine days earlier. Granted, you

think whoever booked that first segment should of

a) been around when Hogan Bischoff "debuted" on 4th January 2010

and

b) This segment should of been the 1st on 4th January 2010 and not just the same main eventers but with the whole roster

• Paid Members

Only just getting round to watching Impact now and I really loved that opening segment. The performances of Hogan, Angle and especially Bully Ray put pretty much everyone else in the business to shame. Even Hardy and AJ held their own and they aren't known as great talkers.

I didn't have a problem whatsoever with the insider stuff, I think some people are getting the wrong end of the stick with how Hogan made reference to the 'show format'. He didn't call it a script and he didn't say that it contained match results or anything else that would put over the idea that wrestling was fake. If wrestling was real the TV show would still have a format sheet like this. I like how Hogan read out the bit which detailed how he was supposed to put over 'Open Fight Night' and address the four guys. I thought it was a realistic and well acted segment. Top marks from me.

i thought it was good, i like these reality tv segments, it gives it its own feel, i also beleive whoever said they'd like talking heads thrown in, and an x-factor style segment for the open fight night were spot on. its modern and different from wwe, it could catch on.

Archived