Opening segment from Impact

IANdrewDiceClay

• Paid Members

Really different from anything I've seen in a while. I don't think there's been an episode of Raw or Impact in ages that hasn't started with a bloke coming out and talking. But Impact changed it up this week by having this reality show style discussion. It was like something from the Apprentice. It had Hogan trying to decide between Styles, Angle, Bully Ray and Jeff Hardy who should be the number one contender. As I say it was very different. Some liked it some didn't. I thought it was pretty good. The use of Hogan playing a Donald Trump-esque character, instead of the shouty, attention seeking good guy he was when he first turned up, is a wise move. The emphasis of his promos are directed towards the talent instead of trying to outshine them. They are making good use of him, I think. A lot of things on Impact are done really well these days. Its produced 100 times more slick than it used to be.

Have a look and give some opinions on it. Would be interesting to see what you think:

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

The general concept is really good. Making you keep tuning in to see who gets eliminated and who gets the title shot, but I could do without the wanky "this is what was supposed to happen" "I'm shooting now" stuff.

Tonight's episode was the first I've watched in full for ages. Will the world title/4 challengers thing be done on every months Open Fight Night? As I said, I like the idea, it's a good hook. They just need to get rid of the insider shit.

With how much I enjoyed tonight's show and the live ones starting soon, I'm going to try and get back into TNA again.

• Paid Members

Yes, it is pretty good, that. One of the better talking segments I've seen for quite some time.

That said, I actually watched the rest of that bit of video and as soon as Gail Kim's 'nails down the blackboard' voice came on and I saw Eric Young and that fucking Impact Zone crowd kicked in, I really didn't want to watch any more. If I can find the time, I might give TNA another try, though. But three things I hate one after another didn't win me over despite the great opening.

By the way, is there a TNA thread round here that it isn't filled with just Impact spoilers for a few weeks in the future? It doesn't seem as though anyone watching at UK TV pace has anywhere to discuss it.

Thanks Ian, I wouldnt have seen that otherwise. I think between Bully, Angle and Hogan you have three good actors as well and thats made the segment work a lot more.

I'd like to see a US champ scenario featuring Swagger, Ziggler, Kofi Kingston and The Miz. It might be these type of things that give a lot more depth to somebody's character rather than just match 10001 versus each other. Who cares if WWE shamelessly rip it off? AlsoI didnt think the shoot stuff came across too bad as Hogan only showed them a script for the layout of the show and Bully just put himself across as a tough guy, nothing more nothing less.

Perhaps the most interesting thing about that segment, though, is the fact that apparently it was mostly ad-lib. Via PWInsider:

All of the backstage vignettes last night on Impact were unscripted in that none of the verbiage was given to the talents involved. They knew where they were going and were pretty much told to treat it as a serious situation like athletes would talking to their coach as a way to build up the importance of the title and getting the title shot. There are a lot more plans to let the talents speak in their own words and not tightly script them going forward, as the feeling is it will accentuate the talents and differentiate the TV show from WWE's presentation. So, if you liked what they did last night, that's part of the changes TNA is planning going forward.

Will the world title/4 challengers thing be done on every months Open Fight Night?

Yes. It appears so. They did it last month too with the Tag Team Titles, although then the segments were't done exactly in this manner but they were very similar.

Anyway, like I said in the Impact topic, I LOVED the segment. Could've done without some of the insider stuff and I can see why someone wouldn't like the music (even though I like it myself) but overall I thought the segment was fantastic. Just complelling television all-around. Very similar to the Gut Check evaluation segment from last month (the backstage one), in terms of how it was produced. Would definitely like to see them do more things like this going forward.

Hmmmm. I wasn't a fan. I cannot tell you the specific reasons other than I was physically cringing through it. Maybe because it's something vastly different from the norm, but as I say, cringing during a segment is not a good thing. I cringe at American reality shows as well, most probably because I hate the faux seriousness of them. Their incredibly silly with their orchestral music and over the top voice over guys. Good on them for trying something new though.

I loved that opening segment, it was so different and felt much more real. All the guys made the importance of the match, the title and Booby Roode as a threat. It wasn't all shouty like a normal wrestling promo in the ring which instantly made me pay attention. I could of happily watched all the office stuff for the first half hour of the show. Although I expect that would turn casual viewers off if it was too long.

The "format" insider stuff I can understand wouldnt have been liked by some but I felt it was kept in line with kayfabe and wasn't overdone. All that was said was were supposed to be in the ring right now to talk about this but it feels like it needs to be done in a quiet office to work things out properly.

I honestly think segments like this should become more common in pro wrestling to get in line with the 21st century.

That was pretty good. I didn't like the references to the script, as it's always problematic when wrestlers say "all the rest is fake, but this bit is real". However, I like the concept of Hogan getting them all to pitch, in their own words, why they deserve a shot. Jeff Hardy came across as a real prick, which is probably about right, AJ came across as honest but a bit dim, Angle came across as conceited and veteran, and Bully came across as angry and a kisarse. Which is all good, recognisable characters.

I didn't think it felt to gameshow, certainly nowhere near as much as the GutCheck thing, which Ric Flair completely ruined live by changing his vote and therefore breaking the suspense.

I dunno. I respect the effort in trying to be different but I don't think people who tune into a wrestling show want that. I also cant see people who wouldnt normally tune into a wrestling show sticking around if thats how the show opens. Wrestling is so open these days. It's like the more serious emphasis you put on it, the stupider you look. Not saying why bother as such but it's harder now to present a compelling product than it's ever been. I guess it's harder to suspend that disbelief, and sticking five guys in there to rely on acting (wrestlers weak spot) isnt going to get the job done IMO.

It was well produced and the performances were far better than most things you see in wrestling - purely from a believability point of view. Even AJ came off as far more of a "real" person than the usual scripted stuff does for him.

My main complaint would be that it went on for far too long. I liked the concept and the execution, and even i was getting bored by the end, so God knows how quickly it would have turned off someone who though the concept itself was lame. I could do without the dramatic music too, that was rather tacky and did more to make it look fake (which is exactly what they are trying to avoid).

Jeff Hardy looked like a massive spaz sitting there in his face-paint and emo-girl outfit though. Bubba was great.

Archived