NGW Mystery & Mayhem - Sunday 22nd July; Bonus Arena, Hull

Dunny

What did everybody else make of the Nagasaki segment?

There has been mixed reaction to the Kendo segment and I can certainly understand why. But I do need to point out that without Kendo's appearance and co-operation with us, the show simply wouldn't have been the success it was. We got a LOT of media coverage off the back off Kendo's name. Whether people came for Kendo or not, they still found out about the show (and the company) through the media coverage we recieved because of it. It really helped people sit up and take notice of our debut show at the Arena. In turn, this means his appearance helped the show as the amount of people there helped the atmosphere. An empty arena would have been no fun for anybody!

It also means of course that we could announce a return date. We've hopefully drawn more people in with the Kendo appearance and the media coverage that it brought and now they'll stay for the action, atmosphere and set up that we gave them and be back on November 11th.

Kendo barely makes any public appearances so for him to come and do that for us was amazing, it's given us as a company a great platform to push on. He was great to deal with and he did a lot for us.

I hope this explains a little behind the thinking of it all.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree with you to a point. I was there with a mate who is a casual fan and he was like 'What is this shit?'.

I didn't really give a shit about the Kendo booking if I'm honest, he was never one I'd go out of my way to watch.

However, upon hearing he was due to appear I figured it was gonna be more a kind of 'Hi. I'm Kendo Nagasaki. Bye' thing than anything else. After all, what else was he gonna do?

Still, the booking did work on some level as the chap infront of me said that he hadn't seen British wrestling in years and wasnt familiar with the current crop of talent, but bought a ticket specifically to see and meet Kendo Nagasaki, who he remembers watching on TV as a kid.

Sadly, he said his goodbye's straight after the Kendo segment, but did indicate he may come to future shows.

As long as he bought people in that wouldn't usually come then it can't be a bad thing, shame that guy didn't stay for the 8 man or the main though, if he's unfamiliar with the current crop it would have been good for him to see the likes of Rampage, Ligero, Predators etc, he must have been impressed by the abilities of Stixx and Cruz! Different worlds though I suppose as the stuff we have today is miles apart from the old Brit stuff.

Ah, I see. Did not get that. Have never seen him skivvy anything though - he should at least get Cruz a bottle of water to sip during a break in his matches or something. You just can't get the staff these days!

Agree with that although I don't think he's really necessary, just one more body who along with photographers gets in the way of the view, especially in the normal venue

Ringside is pretty hazardous at Eastmount.

Melanie Price got soaked with a drink a couple of shows ago. Poor girl.

There has been mixed reaction to the Kendo segment and I can certainly understand why. But I do need to point out that without Kendo's appearance and co-operation with us, the show simply wouldn't have been the success it was. We got a LOT of media coverage off the back off Kendo's name. Whether people came for Kendo or not, they still found out about the show (and the company) through the media coverage we recieved because of it. It really helped people sit up and take notice of our debut show at the Arena. In turn, this means his appearance helped the show as the amount of people there helped the atmosphere. An empty arena would have been no fun for anybody!

It also means of course that we could announce a return date. We've hopefully drawn more people in with the Kendo appearance and the media coverage that it brought and now they'll stay for the action, atmosphere and set up that we gave them and be back on November 11th.

Kendo barely makes any public appearances so for him to come and do that for us was amazing, it's given us as a company a great platform to push on. He was great to deal with and he did a lot for us.

I don't want it to sound like I am criticizing what you do in anyway at all as I think your shows are some of the best in the country at the moment, for me the Kendo segment didn't work, but the rest of the show certainly did and it was really nice to see such a large turnout - if that was in part down to Kendo being billed then that is great and any extra advertising or exposure the company gets then well done on it. I must admit that until you announced him I had never even heard of him and had to look him up on the internet to see who he was. I also paid the extra money for the wristband to go and do the meet and greet and to be honest found him to be a bit of a misery, it seemed like he was one of those guys more interested in a quick pay day than having anything to say to the fans or signing anything, but as I have learnt over the years, there are quite a few guys out there like that!

Ah, I see. Did not get that. Have never seen him skivvy anything though - he should at least get Cruz a bottle of water to sip during a break in his matches or something. You just can't get the staff these days!

Agree with that although I don't think he's really necessary, just one more body who along with photographers gets in the way of the view, especially in the normal venue

Ringside is pretty hazardous at Eastmount.

Melanie Price got soaked with a drink a couple of shows ago. Poor girl.

Yes I remember it well.....Melanie....wet...... was actually one of my highlights of the night ;)

As long as he bought people in that wouldn't usually come then it can't be a bad thing, shame that guy didn't stay for the 8 man or the main though, if he's unfamiliar with the current crop it would have been good for him to see the likes of Rampage, Ligero, Predators etc, he must have been impressed by the abilities of Stixx and Cruz! Different worlds though I suppose as the stuff we have today is miles apart from the old Brit stuff.

Yeah, I guess to that point Kendo served his purpose.

Bloke in question did have to ask about the rules of the 4-way Scramble as he had never seen one and didn't get why they weren't tagging, why there was only one fall etc. As you say, the current stuff is miles apart from what I think he was used to.

Bloke in question did have to ask about the rules of the 4-way Scramble as he had never seen one and didn't get why they weren't tagging, why there was only one fall etc. As you say, the current stuff is miles apart from what I think he was used to.

Seems hard to get the older generation interested in the stuff that goes on now, which is a real shame, I was chatting to an older guy there aswell at one point during the interval who said he remembered the days of Big Daddy, he had been impressed with Stixx's size and agility and said he would come along again to NGW but again I got the impression he had been a little lost with some of the proceedings, may have been the same guy lol

I don't want it to sound like I am criticizing what you do in anyway at all as I think your shows are some of the best in the country at the moment, for me the Kendo segment didn't work, but the rest of the show certainly did and it was really nice to see such a large turnout - if that was in part down to Kendo being billed then that is great and any extra advertising or exposure the company gets then well done on it. I must admit that until you announced him I had never even heard of him and had to look him up on the internet to see who he was. I also paid the extra money for the wristband to go and do the meet and greet and to be honest found him to be a bit of a misery, it seemed like he was one of those guys more interested in a quick pay day than having anything to say to the fans or signing anything, but as I have learnt over the years, there are quite a few guys out there like that!

Not at all! We appreciate your support and understand why the Kendo segment wouldn't work for everyone and doesn't fit in with the usual theme and pace of NGW shows. Just as an overall impact, it made a huge impact to outcome of the show and will hopefully make a big difference going forward.

Not at all! We appreciate your support and understand why the Kendo segment wouldn't work for everyone and doesn't fit in with the usual theme and pace of NGW shows. Just as an overall impact, it made a huge impact to outcome of the show and will hopefully make a big difference going forward.

Are the predators gonna be back on the shows regularly now?

• Paid Members

Just wanted to say that although I personally didn't enjoy the Kendo bit it was a major reason why I wanted to be there. It created exposure and brought new fans to experience NGW which can only be a good thing.

Dunny and Luke are doing EVERYTHING right and have slowly built something very very special. I for one am very proud of them as friends and a fellow promoter and hope that one day I can match there high standards. NGW is a company that the British wrestling scene should be very proud of !

Seems hard to get the older generation interested in the stuff that goes on now, which is a real shame, I was chatting to an older guy there aswell at one point during the interval who said he remembered the days of Big Daddy, he had been impressed with Stixx's size and agility and said he would come along again to NGW but again I got the impression he had been a little lost with some of the proceedings, may have been the same guy lol

It's funny to think he has been in Ladder matches though -

Just wanted to say that although I personally didn't enjoy the Kendo bit it was a major reason why I wanted to be there. It created exposure and brought new fans to experience NGW which can only be a good thing.

Dunny and Luke are doing EVERYTHING right and have slowly built something very very special. I for one am very proud of them as friends and a fellow promoter and hope that one day I can match there high standards. NGW is a company that the British wrestling scene should be very proud of !

I completely agree with you about NGW being very special, the thought they put into everything they do is fantastic, I have been to a few of your own shows and they are always great fun aswell but I believe NGW is pinching the torch from IPW:UK as providing the best shows in the country at the moment, we have a lot of great companies at the moment, Fight Club Pro, Southside, 4FW, IPW, NGW and even Futureshock and Preston to an extent.

It's funny to think he has been in Ladder matches though -

I didn't realise they even did ladder matches back then! That looks like a bit of fun, shame some of the older fans don't associate some of what they used to do back in the day to being like todays guys then as it seems they did some similar stuff

Archived