NGW Mystery & Mayhem - Sunday 22nd July; Bonus Arena, Hull

Dunny

Wow! Well done NGW! That looks an incredible turn out, and very professional looking set up, real super show feel! NGW have made some really massive strides as a company, they deserve every credit.

Anymore info other than the above results? Anyone go to the show?

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good Event overall, maybe not quite up to the usual standard of NGW shows but that may be down to the fact that it is harder to create the same atmosphere in large arena's whereas at the usual venue obviously has the fans a lot closer packed in and generates its own atmosphere.

That being said, the event was enjoyable for the most part....

The opening match was reasonable, I am not particularly impressed with Lion Kid as a performer, there is always too much flipping about and attempted high flying off all the ropes than isn't really needed. Haskins bumped his ass off in the match and made the best of it but would have been nice to see Haskins getting some higher quality opposition on such a large show.

The 4 way match again was enjoyable, nice to see CJ Banks on the show and being mixed in a match with Caz Crash who is really coming on nicely. Matt Myers is one of my favourite guys and I have followed his rise from rookie to champion and loved every minute of the story so far. The other lad in the 4 way (Xander Cooper) I had not had the chance to see first hand before and have to say I wasn't overly impressed, he seemed awkward with what he did and never seemed to settle in front of the crowd, there are some great babyfaces in the UK at the moment and I felt he was maybe a bit of an afterthought or 'stocking filler' when it came to making the match a 4 way. Would have been nice to see someone like Bubblegum, Angelus or Scurll in there what with it being such a big show.

The womens match was enjoyable, Jazzy always manages to captivate a crowd with her prescence. Winter looks good, maybe better than she has ever looked before and the match delivered what you would have expected from such a high profile pair of ladies. I saw Winter wrestle Nikki Storm at Eve a week or so ago and this match may not have been quite as good as that one but was certainly a great performance.

4th on the bill was the match of the night by a mile, on one side we had the 'Showstealer' Nathan Cruz, arguably one of the biggest stars in the UK at the moment against the 'Heavyweight House of Pain' Stixx who in my eyes is the best big man in the country at the moment having stolen the torch from Dave Mastiff over the past 2 years or so. Stixx is absolutely fantastic and seems to be able to work convincingly against guys of any size. It's a real shame he hasn't had many runs as champion anywhere in the UK at the moment as I don't think there is a harder working or more believable big guy anywhere else. The match went back and forth with near falls for both guys and plenty of great spots expertly executed. A definite 'Match of The Year 2012' contender with Stixx picking up a great victory. For me the only part of the match or indeed any part of Cruz's 'entourage' that I do not buy into is 'Kev Cash' - Cruz is billed from 'Beverly Hills' - he has the lovely Melanie Price on his arm leading him out and Cash just feels like he doesn't fit the gimmick, maybe lose the tracksuit top and baseball cap?

Had the show finished at this point, I think it would have been right up there with the other top shows of the year....unfortunately we were subjected to an 8 minute video clip of 'Kendo Nagasaki' before his 'appearance' in the ring with a host of older 'British Wrestling' followers. Nagasaki basically did nothing, there was an older lady with him in the ring doing all of the talking from some ridiculous microphone piece that made it almost impossible for you to understand what she was saying, some awful form of salt ritual where Nagasaki made his only movements of the evening by throwing a bit of salt in the ring from a bowl and some form of presentation.

All in all the segment was far too long and completely pointless, the crowd were incredibly dead with boredom by the time it had finished and that could literally have been anyone underneath the Nagasaki mask and not even the man himself. I felt very sorry for the guys having to follow this segment as it really bought the entire atmosphere and crowd down.

Next up though was the 8 man which on paper promised to be high flying, entertaining and a sure thing to bring the crowd back up....on one side we had crowd favourite Avian teaming with Robbie X and Los Amigos to take on The Predators and Team GB. The Predators are great heels, getting heat from the very minute they appear through the curtain, it was nice to see them back in NGW having not been seen since the Tag Title Tournament. Team GB as always delivered as they do but for some reason the match never seemed to really get into its stride, certainly not for the calibre of guys that were in it. The finish to the match didn't appear to make a lot of sense and in all it was a little disappointing, Avian seems to have lost his way since his brother stopped working and really doesn't look as impressive as he used to (although the hair cut is a definite improvement), I think he needs some singles time to get himself back on track and show the doubters how good he really is.

Following the 8 man with the crowd just back on the up before the main event they decided to do the NGW Raffle! What a ridiculous time to do a raffle as it again pulled the crowd back down and made them restless....the Interval would have been a much better time for a raffle!

The main followed and pitted the NGW Champion Rampage Brown against the newly turned Babyface Collossus Kennedy, I was sceptical of Kennedy playing face but really enjoyed the match as a whole, the brawl through the crowd was good and the NGW staff controlled the crowd well despite the prescence of loads of children attempting to get in the way. Rampage is a great champion and certainly one of the top guys in the UK at the moment.

Overall a nice event and a great turnout so that has to be applauded and is always nice to see.

Too Me, The Problem was a lot of Newbie's to NGW not really knowing the storylines and didnt really know what was going which killed the atmosphere a bit but as this was the first show at a new venue this was too be expected. All in all i thought it was a cracking effort by NGW and i'm sure 98% of the crowd will be back next time round.

As for the Raffle it's in a perfect position at the Eastmount NGW's other venue the crowd usually get a buzz from RAFFLEMANIA its all part of the NGW tradition, I guess with the bigger crowd and the newbie's they didnt get this.

After a few days to reflect, I'm incredibly pleased with how our debut at the arena went. As you can tell from the picture above, it was very busy.

The NGW crew were fantastic on set up, it wouldnt have been possible without them.

I have to say a thank you to everyone who sent their best wishes before or after the show. I've recieved supportive messages from at least 10 other promoters (past and present) from all different areas of the country. The support really means a lot, and it makes me proud to be part of British wrestling.

Another picture as the venue was just starting to fill up...

558386_10151135969130815_900313448_n.jpg

We'll be back at the Sports Arena on Sunday November 11th. In the meantime, our next big show is Summer Smash Brawl 5 on Friday 24th August. Details to follow shortly

For me the only part of the match or indeed any part of Cruz's 'entourage' that I do not buy into is 'Kev Cash' - Cruz is billed from 'Beverly Hills' - he has the lovely Melanie Price on his arm leading him out and Cash just feels like he doesn't fit the gimmick, maybe lose the tracksuit top and baseball cap?

Have to agree with this. Have never understood why Cruz has a chav with him. Has it ever been explained?

Sexy girl. Makes sense. Big bodyguard (or not, now). Makes sense. Business advisor/consultant whatever. Makes sense. Chav? Nope, don't get it.

For me the only part of the match or indeed any part of Cruz's 'entourage' that I do not buy into is 'Kev Cash' - Cruz is billed from 'Beverly Hills' - he has the lovely Melanie Price on his arm leading him out and Cash just feels like he doesn't fit the gimmick, maybe lose the tracksuit top and baseball cap?

Have to agree with this. Have never understood why Cruz has a chav with him. Has it ever been explained?

Sexy girl. Makes sense. Big bodyguard (or not, now). Makes sense. Business advisor/consultant whatever. Makes sense. Chav? Nope, don't get it.

Kev Cash is the water/towel boy and characterises the 'hanger-ons' to celebrities. He barely gets referred to by Cruz as he's basically the skivvy that carries things and does jobs. An important part of any entourage.

Lol....I can see that I suppose, just looks a bit odd out there without the rest of the entourage as the Chav element certainly doesn't fit in with the high roller Beverly Hills style stuff

Kev Cash is the water/towel boy and characterises the 'hanger-ons' to celebrities. He barely gets referred to by Cruz as he's basically the skivvy that carries things and does jobs. An important part of any entourage.

Ah, I see. Did not get that. Have never seen him skivvy anything though - he should at least get Cruz a bottle of water to sip during a break in his matches or something. You just can't get the staff these days!

What did everybody else make of the Nagasaki segment?

I agree with you to a point. I was there with a mate who is a casual fan and he was like 'What is this shit?'.

I didn't really give a shit about the Kendo booking if I'm honest, he was never one I'd go out of my way to watch.

However, upon hearing he was due to appear I figured it was gonna be more a kind of 'Hi. I'm Kendo Nagasaki. Bye' thing than anything else. After all, what else was he gonna do?

Still, the booking did work on some level as the chap infront of me said that he hadn't seen British wrestling in years and wasnt familiar with the current crop of talent, but bought a ticket specifically to see and meet Kendo Nagasaki, who he remembers watching on TV as a kid.

Sadly, he said his goodbye's straight after the Kendo segment, but did indicate he may come to future shows.

Ah, I see. Did not get that. Have never seen him skivvy anything though - he should at least get Cruz a bottle of water to sip during a break in his matches or something. You just can't get the staff these days!

Agree with that although I don't think he's really necessary, just one more body who along with photographers gets in the way of the view, especially in the normal venue

Archived