Jericho suspended

SK8_WAR

• Paid Members

Its the best way I could find of saying that the company has long taken to disrespecting the audience of the city or country they happen to be in and I've no doubt it would only have been a matter of time before this method of cheap heat in an area of immense national pride (as Jericho's found out) got someone in hot water. Its happened to be Jericho and it all seems harsh to punish him alone.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Its the best way I could find of saying that heels in every wrestling company ever have long taken to disrespecting the audience of the city or country they happen to be in and I've no doubt it would only have been a matter of time before this method of cheap heat in an area of immense national pride (as Jericho's found out) got someone in hot water.

Fixed.

Its happened to be Jericho and it all seems harsh to punish him alone.

Who else are they meant to punish? CM Punk for being in the ring at the same time? Shawn Michaels getting a month's suspension in 2012 for sticking a Canadian flag up his nose about fifteen years ago makes no sense. Johnny Ace is on crutches and scooters at the minute, he's in no shape to round up every wrestler in the history of wrestling who has ever messed about with a flag on a show. Especially since none of them did so this week whilst being a WWE talent in a new touring market where flag-bashing is illegal and a big deal, during a Linda McMahon political campaign and an era of WWE trying to come off as wholesome entertainment.

The world has gone fucking soft. Crumpling a flag up is illegal?!? People are so thin-skinned. I guess it's a cultural difference, in Australia we can have a laugh about nationalities, including our own. Police in Brazil stopped the show? It's like if a movie had a rape scene and police stopped the movie because rape is illegal. It's entertainment, they should be allowed to break real world conventions. What Jericho did doesn't harm anyone, apart from the fragile emotions of Brazilians, and it's ridiculous that they can't distinguish between reality and a performance.

• Paid Members

Yes but remember Shane O Mac, Australians don't give a solitary shit about anything. In Brazil it's the law, and you need to respect such laws. It's not thin skinned, it's part of their life and culture. Like scoffing at laws in Arabian countries prohibiting public affection as mild as kissing. What's good for the goose isn't always good for the gander. Other countries probably think we're insane because of certain laws, I'd agree with them in some cases.

• Paid Members

Off-topic, but isn't there some INSANE law that if they find Paracetomal on you, in an Arabic country, they'll throw you in a "Midnight Express" style hell hole for God knows how long? Absolutely insane.

• Moderators
It's like if a movie had a rape scene and police stopped the movie because rape is illegal. It's entertainment, they should be allowed to break real world conventions.

Was Susan George really raped in Straw Dogs? No.

Did Chris Jericho really stamp on the flag? Yes.

Laws is laws. No-one actually gets raped in rape scenes. That's the major difference here.

The most disturbing thing I've learned from this thread is the news that they've still not given up on this ridiculous campaign to get Linda McMahon into the senate. Hellfire.

Also, did The Revolution burn the American flag once in an angle with Jim Duggan during the early days of Russo's WCW run?

Shane Douglas tried to but Bret Hart (of all people) ran in and stopped it.

Vince wanted Sgt Slaughter to burn old glory during his feud with Hogan but Slaughter said no.

The world has gone fucking soft. Crumpling a flag up is illegal?!? People are so thin-skinned. I guess it's a cultural difference, in Australia we can have a laugh about nationalities, including our own.

simpsonsgood06.jpg

ceV.jpg

And see, we found that funny. Try sending up Brazil like that, there'd be a injunction filed to stop it being televised. See how they've reacted to Chael Sonnen? I just can't believe the uproar about it, and why it's an actual law. Is it harmful? No. Is it disrespectful? Yeah. But grow a pair and get over it.

It's about context as well. Perhaps the rape comparison wasn't so apt, as one involves harming a human being and the other involves crumpling a piece of fabric. I have pride in my country, but I also have a brain in my head know that if Jericho were to do that to my flag, it's part of a character's performance and doesn't reflect the feelings of Chris Irvine.

• Paid Members

Its illegal over there though, so your feelings on it mean bollock all. He broke the law and they went spastic about it. You have to respect other counties cultures, no matter how narrow minded your views maybe. If Brazil told WWE they no longer wanted them to tour in that country, Jericho would have cost the company and his fellow workers a lot of money.

Its not about whether we feel its an overreaction. Its about a wrestler who claims he's a master heel, going for the biggest cheap heat tactic in the book and fucking up royally on it.

Off-topic, but isn't there some INSANE law that if they find Paracetomal on you, in an Arabic country, they'll throw you in a "Midnight Express" style hell hole for God knows how long? Absolutely insane.

I don't know about that, but divas don't go on some of the tours because they'd be arrested for wearing their wrestling outfits in some of those curry-centric countries.

If Jericho was aware of it, absolutely. It seems no different though to JBL's goose stepping incident in Germany, which had no repercussions, even though it was widely discussed as being controversial, and I see the logic and reason in people being upset in that instance. It's just unfortunate for Jericho, unless all the talent were briefed that mocking Brazil is illegal, it sucks that he loses money for a simple cheap heat tactic, which has been used for decades in various areas.

You're right about the hypothetical repercussions, but Jericho apologised and the show went on, so it's a moot point really.

If Jericho was aware of it, absolutely. It seems no different though to JBL's goose stepping incident in Germany,

The context of what's acceptable in a WWE ring was very different then. JBL was in the midst of a run as a racist heel, and just coming off a match where Roided Cock Eddie Guerrero nearly killed himself due to blood loss. This was the same time that Kane raping Lita was one of Raw's main storylines. Boring Robot hadn't killed his family and cast such a shadow on wrestling at the time, so Vinnie could get away with more "lol fuck u" responses to things.

which had no repercussions, even though it was widely discussed as being controversial

JBL got sacked from CNBC for it.

Archived