Jericho suspended

SK8_WAR

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Finlay being fired was a mass overreaction on WWE's part.

Eric Bishoff's book was called Controversy Creates Cash, being controversial has always been part of the wrestling business.

And so has money from sponsorship and advertising over the past 25 years.

Suspending Jericho for a minor infraction is madness.

It's not a minor infraction if it courts terrible pub on a first tour there and possibly kills the area for them.

It's amazing how times change. You had Sgt Slaughter burning the American flag to generate heat for his match against Hogan at Wrestlemania 7, yes it may have been controversial but the WWF at the time hardly suffered when it came to repeat business.

Fast forward to today, Finlay being let go just for accidentally playing music during the American National Anthem due to complaints, Jericho being suspended for stamping on the Brazilian flag due to complaints I mean come on surely this is political correctness gone mad.

• Paid Members

He didn't burn the American Flag. He burned a Hulk Rules shirt, which arguably was worse, but was never going to cause outrage or have heads rolling.

Also, business took a massive fall during that exploitation angle. The Slaughter/Pukeamania feud is perfect example of how this is just fake wrestling, and if you go to close to the bone it will turn people off.

Fast forward to today, Finlay being let go just for accidentally playing music during the American National Anthem,

It wasn't an accident, it was done to get heat.

I think it was the Miz, coming out and interrupting the National Anthem to a load of crowd heat. They got too much though, as military types in the crowd threw a pathetic girly fit and management had to punish the bloke who's call it was (Finlay).

• Paid Members
Fast forward to today, Finlay being let go just for accidentally playing music during the American National Anthem due to complaints, Jericho being suspended for stamping on the Brazilian flag due to complaints I mean come on surely this is political correctness gone mad.

mqdefault.jpg

"You can't even write racial abuse in excrement on someone's car."

mqdefault.jpg

"You can't even write racial abuse in excrement on someone's car."

Huh, did Darren Clarke really say that?

• Paid Members
It's amazing how times change. You had Sgt Slaughter burning the American flag to generate heat for his match against Hogan at Wrestlemania 7, yes it may have been controversial but the WWF at the time hardly suffered when it came to repeat business.

Sometimes, hindsight is fucking blind. The baseball player Rick Monday is still best known for stopping two protesters from burning the flag, and you think that they had Slaughter burn the flag on TV? He'd have legit been shot, the yanks have special bins at some places for flag disposal, so as not to disrespect some fabric.

rick-monday-american-flag.jpg

• Moderators
Finlay being fired was a mass overreaction on WWE's part.

Eric Bishoff's book was called Controversy Creates Cash, being controversial has always been part of the wrestling business.

And so has money from sponsorship and advertising over the past 25 years.

Suspending Jericho for a minor infraction is madness.

It's not a minor infraction if it courts terrible pub on a first tour there and possibly kills the area for them.

SUPERWRONG. I don't think one thing you said there is actually accurate. Be quiet.

Jericho broke the law while being a visitor to the country. He's done wrong he should be suspended.

Ok I fouled up on the Slaughter burning the American flag quote, however the main point I am trying to make is that when you watch a wrestling show there are always some elements that are deemed controversial.

But wrestling is just that a show, now the whole idea of a show is to entertain, Chris Jericho is portraying a character and the actions in the ring reflect on the character that is being played.

Fact and fiction have always had a habbit of being mixed up when it comes to wrestling but it does start to get stupid when people start to believe that the person playing a role is like that in real life.

Chris Jericho was only doing what the heel character demanded of it, obviously the concept of what a character is all about are lost on some people.

• Moderators

You were wrong about Finlay playing the music "accidentally" as well. Also, as regards business as you said in that post... Well, Slaughter vs Hogan was SUCH A SUCCESS that they had to move from the LA Coliseum to the 75,000 seats smaller LA Sports Arena. WHAT A SUCCESS!

Chris Jericho was only doing what the heel character demanded of it, obviously the concept of what a character is all about are lost on some people.

What? Cheap heat? Is that what the concept of a heel character is to you? I wish a heel would wipe their smeg all over your mothers lips for cheap heat next time. That's a character concept I can get behind.

Fact and fiction have always had a habbit of being mixed up when it comes to wrestling but it does start to get stupid when people start to believe that the person playing a role is like that in real life.

Yeah. Suspension of disbelief is fucking stupid and we should all step back while watching it and say "wow, while he's stamping over a countries flag which is a bit offensive like, it's a fantastic heel persona he's projecting right now!". Mind you, you're the same cretin who claimed Brazil is backward. So your mileage may vary.

• Paid Members
In that case PowerButchi I take it you will be the first one to protest when the Welsh flag gets stamped on at the next WWE house show.

Why did you come back? You asked for your Dingo Warrior account to be closed because you were getting deserved abuse from all quarters, and then came back almost immediately with this account, resuming stinking up threads with your pig-ignorant opinions.

Archived