The Why Don't You Get a Job Thread

I hope everyone's been ok on the jobs front with the amount of redundancies and furloughing going on. As a reminder, I work in HR and am happy to help with any questions that come up, particularly relating to the Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've accepted a new job as Education Programme Manager for a very well regarded charitable foundation. Basically get to design, run and promote ways to make the UK education system fairer, especially

Waaahey! After applying for 60+ jobs since my redundancy at the end of last year, I got a phone call today offering me the job I video interviewed for only yesterday. I'll be working days (in my old p

It’s been a bit of an emotional day for me... but in a good way. Just over three years ago I was made redundant. It was extremely upsetting because I’d only been in the job a couple of months hav

Posted Images

So Mrs Grecian has been put on furlough, as of 1st April as part of the Government scheme. However, she works for a small company, and the owner has said he'd 'appreciate it enormously if people continued to work while on furlough'. All the paperwork she's been given states that she shouldn't work. 

Does anyone know if the Government will be running checks on this? If she does get caught out, is it on her or the company? 

• Paid Members
8 minutes ago, Grecian said:

'appreciate it enormously if people continued to work while on furlough'

No idea about the legal responsibility but if they want them to work why are they furloughing them?

government will cover 80% of wages, so it'll cost them less but they won't lose productivity. Basically taking advantage, won't be the only ones. If it gets caught it'll be on the company not the individual - she'll be paid by the company, she isn't directly receiving the furlough payment.

It's a small company and all their work has been cancelled, but once everything goes back to normal, they'll be okay. She in charge of ordering stock and parts and dealing with customers, so if she ignores her emails while on furlough, the company is screwed. Plus her boss is an arse, so while she's not being directly asked to work, there's a strong chance it'll be held against her if she doesn't. 

• Paid Members

With an email chain between her and customers to show that she was working whilst furloughed that they'll also have over her.  What an awkward position to be in.

Yeah. She's basically being guilted into working. I've suggested she copies her boss into emails so she can prove the company knew she was working and if they tell her to stop, then she stops. 

She's too conscientious for her own good. 

She should make the case that if he needs her to continue working, he'll have to un-furlough her and pay her full wage.  If her boss doesn't agree, then as others have said she needs it in writing or in email so her arse is covered.

I know there are some idiots out there who think they'll be able to get 80% of their wage bill paid and get away with it, but the HMRC isn't stupid.  They'll get caught, and fined massively.

5 hours ago, Grecian said:

So Mrs Grecian has been put on furlough, as of 1st April as part of the Government scheme. However, she works for a small company, and the owner has said he'd 'appreciate it enormously if people continued to work while on furlough'. All the paperwork she's been given states that she shouldn't work. 

Does anyone know if the Government will be running checks on this? If she does get caught out, is it on her or the company? 

There will not be much checking - resources spread too thin. Furloughing expressly states that they are being 'stood down' and there is no work to do. The rules do allow employers to cycle employees on furlough every 3 weeks - i.e furlough a group of people for 3 weeks, then bring them back and furlough another 3 for next 3 weeks and so forth -precisely to cover work that still needs doing. So she should not work at all when furloughed. 

However, if he company is topping up the furlough to ensure everyone is fully paid (i.e. difference between 80% / £2500 per month and full pay) then I can understand why some employers might think its a reasonable ask to to ask an employee to still complete some tasks - but strictly speaking, no they shouldn't. 

She's spoken to a couple of her workmates and they've decided as a group not to work while furloughed. The company isn't topping up her pay, its a small company owned by one arsehole. My shout is he wants to keep it running spending as little money as possible (to be fair, I totally understand why he's doing it) but a lot of them are very unhappy at being put in such a shit position. 

At least it's not just her now. Thanks for the advice, chaps. 

21 hours ago, Bicurious Dad said:

government will cover 80% of wages.

Will they though? Really?

Or is like the claim the government makes that it will pay disability to those who are far too ill to work, only to then shaft them and force them to apply for jobs they can't really do?

My belief is, if the government are happy to shaft the terminally and seriously ill, they'll have no issue fucking with the average Joe affected by the virus. 

45 minutes ago, Bicurious Dad said:

Bored again David?

Just asking a question. Remember a month or so ago when everyone thought the Tory's were a bunch of self-centred, ridiculous, evil pricks? I personally know two people who's doctors claimed they were entirely unfit for any kind of work, yet this government saw fit to force them to continue the fucking charade of searching and applying for jobs.

What's changed? Do we honestly believe they're going to pay the plebs to sit at home? 

I would pretty much bet my buy-to-let apartment on them adding numerous little loopholes that will see people who assumed they'd get help actually get fuck all.

Anyone who is banking on 80% of their wages being covered by the government are mental. Their track record suggests that such payments will be incredibly difficult to claim, and that most ordinary people get shafted.

I really hope to fuck that I'm wrong mind you, but this is the Tory's we're talking about.

Quick Mrs Grecian update:

She told her boss she was unwilling to work whilst on furlough. His answer was everyone else was willing to (not a surprise, he pays crap money and is a bit of a nob, so most of the workers are recent graduates who don't know much about work and the law until they realise they can make more money elsewhere and leave). 

She refused to cave, so he's now switched her to three weeks on, three weeks off furlough. She stops work on Wednesday for three weeks. 

• neil locked this topic