Sign in to follow this  
kendal mint cake

The Why Don't You Get a Job Thread

I can understand that, give yourself some time to get up from this set back but don't give up your dreams. If this is what you really want, try again and don't give up. 

On 5/15/2019 at 11:01 PM, Ralphy said:

anyone got any general advice please in regards my appeal against my dismissal next week? its on capability grounds, failed my probation, my MH issues caused me to fuck it up 

I'm an HR Director, so I wish I'd seen this a month ago. I'm sorry. An employer is legally required to make reasonable adjustments fo disabilities, but they are not required to accept poor performance due to a disability. if your condition is covered by the disability discrimination act and you informed your employer of the condition, they are required to make reasonable adjustments to help you perform. If you didn't inform them, or you did and their adjustments still meant you couldn't perform at the required level, then they are in the right.

If your condition is not covered by the disability discrimination act then you have no protections. If it is, you could pursue a disability discrimination claim. In my career if fought numerous such claims (and won) from dismissed underperformers because the business was unaware of the disability during employment. Usually there is no disability and the claim is false and falls away, so I expect your employer was cynical of your grounds for appeal - but if you had written evidence that you raised the issue of a disability with you employer whilst in employment, and they didn't make reasonable adjustments, then you have reasonable grounds.

Of course, would you want to put yourself through the pressure of a tribunal claim and all that entails? That is anothwe matter.

On 5/15/2019 at 8:12 PM, Hannibal Scorch said:

Apply for the job. Worst that can happen is they make you redundant and you get the package. If more then 1 of you goes to take redundancy they could let you both walk. £12k won't keep you a float for long (hypertheticly, I mean I have no idea of your financial situation). My best mate got £30k to leave his job at a bookies (he was in head office) and he thought he was made and he would get a job easily. It took almost 9 months, a wage cut and by the time he started he was almost out of cash.

12k is a really poor package - particularly if that includes notice. But it sounds like a legitimate redundancy and they are going down the statutory route. I wouldn't jump at that. Perhaps if you can let me know what the enhancement is, I can advise better.

My appeal was unsuccessful like i predicted, got to sign on tomorrow, ugh :(:(

I wantto use and expand upon my IT skills. they are fairly good, good enough to do a job using IT, but ive never really had any working experience with using computers, only as a hobby with heavy use, i would like to volunteer somewhere to use my skills and hope to get a reference and job that way 

not in a good place right now it has to be said

7 minutes ago, Ralphy said:

My appeal was unsuccessful like i predicted, got to sign on tomorrow, ugh :(:(

I wantto use and expand upon my IT skills. they are fairly good, good enough to do a job using IT, but ive never really had any working experience with using computers, only as a hobby with heavy use, i would like to volunteer somewhere to use my skills and hope to get a reference and job that way 

not in a good place right now it has to be said

You should have a look at temp IT jobs to begin with, firstly some may not require qualifications as such, secondly its temp so if it doesn't work out its not on a long term basis & thirdly if you impress and something permiment comes up they are more likely to take you on. I did IT System Support a few years ago and throughly enjoyed it but without any qualifications in that field and they wanted to take me on full time, I only turned down the offer as I accepted another job whilst nothing was concrete (was only a temp job for 2-3 months) but I supporting branches with IT issues, logging calls/issues, building computers, setting up tablets & burning CCTV to discs (things like potential theft, accidents, robberies etc). Quite simple things anyone with basic knowledge can do and would have progressed onto more advanced things had I stayed. I really enjoyed it and it was Monday-Friday, in a relaxed office almost going at my own pace. Money was quite decent for what it was too.

Edited by Briefcase

On 6/18/2019 at 12:55 AM, MPDTT said:

12k is a really poor package - particularly if that includes notice. But it sounds like a legitimate redundancy and they are going down the statutory route. I wouldn't jump at that. Perhaps if you can let me know what the enhancement is, I can advise better.

Out of interest - Is there such a thing as a law (possibly GDPR) where an employer contacts you through social media as a next of kin when you're not down as a next of kin without any consent from the person who works for them or from me. If I don't make sense we can discuss on PM as it's a complicated & personal matter. 

52 minutes ago, Briefcase said:

Out of interest - Is there such a thing as a law (possibly GDPR) where an employer contacts you through social media as a next of kin when you're not down as a next of kin without any consent from the person who works for them or from me. If I don't make sense we can discuss on PM as it's a complicated & personal matter. 

Technically yes. If the employer couldn't reach the emergency contact, they should not have reached out to someone else. Sharing personal data with anyone other than the emergency contact is a data protection failure

2 hours ago, Briefcase said:

They shouldn't be doing that, don't answer them.  No doubt it's so they can try and say "We tried to get in contact with you" to the person you know.  As MPPDDTTT said, imagine if they contacted someone who was the abusive partner they'd been fleeing, they now know where the person works.

59 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

They shouldn't be doing that, don't answer them.  No doubt it's so they can try and say "We tried to get in contact with you" to the person you know.  As MPPDDTTT said, imagine if they contacted someone who was the abusive partner they'd been fleeing, they now know where the person works.

That's what I thought. Basically to cut a long story short my dad had a stoke on holiday (abroad) earlier in the year, his work was updated by his next of kin (not me) as to what had happened and as you can imagine its no quick process as he had to recover first before flying home. His work was updated during everything but bearing in mind as he was abroad its difficult to get the right information initially but I had two people from his work contact me to ask how he was, one is a work colleague and the other the wages clerk (same thing but she worded it as the wage clerk). I don't know anybody that he works with and I know I am not his next of kin and of course asking through Facebook is iffy to me even if they had the best intentions in mind of asking how he was. I haven't responded but kind of feel that its a bit cheeky of them to be doing that, on one hand you can look at it and say they may just be concerned and passing on well wishes, on the other hand they could also be trying to get info from me. 

I actually have no idea where I stand with this, I don't think its appropriate for someone to contact you on facebook like that when I have never met or even know of them. I'm sure its not legal/right practice. This is also from a well known corporate retailer as well. 

Edited by Briefcase

I’d write a letter of complaint to the head office / Top bods and contact the industry ombudsman about it. It’s an awful thing to have done, regardless of well meaning intentions. 

33 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

I‚Äôd write a letter of complaint to the head office / Top bods and contact the industry ombudsmanÔĽŅ about it. It‚Äôs an awful thing to have done, regardless of well meaning intentions.¬†

Cheers Keith. Might well do that, not sure what really comes of it but if it stops it happening again to someone else that's good enough for me. 

I did try and research this online and couldn't find any cases or anything similar to hand so not even sure where it all stands from a legal point of view, I think companies are quick enough to use social media against employees and rightfully so in some cases but when the shoes on the other foot and you got people messaging I see it as the same thing. I would also argue that technically one of the two employees wouldn't have known about what had happened unless it was through work so again possible breach of confidentiality?

Appreciate the advice, thank you. 

Yep, you can say that them contacting you out of the blue like that just added to the stress of the situation for you.  As I say, it's all relying on you knowing the situation.  Imagine if that was how you found out about it, his work contacting you and telling you?  It ain't on.

15 hours ago, Keith Houchen said:

I’d write a letter of complaint to the head office / Top bods and contact the industry ombudsman about it. It’s an awful thing to have done, regardless of well meaning intentions. 

Complain to the ICO

You would need to prove that a) they had access to corporate held personal information on your Dad and b) that they used this to contact you. I doubt his work has records of your identity and/or social media details so while there may be some internal policy breach it wouldn't be a GDPR breach.