Sign in to follow this  
kendal mint cake

The Why Don't You Get a Job Thread

£12 grand to leave your job? Fuck we live in different worlds. I'd rather have 12 grand for free keep working in nearly any situation. Leaving a job at the same time as buying a house seems like a bad idea but I'm not really the house buying type either.  On reflection I'm not the best person to give you advice.

1 hour ago, Grecian said:

My place of work is currently undergoing a huge restructure in the hopes of saving some cash. We've been told for months that my team is crucial, nothing to worry about, we're already understaffed, yada yada yada.

Got called into a meeting with HR this morning, to be told that the four people of my grade on my team must become three and we're being asked to submit expressions of interest to stay. I've been here 11 years and they've dangled the prospect of an enhanced package for voluntary redundancy if anyone chooses not to apply. This is muddied slightly by the fact my house purchase should be going through next week and the pay-off would pay for some work we need to do to the house. I'd be looking at around £12000, from what I can figure out. However, I am overpaid for what I do and I'm unlikely to find another job straight away that pays what I'm currently on.

Stay and apply for my job, or take the money and walk?

Opinions appreciated!

Apply for the job. Worst that can happen is they make you redundant and you get the package. If more then 1 of you goes to take redundancy they could let you both walk. £12k won't keep you a float for long (hypertheticly, I mean I have no idea of your financial situation). My best mate got £30k to leave his job at a bookies (he was in head office) and he thought he was made and he would get a job easily. It took almost 9 months, a wage cut and by the time he started he was almost out of cash.

anyone got any general advice please in regards my appeal against my dismissal next week? its on capability grounds, failed my probation, my MH issues caused me to fuck it up 

6 hours ago, Grecian said:

My place of work is currently undergoing a huge restructure in the hopes of saving some cash. We've been told for months that my team is crucial, nothing to worry about, we're already understaffed, yada yada yada.

Got called into a meeting with HR this morning, to be told that the four people of my grade on my team must become three and we're being asked to submit expressions of interest to stay. I've been here 11 years and they've dangled the prospect of an enhanced package for voluntary redundancy if anyone chooses not to apply. This is muddied slightly by the fact my house purchase should be going through next week and the pay-off would pay for some work we need to do to the house. I'd be looking at around £12000, from what I can figure out. However, I am overpaid for what I do and I'm unlikely to find another job straight away that pays what I'm currently on.

Stay and apply for my job, or take the money and walk?

Opinions appreciated!

I think its worth remembering that £12k is most likely their low ball opening offer in the hope that someone takes the money and run, you could probably negotiate nearer to £18k if you were comfortable with taking the offer and/or found another line of work that doesn't financially hurt you. Of course aim as high as you can and see what they come back with, depending of course what the others plan on doing. 

Edited by Briefcase

1 hour ago, Briefcase said:

I think its worth remembering that £12k is most likely their low ball opening offer in the hope that someone takes the money and run, you could probably negotiate nearer to £18k if you were comfortable with taking the offer and/or found another line of work that doesn't financially hurt you. Of course aim as high as you can and see what they come back with, depending of course what the others plan on doing. 

I'm in the public sector, so everyone gets their offer made on the same terms, the only negotiation is the leaving date. 

Currently at a PGCE English interview and it's either going so badly I've kid myself it can't get worse or its going well and I'm having a brain fail about it thinking it's going bad. 

More since: interview part went well presentation less so when I found out I'd left a ton of it on a train or a bus and I'm not sure which. 5.30am starts and myself do not cooperate 

Edited by Shy Dad

I've accepted a new job as Education Programme Manager for a very well regarded charitable foundation. Basically get to design, run and promote ways to make the UK education system fairer, especially around STEM subjects, conducting research through to thinking up tangible projects, plus I still get to do government relations and public affairs alongside. 

It's a big step for me in pretty much every way. It's central London daily for the first time so me and the other half are moving to Reading in a few months (neither of us want to actually live in London still!), I have so much scope to mould this work programme how I wish to and I love the fact that one of their company values is essentially we don't give a shit if you get some stuff wrong, aim big with projects. Financially, it's a pretty life changing move for me and puts buying a house with the GF within reach soon. Plus, I have actual budget now and am not going cap in hand like Oliver Twist to scrounge 200 quid for workshop catering or getting some reports printed. 

Best of all, it's an incredibly worthwhile subject to be working on and something close to my heart. I'm beyond delighted. Monday night after I got the news was the first time in my life I've had to pinch myself to make sure it's real. Extremely excited to get to work. 

Didn't get onto the course. Great thing to motivate me to work at 7.30am tomorrow. 

1 hour ago, Shy Dad said:

Didn't get onto the course. Great thing to motivate me to work at 7.30am tomorrow. 

That sucks mate. Have you had any constructive feedback? 

None at all. The absolute shambles of losing my presentation stuff made me pretty sure it wasn't gonna happen anyway. 

Just now have to find something more permanent. 

Could you not apply anywhere else @Shy Dad This is one interview which you know didnt go as planned due to you not having half of your presentation.

Congratulations @Gus Mears it sounds like a great job! I have to say, I'm a little jealous!

It's the knock back effect, I feel absolutely dreadful about it because I planned so hard for all of it for one problem to really mess it up. Just having to rebuild my confidence at the moment which is already at an all time low from other factors.