The Why Don't You Get a Job Thread

kendal mint cake

So that job I mentioned earlier where they asked for salary expectations, a friend works there and told me starting salaries are usually £20k, which is a higher salary than I've been paid elsewhere, so I put that down. They've just sent me an email saying they won't continue with my application because I've asked for more money than they're paying.

What on earth is the point in asking for salary expectations then? Is it simply to weed out those who ask for too much money? Because I'd be more than happy with what they've said the salary is.

Edited by Slapnut

• Paid Members

Has anyone ever done any freelance work for Rev? I got a marketing e-mail from them. You sign up and do transcribing, captioning or translation for them. It's between 40-60c per minute of audio/video. Quite low paid but could be a easy work from home deal for extra cash.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

I started my two week placement at the Camden New Journal today. They sent me straight out to roam around Islington (they also publish the Islington Tribune and West End Extra) to conduct interviews for their weekly People sidebar and then write them up for publication on Friday. So my name will actually be in the Tribune this week! It's not much, but it's a start. 

The receptionist also let slip to me that a couple people left the Tribune in the past few weeks and they're short staffed. I'm going to try my hardest to impress and Then, who knows, maybe I could get a full time gig there. 

• Paid Members

That's brilliant news! Seeing your name in print will be such a great feeling. Well done you.

I had another interview for another job yesterday... and I was offered the position today! I'm over the moon. Didn't tell them anything about previous salaries and just said I was aware of what this was paying and I was comfortable with it. It is a hell of a lot less that what I was on previously but it's literally on my doorstep so I'll be saving on travel costs. I think the best thing for me though is that it's a meaningful role - it's Marketing Manager for a children's hospice. Making a difference in people's lives. I'm thrilled.

That sounds awesome Monkee! My favourite ever job was when I was a Community Development Officer for a housing association working with young people who had fallen out of school, got in trouble with police, had mental health issues etc.

The pay was rubbish and it was gruelling but it was so fulfilling when it went right.

Oh and SpursRiot, awesome work buddy! I'm trying to start my writing again and have applied for a few trainee roles so may have to pick your brains ;)

I'd applied for over 200 jobs in the past 2 weeks since coming out of uni, and was a bit demoralised to only get one phone interview out of all of them. I needn't have been, because I just got offered that job. Full time data entry, sure it's only a temp job, but the pay is far above what I was expecting, and it'll look good on the CV. I don't start til the end of the month, which gives me time to sort my head out (I recently started anti-depressants) and get some other things in order. Feels good not to have to worry about things for a while.

Yes, wear your glasses. Stupid I know but for 4 years interviewing people, I always admired people who wore their glasses. Admittedly I recruited sales people for the construction industry and it was a rarity to see someone wearing glasses, but there you go. 

As a glasses/contacts wearer I wear glasses to interviews (to detract from my awful skin tbh)

The "over-qualification" idea is the biggest pile of bollocks. I'm no careerist - having to work just to survive is the bane of my existence which takes time and energy away from what makes life worth living. I heard it best described as the "deferred life plan". In my current job, I worked my way up from floor worker to production manager on a healthy wage, but after four years of deteriorating health and totally fucked work-life balance, the financial benefits really aren't worth it. I'm still pretty young (33) and the wife and I can afford a reduction in household income. I'd love to step back down into an operator or assistant role, where I get to get my hands dirty and apply my intelligence rather than herding cats in a managerial position, which makes me miserable and has botched my life. Problem is, I know I'll get tarred with the over-qualification brush if I try and go elsewhere, but I wonder if a voluntary demotion will put a longterm blot on my CV. Contradictory, I know, but that's a sign of where I'm at right now.

1 hour ago, SuperBacon said:

Yes, wear your glasses. Stupid I know but for 4 years interviewing people, I always admired people who wore their glasses.

Really? I've been interviewing for the past 10 years and never once been influenced by glasses (although I wear them myself so I guess there's no novelty).  For guys clean shoes and a decent tie knot create a much more impressive first impression for me.  For guys it's quite straight forward - suit, tie, and clean black shoes. 

It's more important that you feel comfortable so you perform to your best.  I've known people who wear glasses to an interview because the feel more confident and, in that case, I would suggest do it.  First impressions are important but should be trumped by the content of what you actually say or do.  Unless you look an absolute state in which case you're screwed.

It's down to personal opinion I guess. 

And you're spot on about being comfortable and dressing according to the client and what's wanted. Some of my smaller clients would actually be put off by full suited and booted, but then meeting client and knowing their culture is vital really. 

Theres no exact science but yeah as long as you don't look an absolute state. I've seen some shockers. I once had a client onsite interviewing and when one candidate turned up, I basically told him there was no point me taking him through as the interview would've lasted all of 2 minutes. European companies are the weirdest. One MD turned up to interview people in a t-shirt and kept his sunglasses on his head throughout which I thought was a bit rum.

• Paid Members
9 hours ago, Monkee said:

That's brilliant news! Seeing your name in print will be such a great feeling. Well done you.

I had another interview for another job yesterday... and I was offered the position today! I'm over the moon. Didn't tell them anything about previous salaries and just said I was aware of what this was paying and I was comfortable with it. It is a hell of a lot less that what I was on previously but it's literally on my doorstep so I'll be saving on travel costs. I think the best thing for me though is that it's a meaningful role - it's Marketing Manager for a children's hospice. Making a difference in people's lives. I'm thrilled.

Really please for you love.  I know you've been through the ringer with it all recently and glad your sorted now.

Start a temp job on Monday, first one since my health scare so glad to be back earning money.  May only be a two month deal but I needed it for the self confidence, reckon I'd have gone off the deep end if I didn't land this but been 10 days sober so hoping I'm on the up.