The Why Don't You Get a Job Thread

kendal mint cake

• Awards Moderator

Benefits not including salary. This is a standard question to gauge how they can frame your salary, offset by benefits based on what you get in your current role.

So it could be, "Ā£28,000, 25 days holiday, 7% pension contribution and gym membership." Something like that.

Job hunting fucking sucks. I finished uni this week and have applied for 100+ jobs since then. By law of averages I feel like I should get at least one interview out of that, but I'm starting to wonder what prospects a 28 year old with a degree in filmmaking and a bunch of short-term dead-end job experiences actually has. Trying to rule out call centre work as it's brought me to the brink of panic attacks in the past, wonder how long I'll be able to keep that up sadly.

• Paid Members

I'm actually about to quit my BDM role and spend a year whilst I still have student finance coming in (plus the meagre amount I've saved from work) to carve out a budding career in freelance writing.Ā 

I fear I'll be making a grumpy return to sales in a year or so, but I might as well give it a go.Ā 

• Paid Members

So I've been in my new job for two and a half months now and I've fuck all to do. I don't appear to actually have a job, I just turn up and sit quietly somewhere being told not to do things.Ā 

It's, well it's really annoying and crushing my motivation, confidence and drive in work and out.Ā 

They would be better off to cut my pay and have me stay at home until I'm shipped back to the UK. At least then they save on their fuck up and I get to study.Ā 

3 minutes ago, Tommy! said:

Ā 

They would be better off to cut my pay and have me stay at home until I'm shipped back to the UK. At least then they save on their fuck up and I get to study.Ā 

Blimey, two months and you've picked up the efficiency already.

8 minutes ago, Tommy! said:

So I've been in my new job for two and a half months now and I've fuck all to do. I don't appear to actually have a job, I just turn up and sit quietly somewhere being told not to do things.

Before you leave, could you forward them my CV?

• Paid Members

I've read a few articles recently about companies asking for previous salary information and how you don't have to provide them with details. I thought it was very interesting. Then, yesterday, I had a call about an interview I went for last week to be told I didn't get the job. The main reason being they were concerned because the salaryĀ was a lot lower than I'd previously been on. So they didn't think I'd stick at the job if I found something else paying a higher wage. This is bullshit. I wouldn't have applied for the job if the salary wasn't what I was after.

I had anotherĀ interview today too where there was concern raised again about the salary. As much as I'm arguing my case that it's fine I can see the issue from the company perspective too. They don't want to go through this process if the candidate is going to leave in a month or two because of a better offer. But I think from now on I might not tell them anything about previous salaries or packages. If they're offering something that I want then I'll apply for the job regardless of what my previous circumstances were.

• Paid Members
5 hours ago, Juan Manforce said:

Job hunting fucking sucks. I finished uni this week and have applied for 100+ jobs since then. By law of averages I feel like I should get at least one interview out of that, but I'm starting to wonder what prospects a 28 year old with a degree in filmmaking and a bunch of short-term dead-end job experiences actually has. Trying to rule out call centre work as it's brought me to the brink of panic attacks in the past, wonder how long I'll be able to keep that up sadly.

I'm 34 and have a degree in film. Don't worry there's jobs out there ( if that's the field you actually want to work in). Try looking at comms jobs in the public sector. A lot of companies are bringing stuff like that in house to avoid paying agency rates but brand them as digital media jobs. Also look at getting in touch with design and marketing agencies about working for them on a freelance basis. The majority of agencies have in house design teams but offer media production services ( design agencies will say they can do anything then figure out how to afterwards) then just hire a freelancer to do it and pay them. I've had near full time work from freelance jobs in the past just from a couple of design agencies.Ā 

9 hours ago, SpursRiot2012 said:

I'm actually about to quit my BDM role and spend a year whilst I still have student finance coming in (plus the meagre amount I've saved from work) to carve out a budding career in freelance writing.Ā 

I fear I'll be making a grumpy return to sales in a year or so, but I might as well give it a go.Ā 

You're a field sales BDM? I never knew that. I'm (fingers crossed) about to secure a job focusing on new business, after years of doing exactly that in recruitment but I've had enough of that side of things, and trading people as they have a tendency to do bat shit crazy things.Ā 

• Paid Members
41 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

You're a field sales BDM? I never knew that. I'm (fingers crossed) about to secure a job focusing on new business, after years of doing exactly that in recruitment but I've had enough of that side of things, and trading people as they have a tendency to do bat shit crazy things.Ā 

I work in-office for a small lead gen company in Hornsey. I account manage a couple of our larger clients (trying to tee up new business for them) and spend the rest of the time trying to win new clients. I'm technically the senior BDM, although I don't have that title.Ā 

I actually told my MD today that I'll likely be leaving at the end of June and he offered me a massive pay rise and was talking about a directorship (I'm not even sure what that would entail) but I really do want out of sales so I'll have to turn it down. He's pretty desperate to keep his good sales people as we've been having serious trouble recruiting anyone that meets the standard we are after. He's had to let go at least six new starters since I've been there and we are actually starting to struggle as we have more client days than people who can make sales calls for them.Ā 

21 hours ago, Monkee said:

This is bullshit. I wouldn't have applied for the job if the salary wasn't what I was after.

I had anotherĀ interview today too where there was concern raised again about the salary. As much as I'm arguing my case that it's fine I can see the issue from the company perspective too. They don't want to go through this process if the candidate is going to leave in a month or two because of a better offer. But I think from now on I might not tell them anything about previous salaries or packages. If they're offering something that I want then I'll apply for the job regardless of what my previous circumstances were.

I've been applying for different jobs, because whilst my current job pays well I am regularly doing 60 hours a week. A few weeks back I did 3 14 hour days back to back with 6 hours of travelling and 8 hours of work every day, because the company couldn't find a cheap enough B&B/hotel nearby. I applied for a job that's a 9-5 and paid less per hour which is 10 minutes drive from mine and i got turned down because they thought I wouldn't stick it out because of the pay drop I would be taking.

I applied for the job because it was local and meant I wasn't finishing work on a Friday, falling asleep on my settee by 10 and waking up at 5am on a Saturday only to climb into bed and sleep for another 6 hours. I'm just fed up of regularly doing 12 hour days and having little to no time to myself.

• Paid Members

And that's exactly what I've been saying too. This job I went for last week was in Luton - aĀ similar travel time to Central London but whereas I'd spent Ā£10 a day on transport there I can put Ā£10 of petrol in my car and it would last me 3 weeks! Also, I'd work similar hours to you in my last job and I wanted something with less responsibility and quieter (as in not London) but it's just fallen on deaf ears. It sucks. As I said, I can see their concern but it's still not fair.

Been along to a recruitment day today for a new restaurant that's opening up soon and got myself a second interview for next week. After I lost a job a few years back, this could be me finally getting back into Full Time work, as everything that I've managed since has been Part Time. Other than Christmas, it's only beenĀ around 20hrs-30hoursĀ a week. Hopefully I get it and it'll take some pressure off of my wife paying more than her fair share of the bills and we can get back to normal and actually start saving