The Why Don't You Get a Job Thread

kendal mint cake

Hold up.. Are you not tattooing fulltime, or are you thinking of jacking in the tattooing altogether?

Oh wait, or do you mean a new physical area, rather than different career?

He wanted to work on a kibbutz for free but sadly, he needed to pay his Jews.

• Paid Members
Why does education have to be associated with career? I'm studying English Literature, simply because I'm interested in it and want to learn as much about it as possible.

But libraries and Google would allow you to do that very thing for fuck all, which is considerably cheaper than many thousands of pounds. Also, learning about it for three years (or maybe another year or two with a masters, PhD etc) then stopping and going working at Asda or generic office or whatever would not be "learning as much about it as possible" anyway. University degrees are only useful for one or more of the following three purposes:

1. Getting a job in a related field.*

2. Dossing for three years with the loan.

3. Bragging to people that you've got a degree because you think it's still the seventies where not every cunt's got one.

Also, on the subject of job applications, you can lie about a degree. I think Charlie Brooker recommended this. I'm sure it wouldn't work for anything decent, but for a generijob that just wants people who have a degree in anything, it's easy to just write it on your CV.

Also: if Charlie brooker recommended it recently, I suspect he did it in the wake of the Yahoo CEO having to resign over making up a degree

*Many of them are not useful for this.

Hush your beak, you're talking daft.

The fact is, a lot of companies/ jobs don't really give a flying feck what degree you did. They're interested in the result. If you do something you hate you'll probably get a worse degree. Sure, there are lots of jobs that require related degrees, but there're also a ton that don't, or else we'd all do bloody business studies.

I've now officially become one of those people who "works in politics" having actually got a job in the thing after the internship I did for BoJo ended. It's a lark, and i've been very fortunate to get there. Who you know etc.

In terms of CVs, a friend who works in one of those companies sent me a rather good skill pack on it. What people are saying on here is obviously bang on, you have to alter dependant on what they want, but it's a great little tool if you have no bloody idea where to start. Happy to send that + covering letter one to people if it would help

Edited by Duke

Hold up.. Are you not tattooing fulltime, or are you thinking of jacking in the tattooing altogether?

Oh wait, or do you mean a new physical area, rather than different career?

I'll always be tattooing, just doing it in a different part of the country. The dream is to travel and just guest spot in different places, but I have a long way to go before I am ready for that

I studied law for a year and then made the choice to give up money.

I've been on the land now for four years. Thankfully, my studies gave me the tools to survive the life of a freeman.

Without the knowledge of the law, I'd probably be in prison for something.

As it happens, I don't need to pay tax, get licenses, and all that rubbish everyone else is roped into doing.

Couldn't do it without my education though (even as incomplete as it is)!

So, yeah, why the fuck do you want a job and all that shit! Good friends, good food, is all you need my friends.

• Moderators

I've been on the land now for four years. Thankfully, my studies gave me the tools to survive the life of a freeman.

As it happens, I don't need to pay tax, get licenses, and all that rubbish everyone else is roped into doing.

So, yeah, why the fuck do you want a job and all that shit! Good friends, good food, is all you need my friends.

Do you eat out of bins outside supermarkets like the mental christians on Wife Swap a couple of years back?

• Paid Members

Do you eat out of bins outside supermarkets like the mental christians on Wife Swap a couple of years back?

please tell me more about these people.

• Moderators

They were called Jesus Christians and were "Freegans". Apparently this entails living in a van and eating out of bins and claiming that they contribute to society in other ways than paying tax (Praying lots, I suppose) while using some public services.