The Why Don't You Get a Job Thread

kendal mint cake

• Paid Members
Possibly a picture, to showcase your barnet?

Oh, I should mention... fuck the media biz. Not looking to get into anything media related at all.

Then why do a film degree? Or was it a case of "yeah that looks like a 3 year doss"? I never understand people who do degrees in subjects that they don't want to actually carry on with as a job.

Possibly bad experiences,and rejection?

Snide. Bu for your information, no rejection. Just a change in heart/circumstances.

Wasn't meant to be snide, actually. I know people that have tried to get into careers, and for various reasons, it hasn't worked out for them. Myself, for example - I thought my knowledge and my skills would keep me in the book industry, or even comic book production. Instead, I'm working on sudoku puzzles. Just gave up on the illustrated end of things a while back, because it was too demoralizing to be getting nowhere.

Oh yeah.

hot CV tip -

print that shit out before you send it. It looks different on screen and the person reading it at the other end will be looking at a printout. Last CV I did I must've printed about 6 times just to do minor final tweaks to line spacing and margins and font size type junk.

Oh, and as an addendum to this - PDF is your friend. Cuts through almost all of the format bullshit.

• Paid Members

I'm currently negotiating with someone for a new job, hopefully something will come of it, but knowing my luck it probably won't. Just looking for something so we can save up enough money to buy a house and get out of this hell-hole.

As for CVs, I get Mrs Small to do mine. I have absolutely no idea how I would put together one myself that wouldn't be utter shit. She somehow makes me seem even slightly employable.

Why does education have to be associated with career? I'm studying English Literature, simply because I'm interested in it and want to learn as much about it as possible.

But libraries and Google would allow you to do that very thing for fuck all, which is considerably cheaper than many thousands of pounds. Also, learning about it for three years (or maybe another year or two with a masters, PhD etc) then stopping and going working at Asda or generic office or whatever would not be "learning as much about it as possible" anyway. University degrees are only useful for one or more of the following three purposes:

1. Getting a job in a related field.*

2. Dossing for three years with the loan.

3. Bragging to people that you've got a degree because you think it's still the seventies where not every cunt's got one.

Also, on the subject of job applications, you can lie about a degree. I think Charlie Brooker recommended this. I'm sure it wouldn't work for anything decent, but for a generijob that just wants people who have a degree in anything, it's easy to just write it on your CV.

*Many of them are not useful for this.

Edited by King Pitcos

• Paid Members
Why does education have to be associated with career? I'm studying English Literature, simply because I'm interested in it and want to learn as much about it as possible.

But libraries and Google would allow you to do that very thing for fuck all, which is considerably cheaper than many thousands of pounds. Also, learning about it for three years (or maybe another year or two with a masters, PhD etc) then stopping and going working at Asda or generic office or whatever would not be "learning as much about it as possible" anyway. University degrees are only useful for one or more of the following three purposes:

1. Getting a job in a related field.*

2. Dossing for three years with the loan.

3. Bragging to people that you've got a degree because you think it's still the seventies where not every cunt's got one.

Also, on the subject of job applications, you can lie about a degree. I think Charlie Brooker recommended this. I'm sure it wouldn't work for anything decent, but for a generijob that just wants people who have a degree in anything, it's easy to just write it on your CV.

*Many of them are not useful for this.

My dad loves to lie about having a degree... from Cambridge. A fictitious event he never informed my mum about, resulting in her having no idea when it was brought up at a dinner party with his boss.

Perhaps out of desperation, I'm looking at careers offshore. I already have a job, but want more money. I'm in danger of being in a comfort zone too. I've looked at working offshore before and feel I'm good at grafting and feel it's rewarding. Now I'm looking at how to apply to be a roustabout, which is the entry level for working offshore. I know some people who work offshore already, so I'll have to take in what I can from them. I understand it's not an easy ride, but I'm certain I won't appreciate that fact until I'm doing it. My sister's fianc

It's not been mentioned yet, but one site ive found quite helpful is http://www.businessballs.com/.

Originally it was linked on here by someone else it a thread similar to this many moons ago. As a free resource, the stuff on interviews and CV's and so on are worth a read, especially if you have been out of 'the game' for a while or fancy brushing up on stuff.

I used it for the last promotion I got before going off with my back and held over some of the ideas from it this time around to help get back in the employment game after sometime out.

Recommended for a perusal, even if you dont decide to use any of it :thumbsup:

I always think about moving on and working in a new area but never have the balls to follow through with it. Had four decent job offers this year which would give me a lot more money for less hours but 3 involved moving and the other was a lot of travelling. I'll do it one day, but for the moment I guess I'll stay put.