The Why Don't You Get a Job Thread

kendal mint cake

• Awards Moderator

I've spent the last hour and a bit doing an application for a job I'm not particularly qualified for. It's an online application. I'd just about finished all but one of the supporting statements and accidentally clicked off the page. Nothing had saved.

I can take this as a sign I shouldn't bother applying, right? This morning was the only time I had to really focus on doing it and I probably won't have a chance to write everything out again - not that I can remember exactly what I'd written the first time.

EDIT: Additionally, an opportunity might potentially be coming up at work for me to take charge of another department. It'd be a lot more responsibility but would make my job a lot better in the long-run. So I'd kind of want to see where that might lead, if it leads anywhere...

Edited by HarmonicGenerator

• Paid Members

Just got promoted! There's redundancies happening across the business at the moment & as such my arsehole was twinging when I got summoned into an office downstairs. Turns out as part of the 'restructure' they want me to be the new Commercial Manager. Hard to internalise my excitement when others might be at risk & the rest of team will find out what lies in store for them on Friday but chuffed all the same.

Nice one, mate!  I know it's very hard not to but don't feel bad about a promotion when people are being laid off, you didn't make the decision to let them go, your work over the time there made the decision that they wanted to keep you.

• 1 month later...
  • Paid Members

Here's a first world problem for the UKFF hive mind to help me with.

So, you guys know the sales job I've been back and forth to other the last two years where I kept trying to quit but instead got pay rises and less days I had to work? Well, I quit in September to concentrate on my degree but they asked me to come back over March and April part time as they needed the staff.

Anyway today the boss had a meeting with me where he said over the next three months he'd like to transition me into a management role. It would still require making sales calls 2 or 3 days a week but by the end of the year my salary will start with a 4. Now let us be clear: I hate this job and I have an offer to go work at a PR firm and write for them but for significantly less than I'm earning even now. However I wouldn't wake up in the morning dreading my job. With the PR job I'd actually wake up most days looking forward to work and there are lots of opportunities for progression. I've also just done a three year journalism degree and been accepted to do a really prestigious digital journalism masters from September which I'd have to at least defer for a year if I say yes to the sales MD.

But can I - a 30 year old man hoping to start a family in the next few years - really justify turning down the opportunity to start making 40k this year and even more going forward?

I just do not know what to do.

• Paid Members

From my perspective, I'd say it's worth going for the writing job. It's what you want to do. Whilst it's not impossible, it becomes increasingly difficult the older you get to start the career you're hoping for, as the entry-level jobs tend more to go to graduates. 

You don't have a family yet, so you don't yet have the financial pressures a family will inevitably entail - you still have leeway to earn and save, or at the very least, take the financial hit to invest in your future. Best to start on your desired career path now, so that when you do get round to having a family, you won't feel pressured into taking a job you hate just to pay the bills. At 30 years old, you have enough time to build up a career in the next five years or so; if you're confident in your ability to do the job, this is more than enough time to get yourself up to a level where you'll be earning what's on offer from the sales job.

Take the hit for now, because it'll be worth it in the end.

• Paid Members

I agree completely with Carbomb.  You will eventually hit the wage you want with the job you want, it will just take time, and the time will be spent doing what you want to do.  You spend 8 hours plus a day at work, more than half your life, do something that makes you happy or you will quickly regret it.

• Paid Members

Well, it's a moot point now as the writing job decided I'd be "more suited to a journalism role than a PR role" and retracted their offer. I'll just go pull a journalism staff job out of the dying embers of the paid-for journalism industry, shall I?

I'm not going to accept my MD's offer either, though. I will just do my masters this year and work part time, either here or, ideally, somewhere I enjoy.

Edited by SpursRiot2012

So I managed to get fired from two jobs in the same day today. 

The company I work for is in Administration. So obviously I was looking for work.

Got offered and accepted a new role at another company. Start up. Really exciting sounding project. More money and I was chuffed. Contracts all signed no problem. 

Now I never gave notice to my current employer as I'm in charge of decommissioning and backing up the website. So I knew the exact date which the website is being switched off and I'd be made redundant. And the timelines worked out perfectly so I would get redundancy money from one job and seemlessly start the new one.

This morning. My new employer rings me and tells me that due to financial restructuring they were implementing a hiring freeze and withdrew the offer (as contracts have been signed they are in breach and have already agreed to pay my notice and benefits I would have accrued).

Stunned from this I returned to the office to be handed my one week notice letter from the administrators at my current job. I knew this was coming and that it was likely to be today but the timing was comical.

So that's how I got fired twice in the same day. 

Need a bit of advice about a job thing.

I’ve got an interview on Monday and should I get offered a position, they’ve intimated to me that they can only pay me £2k less than I’m currently earning.

I really want a change of scenery and the job seems like a good step career wise, but in the event I get it I really do not want to take such a big pay cut.

If they really like me and offer me a job do you think this would be negotiable (it sounds like it isn’t tbh)? Or I should try and wrangle something else out of them?

The in-house recruiter said they’d offer me a lot of work from home days each month plus private health insurance, which I don’t currently get (I get literally nothing in terms of remuneration except a salary at the moment), but is this good enough reason to accept their terms, or is there a way I can haggle with them?

Cheers for any advice 

Try and weigh up the pros and cons, @Otto Dem Wanz.  Would work from home days save you time and money on travel, for instance?  Private health care is a great thing to have, but it's something you hope you won't ever need.  I know it's a cliche but it's all about the work/life balance.  If you aren't happy where you are, chances are you take that home with you.

I'd certainly mention to them that the salary could be a stumbling block and see where it goes from there.  

• Awards Moderator

You should also try listentotaxman to see what £2k means in real terms each month as take home pay. Not saying I would want a £2k cut but it's not quite as much every month net. 

Would definitely go back to the offer and mention it though. They can only say no.