kendal mint cake

The Why Don't You Get a Job Thread

1,281 posts in this topic

21 hours ago, Monkee said:

This is bullshit. I wouldn't have applied for the job if the salary wasn't what I was after.

I had another interview today too where there was concern raised again about the salary. As much as I'm arguing my case that it's fine I can see the issue from the company perspective too. They don't want to go through this process if the candidate is going to leave in a month or two because of a better offer. But I think from now on I might not tell them anything about previous salaries or packages. If they're offering something that I want then I'll apply for the job regardless of what my previous circumstances were.

I've been applying for different jobs, because whilst my current job pays well I am regularly doing 60 hours a week. A few weeks back I did 3 14 hour days back to back with 6 hours of travelling and 8 hours of work every day, because the company couldn't find a cheap enough B&B/hotel nearby. I applied for a job that's a 9-5 and paid less per hour which is 10 minutes drive from mine and i got turned down because they thought I wouldn't stick it out because of the pay drop I would be taking.

I applied for the job because it was local and meant I wasn't finishing work on a Friday, falling asleep on my settee by 10 and waking up at 5am on a Saturday only to climb into bed and sleep for another 6 hours. I'm just fed up of regularly doing 12 hour days and having little to no time to myself.

And that's exactly what I've been saying too. This job I went for last week was in Luton - a similar travel time to Central London but whereas I'd spent £10 a day on transport there I can put £10 of petrol in my car and it would last me 3 weeks! Also, I'd work similar hours to you in my last job and I wanted something with less responsibility and quieter (as in not London) but it's just fallen on deaf ears. It sucks. As I said, I can see their concern but it's still not fair.

Been along to a recruitment day today for a new restaurant that's opening up soon and got myself a second interview for next week. After I lost a job a few years back, this could be me finally getting back into Full Time work, as everything that I've managed since has been Part Time. Other than Christmas, it's only been around 20hrs-30hours a week. Hopefully I get it and it'll take some pressure off of my wife paying more than her fair share of the bills and we can get back to normal and actually start saving

So that job I mentioned earlier where they asked for salary expectations, a friend works there and told me starting salaries are usually £20k, which is a higher salary than I've been paid elsewhere, so I put that down. They've just sent me an email saying they won't continue with my application because I've asked for more money than they're paying.

What on earth is the point in asking for salary expectations then? Is it simply to weed out those who ask for too much money? Because I'd be more than happy with what they've said the salary is.

Edited by Slapnut

Yes, I think that's exactly why they ask.

I got a call today about the interview I went for on Wednesday. Didn't get the job as they think I'm over-qualified. For fuck sake. 

Has anyone ever done any freelance work for Rev? I got a marketing e-mail from them. You sign up and do transcribing, captioning or translation for them. It's between 40-60c per minute of audio/video. Quite low paid but could be a easy work from home deal for extra cash.