The Why Don't You Get a Job Thread

kendal mint cake

I'm finally getting some responses to applications that don't start with "Unfortunately..." - I had a phone interview today for a job with Sega which (I think) went really well and I have an interview next week with the Commonwealth War Graves Commission. Fingers crossed for both!

Had my interview with GWGC last week and thought it went really well. Got the "Unfortunately..." email just now. Gutted. Being unemployed is so fucking demoralising.

So sorry to hear that, Monkee.  There aren't really any comforting words regarding the professional side of thing.  All I can say is that you're a wonderful person and I'm sure your warmth will shine through soon enough for the right position.  Anything I can do, hit me up on Twitter, even if it's just to rant!

• Paid Members

So sorry to hear that, Monkee. There aren't really any comforting words regarding the professional side of thing. All I can say is that you're a wonderful person and I'm sure your warmth will shine through soon enough for the right position. Anything I can do, hit me up on Twitter, even if it's just to rant!

Thanks Mr H. I really appreciate that. Really feel like getting shit-faced tonight but I'm going out tomorrow so want to save it.

• Paid Members

Responding with a heavy heart as I read about my fellow F'ers struggles.  How someone like Monkee is struggling to land a job blows my mind frankly, but does nothing but further underline my anxieties when I discovered my pending redundancy. 

The job market right now is a fucking shark pit.  Applying for a team manager role, there'll be out of work heads of service applying. Head of service? Director.  So I was genuinely terrified at the prospect of job hunting after a difficult and fruitless 18mths in my current position, and no interview experience since 2008.

However, and I only post this as a thank you to those who responded with advice and well wishes, I'm delighted to confirm that I interviewed for a position last Tuesday, was called back in on Thursday which I assumed would be along with a couple of others as a bit of a 'second opinion' visit.  Became clear that wasn't the case when I was asked 'How long do we have you for today?' at which point I dared to dream for the very first time.  Got a call back a few hours later and was offered the position.

So it's shit folks, and I wouldn't for a second attempt to downplay or sugar coat the situation, especially in light of the struggles I know some very employable people are facing (Mrs Matrix no less)  but trust me, value your worth and believe in what you've achieved and the rest will inevitably take care of itself.  It has to. I

t's only after this company took a leap of faith in me that I sit back and think, you know what...I do know what I'm on about after all.  When you're confidence is on it's arse as mine has been for the past 18mths, that's not easy to do, but if I could give anyone any advice, it'd be to try and take emotion out of it.  Don't fret or focus on environmental factors, just focus on your achievements, know what you've done, why its relevant and don't allow those past set-backs to define you.  That's a companies short sightedness or poor decision making, it doesn't make you any less capable, qualified, or good at what you do. 

I allowed myself to believe that was the case, but it never was.  If you can adapt that mindset going in, you'll be in good shape.

I said this a while ago in here but the key is practise and putting yourself over, knowing exactly what your going to say, elaborating if need be and speaking about your experience/accomplishments. I don't think its bad to have too many interviews as they are all perfect to practise in, I went through a point out of a job last year and had some amazing interviews and some terrible ones, partly as I wasn't prepared, sometimes it was a case of me being focused/not focused and even getting on with the person can help or not help. 

But the more I did the more I nailed everything I wanted to say, to be honest though its also partly down to pot luck whether your selected from the hundreds/thousands unless the criteria for the job is very unique. I did find it amusing though that some places would give me managerial interviews yet in the same industry I wasn't deemed good enough even for jobs on a lower grade (e.g. team leader/team member). 

Things will eventually fall into place for those looking, if not try looking at temp work for a few months, Its a good challenge and I throughly enjoyed doing that for a few months inbetween jobs and they still want me back on a permanent basis so always that plan B. 

• 2 weeks later...

Is anyone any good in regards to employment laws etc.?

I have a meeting at work on Friday surrounding my absence - the reason I have been absent is that I intended to send a letter of resignation this week but just haven't done it yet. I know the outcome of that meeting will be my dismissal as I know how the company works. My notice period is one month, and I have no intention to go back (I have no interest in seeing the place again) - where do I stand here? If I resign, can't they just sack me on Friday still anyway as I'm still "working" (although not in) my notice period? I'd rather have the resignation in my history than the dismissal.

What's my best option? I'll also be up front and honest and say the reason I haven't sent my resignation is I get paid on Tuesday and I still have my work laptop. I'll be returning this but they have right to stop my final pay if it's not returned and I'm busy with job interviews this week although I will be returning next week but don't want my final pay stopped.

Edited by FUM

It depends.  Sometimes a firm has it in place that they won't accept resignation letters whilst a disciplinary is pending.  However this is usually reserved for gross misconduct.  You could resign and say the stress is too much for you with a disciplinary hanging over your head.

A lot of times when it's a disgruntled employee, they'll just let you fuck off as they know you won't do anything during your notice and could even be disruptive.

Had an interview on Monday for a temporary lecturer job within a college for supply hours only, so basically as and when needed.  Got a call today to say I'd been recommended for appointment but it'll be regular hours!  It's only like 3 hours per week but it's a massive foot in the door and I can fit it around my current job plus my training courses that I'm selling.  Massive boost for me tbh and it's within further education which is where I want to be moving to career wise.

They have called it a "Formal Absence Review Meeting" rather than any sort of disciplinary terms used if that helps me.

To be honest they probably want you gone so you resigning on your own terms probably helps them. Hopefully your next job works out for you. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

I'm so very pleased. I sent a few speculative emails out to various local papers in my area and today got a reply from the Camden New Journal offering me a two week placement! My boss at my business development job has agreed to let me have the time off. Awesome. All I need to do now is be so impressive at the placement that they offer me a full time role as a junior reporter or some shit.

It's really handy because I'm planning now to do an Investigative Journalism MA after I've completed my BA and having some actual, real life journalistic experience will really aid me in getting onto it and doing well at it.

Everything is coming up SpursRiot.

Edited by SpursRiot2012

Having decided that it's time for a new job, I've applied for a few over the past few weeks and found out this morning that I've got my first external interview in over 10 years. I don't really want the job (it's a two hour commute each way, and over £800 a month on train fares until I pass my driving test), so I'm going in with the mindset that it's just practice and I don't care if it's offered me. That said, I'm keen not to look an utter gimp - so: any tips for someone who's not been interviewed for a very long time?