The Why Don't You Get a Job Thread

kendal mint cake

• Paid Members

Final update on mine, hopefully: they've agreed to pay me half my fee for what I did yesterday. I've decided to settle at that just to get it over with. And because I wanted to get one over one them, I signed of the phone call with "I wish you the best in your future endeavours". Was quite pleased with myself there.

Final update on mine, hopefully: they've agreed to pay me half my fee for what I did yesterday. I've decided to settle at that just to get it over with. And because I wanted to get one over one them, I signed of the phone call with "I wish you the best in your future endeavours". Was quite pleased with myself there.

They probably just didn't like you. Don't mean that in a bad way, but if you get the push that quickly it's probably not to do with your work.

There's also no point in being rude to a potential employer, ever. You never know when they'll need something written at incredibly short notice, and think "hmm, who can we call right now who wasn't bad, but wasn't a twat to us?"

• Paid Members

Agreed. I wasn't rude. I said it quite politely, for my own amusement, and they were none the wiser. In fact, I was a great deal more polite than they'd been on the phone yesterday.

And they explicitly stated that the work was the problem. It matched with their constant inability to tell me what they actually wanted from me. All they'd do was give me buzzwords like "creativity" and "new angles", and seemed to think I'd be able to fix all the writing on their website just from that. I absolutely see your point, but that's definitely not what it was. I got along with everyone there really well the few times I'd been in, and their tone only changed when they'd looked at the writing I'd done.

• Paid Members

Just to update, I have abandoned accepting a really crap job doing something I don't want to do for shit money, and decided to take the necessary steps to sort out my life and get the career I'd actually like. To that end, I've enrolled in a Teaching English as a Foreign Language course 22nd-24th October, with a view to being qualified, sourcing a job and flat and moving to Tokyo in March ahead of the start of their school year in April. There's nothing for me here any more.

What's web design like these days? It's getting to the point where I'm going to have to get some extra education in, and I'll be fucked if I know what's a good direction to go in.

It sounds like a good racket to get into. My mate who does web design has just moved jobs and concedes his new salary "starts with a 5". He's not even 25.

• Paid Members

I'm going to start learning German, Spanish and French as I've seen a lot of translation work in adult that I like the look of but can't take because I'm your typical monoglot Englishman. Pays a lot better than the stuff I do now, as well.

• Paid Members

My Council is advertising for a lollypop man. 12 to 13K a year for ten hours a week with school holidays off.

Am I missing something? It's a wee bit of a hike for me, in a shitty area and would fuck up my college course a bit but, still, it's a liveable wage for doing practically fuck all. Seems mental given that Council is cutting back on pretty much everything else.

My Council is advertising for a lollypop man. 12 to 13K a year for ten hours a week with school holidays off.

Am I missing something? It's a wee bit of a hike for me, in a shitty area and would fuck up my college course a bit but, still, it's a liveable wage for doing practically fuck all. Seems mental given that Council is cutting back on pretty much everything else.

You could probably up that money without having to do the job by getting a female to sue them for sexual discrimination.

Just to update, I have abandoned accepting a really crap job doing something I don't want to do for shit money, and decided to take the necessary steps to sort out my life and get the career I'd actually like. To that end, I've enrolled in a Teaching English as a Foreign Language course 22nd-24th October, with a view to being qualified, sourcing a job and flat and moving to Tokyo in March ahead of the start of their school year in April.

Can't you just go on The Chase again instead?

Looks like I could be up for the chop next week. I work in retail and have management duties as a supervisor and as part of these duties I cash up, lock up etc. Last Saturday whilst cashing up the girl who co checked the bricks of money deposited one inside the inner safe and left the other on the side. Assuming she'd deposited them both I have signed the cash sheet to say its been deposited and carried on the close down. Somehow the cash brick was put under some paper and it wasn't found until the next day fully intact inside the locked cash office. This is deemed as gross misconduct on my part as I have signed to say it was deposited when the bint(whose duty was to count and deposit said money) only deposited the one.

This is a sackable offence however there are numerous examples of cash office policy being breeched where no or little punishment has been served out and would seem a little unfair if they were to get rid. Is there anybody around here who has any good advice/tips for this kind of situation,is there any case for proving that it was an honest mistake or is there no grey area when it comes to gross misconduct? Either way I hate my job and will leave as soon as something better comes up but it would be nice to leave on my terms.

Just as a continuation of this, after getting the sack for the above I had my appeal hearing today. I gave them 3 instances where my senior supervisor, store manager and area manager had broken the cash office policy during my investigation alone. Doing this whilst reciting the exact policy 2.4.1.3 etc and trying to sound like a big shot lawyer was fun and all but it wasn't appreciated by the investigating area manager and HR manager who now have to open up 3 investigations and escalate the offences to the regional manager.

I also raised other mitigation that they are going to take back and look at in more detail which probably means they will see if I have a strong enough case for tribunal before deciding to give me my job back or not. At this moment i'm hoping that I can be reinstated then negotiate my resignation however if they simply reinstate me I fully plan on accepting reinstatement which should allow me to gain back pay then resign as I have already been offered another job. I know its not exactly Mr Smith Goes to Washington but the thought of my exit costing the company so much money is indeed some small consolation for losing my job.