The Why Don't You Get a Job Thread

kendal mint cake

6 hours ago, Grecian said:

My place of work is currently undergoing a huge restructure in the hopes of saving some cash. We've been told for months that my team is crucial, nothing to worry about, we're already understaffed, yada yada yada.

Got called into a meeting with HR this morning, to be told that the four people of my grade on my team must become three and we're being asked to submit expressions of interest to stay. I've been here 11 years and they've dangled the prospect of an enhanced package for voluntary redundancy if anyone chooses not to apply. This is muddied slightly by the fact my house purchase should be going through next week and the pay-off would pay for some work we need to do to the house. I'd be looking at around £12000, from what I can figure out. However, I am overpaid for what I do and I'm unlikely to find another job straight away that pays what I'm currently on.

Stay and apply for my job, or take the money and walk?

Opinions appreciated!

I think its worth remembering that £12k is most likely their low ball opening offer in the hope that someone takes the money and run, you could probably negotiate nearer to £18k if you were comfortable with taking the offer and/or found another line of work that doesn't financially hurt you. Of course aim as high as you can and see what they come back with, depending of course what the others plan on doing. 

Edited by Briefcase

1 hour ago, Briefcase said:

I think its worth remembering that £12k is most likely their low ball opening offer in the hope that someone takes the money and run, you could probably negotiate nearer to £18k if you were comfortable with taking the offer and/or found another line of work that doesn't financially hurt you. Of course aim as high as you can and see what they come back with, depending of course what the others plan on doing. 

I'm in the public sector, so everyone gets their offer made on the same terms, the only negotiation is the leaving date. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Currently at a PGCE English interview and it's either going so badly I've kid myself it can't get worse or its going well and I'm having a brain fail about it thinking it's going bad. 

More since: interview part went well presentation less so when I found out I'd left a ton of it on a train or a bus and I'm not sure which. 5.30am starts and myself do not cooperate 

Edited by Shy Dad

• Paid Members

I've accepted a new job as Education Programme Manager for a very well regarded charitable foundation. Basically get to design, run and promote ways to make the UK education system fairer, especially around STEM subjects, conducting research through to thinking up tangible projects, plus I still get to do government relations and public affairs alongside. 

It's a big step for me in pretty much every way. It's central London daily for the first time so me and the other half are moving to Reading in a few months (neither of us want to actually live in London still!), I have so much scope to mould this work programme how I wish to and I love the fact that one of their company values is essentially we don't give a shit if you get some stuff wrong, aim big with projects. Financially, it's a pretty life changing move for me and puts buying a house with the GF within reach soon. Plus, I have actual budget now and am not going cap in hand like Oliver Twist to scrounge 200 quid for workshop catering or getting some reports printed. 

Best of all, it's an incredibly worthwhile subject to be working on and something close to my heart. I'm beyond delighted. Monday night after I got the news was the first time in my life I've had to pinch myself to make sure it's real. Extremely excited to get to work. 

• Paid Members

It's the knock back effect, I feel absolutely dreadful about it because I planned so hard for all of it for one problem to really mess it up. Just having to rebuild my confidence at the moment which is already at an all time low from other factors. 

On 5/15/2019 at 11:01 PM, Ralphy said:

anyone got any general advice please in regards my appeal against my dismissal next week? its on capability grounds, failed my probation, my MH issues caused me to fuck it up 

I'm an HR Director, so I wish I'd seen this a month ago. I'm sorry. An employer is legally required to make reasonable adjustments fo disabilities, but they are not required to accept poor performance due to a disability. if your condition is covered by the disability discrimination act and you informed your employer of the condition, they are required to make reasonable adjustments to help you perform. If you didn't inform them, or you did and their adjustments still meant you couldn't perform at the required level, then they are in the right.

If your condition is not covered by the disability discrimination act then you have no protections. If it is, you could pursue a disability discrimination claim. In my career if fought numerous such claims (and won) from dismissed underperformers because the business was unaware of the disability during employment. Usually there is no disability and the claim is false and falls away, so I expect your employer was cynical of your grounds for appeal - but if you had written evidence that you raised the issue of a disability with you employer whilst in employment, and they didn't make reasonable adjustments, then you have reasonable grounds.

Of course, would you want to put yourself through the pressure of a tribunal claim and all that entails? That is anothwe matter.

On 5/15/2019 at 8:12 PM, Hannibal Scorch said:

Apply for the job. Worst that can happen is they make you redundant and you get the package. If more then 1 of you goes to take redundancy they could let you both walk. £12k won't keep you a float for long (hypertheticly, I mean I have no idea of your financial situation). My best mate got £30k to leave his job at a bookies (he was in head office) and he thought he was made and he would get a job easily. It took almost 9 months, a wage cut and by the time he started he was almost out of cash.

12k is a really poor package - particularly if that includes notice. But it sounds like a legitimate redundancy and they are going down the statutory route. I wouldn't jump at that. Perhaps if you can let me know what the enhancement is, I can advise better.

7 minutes ago, Ralphy said:

My appeal was unsuccessful like i predicted, got to sign on tomorrow, ugh :(:(

I wantto use and expand upon my IT skills. they are fairly good, good enough to do a job using IT, but ive never really had any working experience with using computers, only as a hobby with heavy use, i would like to volunteer somewhere to use my skills and hope to get a reference and job that way 

not in a good place right now it has to be said

You should have a look at temp IT jobs to begin with, firstly some may not require qualifications as such, secondly its temp so if it doesn't work out its not on a long term basis & thirdly if you impress and something permiment comes up they are more likely to take you on. I did IT System Support a few years ago and throughly enjoyed it but without any qualifications in that field and they wanted to take me on full time, I only turned down the offer as I accepted another job whilst nothing was concrete (was only a temp job for 2-3 months) but I supporting branches with IT issues, logging calls/issues, building computers, setting up tablets & burning CCTV to discs (things like potential theft, accidents, robberies etc). Quite simple things anyone with basic knowledge can do and would have progressed onto more advanced things had I stayed. I really enjoyed it and it was Monday-Friday, in a relaxed office almost going at my own pace. Money was quite decent for what it was too.

Edited by Briefcase