The Why Don't You Get a Job Thread

kendal mint cake

• Paid Members

I'm after a bit of advice. A colleague of mind has been given some new responsibilities and asked to learn some new skills. That isn't unusual in my department; it's made up of a lot of different areas called "modules" and people are moved onto new things every 6 -12 months. My colleague has been on the same module for 3 years and was very happy to keep it like that before she was asked to take on this new module. Since she's been learning new stuff her anxiety levels have hit the roof, and I can visibly see her struggling. I've advised her to talk to her manager to see if they will let her stay on the same workflow, but she is so paralysed with the stress that she doesn't see this as a realistic option. My question is, do you think it's OK to go over her head and tell management about her issues, or is this a breach of trust? 

I know your intentions are well placed, but that could be a breach of trust for her. Have you asked her if she’d like you to speak to the manager on her behalf or Maybe you can ask her if she’d like you to accompany her to a meeting with her manager? 

22 hours ago, FelatioLips said:

I went into work today and got let go for budget issues. As of Wednesday I will be unemployed. Where do I go from here? 

I haven't signed on for about 12 years and have no idea how to go about it any more, or what options are available to me. A little help would be lovely please!

Sorry to hear the bad news. I don't know what line of work you do but might be worth looking at either temp jobs or agency work until you find the right job. Keeps the money coming in and also good experience depending on what you want to do, if its in the same field or something you have an interest in then sometimes temp work can become permanent. 

• Paid Members
21 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

I know your intentions are well placed, but that could be a breach of trust for her. Have you asked her if she’d like you to speak to the manager on her behalf or Maybe you can ask her if she’d like you to accompany her to a meeting with her manager? 

Good shout. I will ask. 

• Paid Members

Has anyone had any issues with a Co worker bullying them out of a job? 

For the second time in three months now the guy i share my current job role with has waited until after 11pm on my night off to critisize my work and mental health as well as making sly remarks when I've seen him knowing that at that time I'm either sleeping or out with friends, knowing I've mental health issues and yet continuing even after I've asked him to leave it to the point I've reacted and exploded back at him, despite previously being told by the duty manager that if he has an issue to pass it through him. 

Ended up with me resigning late last night as the job (on top of the hotel being broken into last week, consistently unsafe working of moving equipment due to the way the builders are leaving my store room and other matters) just isn't worth my mental health going even further down the drain but do I have a leg to stand on with regards to why I've left/is the company at fault in any way? 

Sorry if that's all a jumble, I'm tired and understandably stressed. 

• Moderators

Sorry to say as it's not going to help with your stress right now but you can't keep leaving jobs like this; it's going to make you unemployable.

It doesn't sound from what you've said like you've escalated this properly at work and given them the opportunity to resolve, as such I don't think you're in a position to blame them.

Edited by Chest Rockwell

If I were you I'd be getting in touch with work as quickly as you can today, explain the situation, tell them you reacted last night out of frustration and anger from how you're being treated by your workmate.

There's a chance they may accept that and overlook your resignation, but you need to be smarter than you've been. Not always want you want to hear when you're fired up and angry, but there's every chance the guy who's bullying you wanted you to go down this road so you'd be out the job and he'd be rid of you.

• Paid Members

Done as both have said. Clearly explained in an email exactly what happened, how he's been acting towards me, what was said etc managed to remain calm throughout and point out where I was at fault as well just so everything is transparent as it can be. 

It's likely that the scenario I'm facing is either work my resignation notice period and then find some summer work (just means grabbing some bar work over the summer) and leaving the job just shy of a year (which is a shame as I had hoped to stay in the role until the end of July before taking a holiday/starting Uni/starting something more equipped to my degree) or staying in the role but making sure he has absolutely no contact with me. He's not a superior staff member so I don't have to answer to him, we only ever have to work together on busy turnarounds and we have a third guy who could help with that. 

It's not a good situation really. I've known of the guy and somewhat known him for a few years before taking the job and he always seemed alright if a bit aloof but the last few weeks have just been getting worse and worse for someone I hardly ever see. 

I see you mention bar work. If this job you're in isn't a career as such and is just something you're doing until Uni starts then maybe the option of bar work is something worth looking at? If you don't mind that kind of work, or maybe even prefer it?

Personally, unless I was in a job I really loved, or it was part of a career I was looking to build I wouldn't put up with unnecessary bullshit. Not saying you should just walk out, but maybe think about something different to tide you over until the summer if that's all you're looking for?

Unless it's absolutely necessary, Shy Dad, I wouldn't, if I were in your shoes, mention any mental issues to a potential employer or colleagues unless I knew, later, I could consider them as a close friend who I could trust. Most people will just think "nutjob" because most people are idiots. Unfortunately, it might be 2019, but unless you happen to be in a woke field of work like left winged journalism, the majority of clock-punchers will still see aberrant mental health as an indulgence rather than something you can't help, like, say, a nut allergy. 

• Paid Members

As mentioned I've known of the guy for years, runs in the same circles so it's a case of him knowing about me and knowing about my "issues" sadly. Also tried to pull the "I have mental health stuff, I just got over it, you should too" line on me. 

Managers emailed back, seems super understanding and is dealing with it. 

• Paid Members
26 minutes ago, Shy Dad said:

As mentioned I've known of the guy for years, runs in the same circles so it's a case of him knowing about me and knowing about my "issues" sadly. Also tried to pull the "I have mental health stuff, I just got over it, you should too" line on me. 

Managers emailed back, seems super understanding and is dealing with it. 

That's good to hear, Shy Dad. Hope this works out better for you.

That guy sounds like a total cock. I'm pretty sure anyone who's had serious mental health issues would know better than to use that line.

Maybe one for the future or just some general advice, but if ever you feel that you are being bullied and harassed, start a diary.  Log incidents with dates and times, and witnesses if possible.  It will help massively with HR.