WWE Raw going 3 hours

TildeGuy~!

• Paid Members

1) They already have Smackdown, so why would they make Raw half a Smackdown show?! That would mean the flag ship show would be shortened and the B show would almost double in length.2) Raw is now called Raw Supershow because it has both Raw and SD wrestlers on it, and Raw guys turn up on SD all the time. Why would they split it up?

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm going to be the minority optimist here and say that any more time devoted to the mid-card can only be a good thing. This could give the Tag division and all the Superstars regulars to get more time on Raw and get more room to breathe in matches.It won't though. It'll be recaps, Khali and longer Orton promos.

1) They already have Smackdown, so why would they make Raw half a Smackdown show?! That would mean the flag ship show would be shortened and the B show would almost double in length.2) Raw is now called Raw Supershow because it has both Raw and SD wrestlers on it, and Raw guys turn up on SD all the time. Why would they split it up?

In fairness to JPC, he's clearly a fucking idiot and had no logic at all behind his "HALF AND HALF IS THE ONLY WAY IT WILL WORK" notion. It's just something that farted out of his brain for no reason.

Although I think most of the negative comments are actually spot on for the 3rd hour of RAW especially if its not a WWE creative decision but a USA Network Choice, Some things they could do which would stretch the program in a positive way I think are- Longer and extra Diva matches so many times i've heard them go on interviews and say "you dont get to see what we can really do on tv due to time" that its time to put up or shut up have a couple of single matches instead of a multiman etc.- in depth interviews - I really like them (apart from when there replayed 100 times like TNA has done) spare 10 mins a week to an interview with a superstar regarding there career, goals, background etc which could add depth in the days of normal names and blander gimmicks - Longer matches in moderation - I know this sounds like an obvious one, and there is the argument that goes against the whole 3 hour concept that PPVs are less worthwhile, but give some of the younger midcard talent that doesnt get on PPVs so much Swagger etc 15-20 min bouts. See if they can go on TV. This may not work with modern attention spans but certainly worth a try

- Longer matches in moderation - I know this sounds like an obvious one, and there is the argument that goes against the whole 3 hour concept that PPVs are less worthwhile, but give some of the younger midcard talent that doesnt get on PPVs so much Swagger etc 15-20 min bouts. See if they can go on TV. This may not work with modern attention spans but certainly worth a try

But the main problem with the midcarders is that that's all they do already, and nobody gives two fucks. They'd be better off spending 5 minutes doing something to make people care about a Swagger & Ziggler vs Usos match next week than 20 minutes doing that match this week with no build up. The midcard blanders are already given way too much MATCH TIME~ and nowhere near enough character building time. Young and Titus on Smackdown have done wonders with the few little one-minute-or-less segments they've had over the last month. More of that, please.

- Longer matches in moderation - I know this sounds like an obvious one, and there is the argument that goes against the whole 3 hour concept that PPVs are less worthwhile, but give some of the younger midcard talent that doesnt get on PPVs so much Swagger etc 15-20 min bouts. See if they can go on TV. This may not work with modern attention spans but certainly worth a try

But the main problem with the midcarders is that that's all they do already, and nobody gives two fucks. They'd be better off spending 5 minutes doing something to make people care about a Swagger & Ziggler vs Usos match next week than 20 minutes doing that match this week with no build up. The midcard blanders are already given way too much MATCH TIME~ and nowhere near enough character building time. Young and Titus on Smackdown have done wonders with the few little one-minute-or-less segments they've had over the last month. More of that, please.
100% agree, thinking about it the last thing I want is more Zigger Kofi in 1000 matches with no storyline. I think the 20 min match time thing comes from recent blasts of WCW nitro.

While I agree that sometimes it is a bit difficult watching Raw or Smackdown right the way through just they now have plenty of time to build up for ppvs. There is no excuse for only knowing 3 matches for a ppv on the Smackdown before. As other posters have said there is also room now for a better midcard and in particular a tag division.

• Paid Members

Apart from the 1 million who have switched off in the last 18 months and the hundreds of thousands turning off segments on Raw, obviously. Fans are only loyal to something they will enjoy.Its a insane move I think. I'm surprised they didn't fight it. WWE don't want to do it. USA wanted them to go to 3 hours in 2010 and they fought the idea. Now is the absolute worst time to do it. In 2010 at least they were drawing 3.8/3.9's. Some segments on Raw last week were 2.4s. The wrestling audience seems burnt out and bored at the minute. It's not going to kill WWE or anything, but like WCW, if its a failure and they go back to 2 hours, a lot of damage could be done when that happens.

• Paid Members

That last point is quite key, actually. 3 hours is something they've gotta throw themselves into full-throttle or it'll fail, and when they inevitably have to go back to 2 hours, it's gonna look like a huge step backwards.

Archived