Butch And D-Mal's James Bond Learning Tree Thread

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members

I like Spectre less and less each time I watch it. The third act is a waste of time, I think Christoph Waltz isn't very good in it and so little of it has made a lasting impression in my memory; particularly after Skyfall, which I genuinely enjoyed. 

I'm excited for Christmas where me and a couple of my best mates can enjoy our annual Roger Moore bond and Indian takeaway night. 8 bottles of Singha and Big Rog leaping over alligators is some of the best fun you can have of an evening. 

That list is hideous. 

Edited by Gus Mears

Spectre felt like someone making a Bond tribute.  The lovely Lea had fuck all to do but, as I revealed to Devon, my screenplay for the Bond 25 consists of Miranda Frost still being alive and her lezzing it up with Madeline Swann for 2 hours.  TayTay does the theme song.  Still better than Spectre and Skyfall.  And QoS.

I disagree with a lot of that list, but the top 5 are basically the best Bonds.  From Russia with Love is my favourite for sure - the amazing scenes in Istanbul, gypsy women fighting over who shags Bond, and that fight with Robert Shaw.

I also am not a fan of Spectre but then honestly, I wasn't a real fan of Skyfall either.  All this giving a backstory to Bond doesn't feel right.  He's a cypher, a charming shell over a ruthless killer.  He has no history.  When I was a kid, I kind of thought that each new Bond was basically a different person with the same 007 designation, that the 'James Bond' moniker was part of the cover.  That seems more cool than him growing up in the Alps or Scotland or whatever else they've been shoe-horning in.

That's one of the reasons Moore's Bond worked - despite the campness and charm, he was totally happy to fuck over anyone (including the ladies throwing themselves at him) to get the job done.

• Paid Members
52 minutes ago, Loki said:

I disagree with a lot of that list, but the top 5 are basically the best Bonds.  From Russia with Love is my favourite for sure - the amazing scenes in Istanbul, gypsy women fighting over who shags Bond, and that fight with Robert Shaw.

I also am not a fan of Spectre but then honestly, I wasn't a real fan of Skyfall either.  All this giving a backstory to Bond doesn't feel right.  He's a cypher, a charming shell over a ruthless killer.  He has no history.  When I was a kid, I kind of thought that each new Bond was basically a different person with the same 007 designation, that the 'James Bond' moniker was part of the cover.  That seems more cool than him growing up in the Alps or Scotland or whatever else they've been shoe-horning in.

That's one of the reasons Moore's Bond worked - despite the campness and charm, he was totally happy to fuck over anyone (including the ladies throwing themselves at him) to get the job done.

You redeemed yourself somewhat after that ridiculous opening sentence.

Yeah, the main problems with the Craig Bonds is that they're all about him. That was interesting to a certain degree but it's run its course very quickly. We hardly knew anything about Bond's background until Craig took over, he was always a man of mystery, but now everything revolves around him, which suggests to me that the writers are really short of ideas as to what to do with him in the modern climate. All the big world issues tend to get covered by other series before Bond comes along and hoovers up the scraps.

Bond is going to struggle in the post #metoo era, as the international lothario role doesn't really fit with modern times.  I wonder if they might tighten the action down to a specific country/city and try and get a bit more of the espionage feel going.

Go on then Gladders - what's your top five?