Butch And D-Mal's James Bond Learning Tree Thread

Devon Malcolm

On 2012-5-17 at 7:05 PM, ozzfan said:

Live and Let Die is the best Bond. Anyone who disagrees seems to forget that this fine film had blaxploitation elements, sharks, crocodiles, Sheriff J.W. Pepper, voodoo and Yaphet motherfuckin' Kotto.

On 2012-5-17 at 7:06 PM, PowerButchi said:

And Roger Moore in a safari suit.

On 2012-5-17 at 7:07 PM, ozzfan said:

And speedboats!edit: And a pimpmobile!

and

latest?cb=20131128073921

• Paid Members

Not forgetting that it also involves Roger Moore running across the back of some crocodiles, and Baron Samedi either surviving being thrown in a coffin of snakes, or coming back from the dead - I hope it's the latter, because that suggests that the entire James Bond oeuvre exists in a world in which Voodoo mythology is true, which certainly colours the rest of the franchise.

• 1 month later...
  • Paid Members

The local independent cinema is showing Spy Who Loved Me in a week or so, got a couple of tickets for me and a friend. I am going to well up like a baby when that theme music hits now Saint Roger has passed away.

'Nobody does it better'.

• Paid Members

aka The Best Bond.

The Spy Who Loved Me has been perhaps the one older Bond film that has gained critical praise significantly over the last decade. I think people have realised just what a great film it is. Not just in the Bond canon but in general. I also wish Marvin Hamlisch had done more Bond scores, it's just absolutely perfect.

• Moderators

Quite right. Also people who lazily and idiotically call Lazenby shit, and like Daniel Craig. Speaking of Daniel Craig...

His brother used to run a bar in Wrexham. Harry his name. He's... difficult. He got sacked in the end.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2587400/Ones-Hollywood-star-raking-millions-James-Bond-model-making-15-hour-meet-Daniel-Craigs-brother.html

• Paid Members

Daniel Craig has too much power over the Bond series. Don't get me wrong, I think he's a superb actor and I have largely enjoyed all of his films in the series. But they're not really Bond films, are they? They're just attempts to jump on the gritty Jason Bourne spy bandwagon. They have no sense of humour and have forgotten that these films have always been a good laugh, always filled with humour, and never been afraid to look daft when the moment requires. Him producing doesn't help - you'd never see him dive into a fake crocodile or dress up like a clown when it's necessary.

• Paid Members

I think you need to strike the right balance to be 'proper Bond'. Daniel Craig's Bond is definitely super-serious and as you rightly put it a Bourne competitor, that said I still really enjoy them.

Connery definitely gets the mix right in my vote. Charm, suave, sophistication, wit, action- he had enough of everything. Re-watched Goldfinger again the other day and it's so bloody good.

I know the thread creators here opt for another Bond, but come on. For me he oversteps the silliness line too much to be the best Bond. I'll sum up the late great in one gif:

MoonRaker1.gif

• Paid Members

People go on about the bit with the pigeon like Sean Connery wasn't a pretend Japanese, George Lazenby didn't break the fourth wall, Timothy Dalton wasn't in one where a bloke was smuggled in the Trans-Siberian Pipeline and Pierce Brosnan wasn't in an invisible car.

• Paid Members

See, that's wrong as well, me and Butch are just wasting our time here, clearly.

Moonraker is great fun. I've probably watched it more than any other Bond film. I loved it when I was a kid and I still do.

Edited by Devon Malcolm