Sign in to follow this  
Devon Malcolm

Butch And D-Mal's James Bond Learning Tree Thread

Garbage - The World is Not Enough is probably my favourite Bond song ever as even though the movie is absolutely desperate, it's a wonderful, wonderful song that is instantly recognisable and relatable to Bond.

Also, Mr.Bungles' Thunderball interpretation.

Also, I love Shirley Manson's voice. It always sounds like she's really enjoying having a shite.

Edited by Scott Malbranque

Right, let me just qualify my dislike of Moonraker for Devon ... when I saw the movie in the cinema during my formative years, I hadn't figured the theme link to the movie.  I was too young.  While the singer is an undoubted legend, it's the performer that makes the song not the song making the performer.  It's weak lyrically, IMO.  Very of it's time though, in fairness.

Yes, I am that fucking old.

10 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

I've said it before and I'll say it again - Suzanne & I by Anna Calvi is the best Bond song not done for a Bond film of all time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qIDj0SVWeBU

Oooh, now this is a good discussion topic. I vote for Play Dead by Bjork! Which incidentally, no doubt led to David Arnold getting the scoring gig for the Bond films thereafter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CHiHZ35TPfM

I've heard a tune by a chap called Nathan James (a 10-minute epic) called Nothing Can Stop Me, which has never been released to the public, but THAT would make an immense Bond theme.  Pity I can't link it here without getting into some serious trouble ... you'll have to take my word for it.

53 minutes ago, PunkStep said:

Oooh, now this is a good discussion topic. I vote for Play Dead by Bjork! Which incidentally, no doubt led to David Arnold getting the scoring gig for the Bond films thereafter.

Excellent song.  She did a version of "You Only Live Twice" for Arnold's Shaken and Stirred album which didn't make the CD in the end but is on YouTube and available as a (free, iirc) download.

Eurovision winning "Rise Like a Phoenix" is a Bond theme, it just needs the film to go with it.

I'm genuinely shocked that people can think Writing's On The Wall and Skyfall are worse than Madonna circa 2002 and Jack fucking White.

How appropriate that this thread should resurface on the day Chris Cornell died also. :(

8 minutes ago, Daaaaaad! said:

I'm genuinely shocked that people can think Writing's On The Wall and Skyfall are worse than Madonna circa 2002 and Jack fucking White.

They would have rounded out a Top 5 Worse Bond Themes list for me.

39 minutes ago, Daaaaaad! said:

How appropriate that this thread should resurface on the day Chris Cornell died also. :(

That's why it was.  Honcho reckoned (wrongly) that his was one of the best Bond themes.

18 minutes ago, Daaaaaad! said:

Fair enough, I've mugged myself off there if I'm honest.

If you hadn't been in the Clog Popping thread, you'd have not known.

Live and Let Die or View to a Kill are the best ones for me. I'm not a big Bond fan at all, but the themes are somewhat decent. I'm also in the "You Know My Name is one of the better ones" bracket too, to the surprise of nobody.

Edited by FelatioLips