Butch And D-Mal's James Bond Learning Tree Thread

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members

I felt ...At your convenience let itself down in the way it handled Trade Unions though. Making them look silly and even having the leader being shit scared of him mum. Whereas the On The Buses film had Jack Harper as all powerful shop steward, banging all the hot chicks.

In the Carry On world though, it totally works, as they were never going to make a gritty Ken Loach take. Funneling all that through toilets and Kenneth Cope's cucked-by-his-mum "Everybody out!" makes for this weird mix of regular Carry On, where Kenneth Williams is still going "Ooh!" and Sid is still leching etc, but with more depth than the usual (still awesome) tits and bums and double-entendres, and it really, really works. Sid and Joan's relationship is beautifully played, really subtle and heartbreaking, unlike any of the others where men and women who fancy each other just roll around on the floor and smack each other's arses (again, still great). I've not seen the On The Buses film recently enough to remember anything about it.Convenience might be the film I've seen the most times, out of any film. There's so many fantastic little moments in it.
Quite possibly the film I've seen the most, excepting my childhood obsession with GI Joe: The Movie. The only competition might be Carry on Cabby.

• Paid Members

Carry On At Your Convenience is probably the Carry On film that I've seen the least, but I think I liked it.Critics would have you believe that Carry On Screaming is the best film. This is wrong. That would be Carry On Up The Khyber.

• Paid Members

Carry On movies suck, dude.

Oh fuck off. Other than "At your convenience", which was well off the mark (and that's why the "On The Buses" film was the UK's biggest grossing film that year), they were fantastic working class social commentary.And it's not as if there wasn't some massive comedy heavyweights in them. James, Scott, Williams and FUCKING BUTTERWORTH were all fantastic.
The Carry Ons are indeed superb, although I'm going to have to disagree slightly here, because '...At Your Convenience' is one of the Top 10 British-produced movies ever, let alone the Carry Ons.
Ah, but it was the first of the Carry On films to lose money on its initial release. Personally I rank it among my favourites as I prefer the ones set in modern day, and the lack of Barbara Windsor means we get Joan Sims being a saucepot instead. Windsor would never have been able to pull off the scene with Sid where they stand at the bottom of the driveways at the end of the day out.

• Paid Members

One day I'll make my dreams come true, using CGI, and make my own version of V for Vendetta, with the Carry On rep. company. Sid as V, Babs as Evvie, Ken as Suttler, Charlie Hawtrey as the Voice, Terry Scott as the Vicar, Joan Sims as the doctor (she could pull it off) , Bernie Breslaw as the copper.

• Paid Members

Terry Scott as a lecher, though. Kenneth Connor would actually be blinding as the copper, and have big Bernie as someone else.

Why not Harry H. Corbett? he'd be pretty effective as the straight copper going loony trying to crack V.

If you ignore the sheer amount of London in it, the awful techno remix at the end and the shot that makes it look like the Joker's going to be the main villai, the new Bond trailer doesn't look too concerning.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

I've been watching all the Bonds in sequence recently and I'm up to Octopussy now. It's quite clear, though, that the Roger Moore Bond films are not only superior but without people thinking this is some kind of ironic bollocks I am trotting out here, they are mostly underrated as well.

I also think that The Spy Who Loved Me is far, far better than I remembered it being. Stromberg was a brilliant villain, and that murder of his secretary at the start in the shark tank is still really nasty and brutal. Barbara Bach is a great Bond girl, too, and all the stuff around Egypt is superb. What a fantastic film. It's almost trumped Live And Let Die as my favourite, actually.

• Paid Members

I re-watched For Your Eyes Only (1981) recently and have to admit I'd forgot just how good it is. That's the great thing about the Moore era films, they are so diverse. From the massive elaborate sets of TSWLM and Moonraker to a good old, stripped back, spy film like FYEO. They're hit and miss at times (Jaws' face turn for example), but the better Moore films are just about untouchable.

• Paid Members

I thought For Your Eyes Only had lost a bit since I last saw it but it was still good. I didn't think Kristatos was a great villain, that was its main problem, but Columbo was a great character and Locque was an awesome secondary villain. The cliff-climbing bit near the end is brilliant as well.