UKFF FPL Week 42

Fog Dude

UEFA Champions League final

Bayern Munich 2 v 2 Chelsea (7:45pm)

Championship Play-off final

Blackpool 1 v 3West Ham United (@ Wembley Stadium)

Blue Square Premier Promotion final

Luton Town 1 v 2 York City (Sunday @ Wembley Stadium)

Scottish Cup final

Heart of Midlothian 1 v 2 Hibernian (@ Hampden Park)

Italian Cup final

Juventus 2 v 1 Napoli (Sunday 7:45pm @ the Stadio Olimpico, Rome)

Portuguese Cup final

Acad

UEFA Champions League final

Bayern Munich 2 v 1 Chelsea (7:45pm)

Championship Play-off final

Blackpool 1 v 1 West Ham United (@ Wembley Stadium)

Blue Square Premier Promotion final

Luton Town 1 v 1 York City (Sunday @ Wembley Stadium)

Scottish Cup final

Heart of Midlothian 2 v 1 Hibernian (@ Hampden Park)

Italian Cup final

Juventus 2 v 1 Napoli (Sunday 7:45pm @ the Stadio Olimpico, Rome)

Portuguese Cup final

Acad

UEFA Champions League finalBayern Munich 2-1 Chelsea (7:45pm)Championship Play-off finalBlackpool 3-2 West Ham United (@ Wembley Stadium)Blue Square Premier Promotion finalLuton Town 0-1 York City (Sunday @ Wembley Stadium)Scottish Cup finalHeart of Midlothian 2-0 Hibernian (@ Hampden Park)Italian Cup finalJuventus 3-1 Napoli (Sunday 7:45pm @ the Stadio Olimpico, Rome)Portuguese Cup finalAcad

UEFA Champions League finalBayern Munich 2-1 Chelsea (7:45pm)Championship Play-off finalBlackpool 2-3 West Ham United (@ Wembley Stadium)Blue Square Premier Promotion finalLuton Town 1-0 York City (Sunday @ Wembley Stadium)Scottish Cup finalHeart of Midlothian 1-2 Hibernian (@ Hampden Park)Italian Cup finalJuventus 1-0 Napoli (Sunday 7:45pm @ the Stadio Olimpico, Rome)Portuguese Cup finalAcad

UEFA Champions League finalBayern Munich 2v1 Chelsea (7:45pm)Championship Play-off finalBlackpool 1v2 West Ham United (@ Wembley Stadium)Blue Square Premier Promotion finalLuton Town 1v0 York City (Sunday @ Wembley Stadium)Scottish Cup finalHeart of Midlothian 2v1 Hibernian (@ Hampden Park)Italian Cup finalJuventus 2v1 Napoli (Sunday 7:45pm @ the Stadio Olimpico, Rome)Portuguese Cup finalAcad

It's all over folks. The results went into the original post shortly after the delayed finish in Auxerre due to crowd trouble, and the regular table update has been in place for a couple of hours now. The details can wait, but suffice to say that there was time for one last twist in the championship race. FPL veteran snowman dave came as close as he's likely to get after hardly setting the world alight in previous seasons, but it was newcomer stunstone who snatched the title with a worthy performance on the final day.

I therefore can announce that stunstone316 is the UKFF FOOTBALL PREDICTIONS LEAGUE CHAMPION 2011-12.

I've double checked stunstone and snowman dave's scores, but if anyone else thinks I've made a mistake with theirs, tell me within the next few days, because I'll be embedding the table in 'final standings' format in the thread sometime within the next week. That'll be part of a full end-of-season round-up post and will be the last word on the matter. In the meantime I'd like some reaction from stunstone, while the rest of you can congratulate him on his win. Well done sir!

Wow. Well, where do I begin? To win such a prestigious event as this at the first time of asking is a big thing to do. I think if you look at my performance over the course of the season it;s truly warranted. I pushed snowman dave all the way and the twists in the latter part of the season were enthralling. For it to come down to the final day and for me to win it like that shows the character of.....well me. The result is a testament to the skills and devotion of myself and the work that I have put in on the training pitch has all been worth it. I shall now be taking a few weeks off before returning for some pre season friendly predictions so that I am in tip top shape to defend my title next season. Do I think I can retain? Of course I do. I am nothing but confident and I am sure my undoubted skills will prevail!

Well, the show's long since been over, folks. However, I didn't say a lot eight days ago, so there's quite a bit left to mention before we wrap this up completely. Apparently all the scores I calculated in haste back then were right, so based on that, I've come up with this final table that somewhat contradicts the last one in 'regular' format:

UKFF-FPL_finaltable201112.png

As you can see, poor old Ratty and El Espanacas are classed as joint last in this one, among those who saw it through to the end. In the original version, tom was bottom as a result of missing the final week, but last season set a precedent that going AWOL in the final week will mean you appear as having dropped out in the archived format. Some people will remember otherwise, but it's this type of table that goes in the record books, whereas the earlier one will be replaced at the usual link by the end of August. Speaking of dropouts, happily since I made the earlier post, brownie has returned to the forum. His 3-week absence just happened to coincide with our last 3 rounds, but I don't think he'd have been in too much danger if he'd been able to play on.

Officially that mean 19 participants saw it through, the same as the last two seasons. As we had only 25 sign-ups instead of 30 though, that means a much better retention rate. Of course only 24 appear in the standings. I gave a cursory nod to fruitcorner for showing an interest last summer, but he never actually joined in. As for the other stats, Del was obviously handicapped by winning the second-lowest total bonus points of all those who finished, but somewhat made up for it with correct results. After a promising start, El Espanacas managed to be worst on both those counts, but his number of exact scores was better than 9 of the 17 players above him. His posts in the football threads indicate he's not completely clueless though, and I'd encourage him to try again next year and carry on his early season form for a whole 9 months.

The Ratt is not as new to this, but I'd say the same regarding his general football knowledge. Again, there's no relegation so I feel he should shrug this one off and get back to those consecutive 5th-placed finishes of 2009 and 2010 - or even go one better. On the other hand, the players just above those two can count themselves lucky. For instance steve is often just a goal or two out from getting a much higher score than the one he ends up with, but his lack of capital letters in threads which require words rather than just numbers do him no favours. No such trouble from Haraga, but he's just rubbish at predicting games outside the Scottish lower divisions which he knows inside out. Last in 2010, joint 12th a year later but with only 3 more points than this season, and now fourth bottom thanks to a cynical use of his own beloved Morton's D2D fixture. Take off the bonuses from that weekend and he's below Ratty by some distance.

At the other end, the fact that sivy still has the most bonuses after taking a shedload of D2D points on the opening day speaks volumes. Some weeks he seemed capable of holding on to top spot until the end, other times he looked like the chump who was effectively last before dropping out on the final day last season. In the end that stroke of luck in a Derby-Brum fixture with no form guide to go on probably artificially inflated his position all year, but even without it his second go at this was a clear improvement on the first. He was eventually overhauled mid-season by smp, who couldn't keep up his good performances after taking the lead. Given that he was 'officially' the worst player to go right to the last day the previous season, that's another staggering climb. Unfortunately this is smp's third go and he still fell short of the 3rd place he managed the season before that, but there's no reason not to have another shot next season.

Former champ TUFCfan managed to insert himself between the early leading duo and the eventual top two, without ever really looking in contention himself (he may disagree). He scored 2 more points than last time and finished a single place higher, thanks in large part to having the second highest number of bonus points. A lot of those came at Christmas, when he rightly backed the Gulls to beat Swindon. In the final League Two classification it mattered little though, as the opposition that day won the division while Torquay conspired to lose to Cheltenham in the play-offs.

So it was left to stunstone and the snowman to battle it out for the title. Either would have been worth champions, and when the overall gap and the gap between the number of bonuses they got is just 4 points, it's worth looking back at possible turning points that seemed insignificant at the time. Both won their D2Ds back in the first half of the season. Dave wrongly bet against Liverpool as Kenny overturned Hodgson's Albion at the Hawthorns and stunstone reaped the rewards. West Brom got their revenge at Anfield later in the season of course and one of the managers that day is now England head coach, while the other is unemployed. Charlton's win at Glanford Park on their way to promotion was the snowman's Dare2Disagree fixture. Who'd have known Scunny would be so awful after coming down from the Championship the term before last? Anyway it was a dramatic week as dave collected bonuses from a few mugs, but more importantly, stunstone picked late! Had he been in time for the Addicks game, he might've scored more points. On the other hand, he could've gifted a further 2 bonuses to the snowman and made things even closer come the final day.

As I already alluded to, that means a d

Archived