WWE Raw - 5/14/2012 Discussion Thread *Spoilers*

ThePhenom

So what did you all think of last night's Raw? I really enjoyed the Triple H/Paul Heyman segment, HHH might have gone a little long before Heyman came out, but it was all pretty much saved by the time they started interacting with each other. I was afraid the final segment with John Cena and Johnny Ace was going to go the way of bad comedy, but Cena ended up cracking me up. The crowd grew as the promo went on, and he had them on their feet by the middle of it. The Jim Carey like stuff and the line with the hockey puck, "I'm gonna puck you up" I think it was, was as good as any of the "too funny to be bad" material that Rock ever through out there. I didn't think much of the rest of the show, it all seemed a bit dull other than Sheamus/Orton's argument at the end. To say I was disappointed when they stuck Santino with Punk and Bryan would be an under statement. But the parts I talked about were as good as I would want so it's not too bad.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Enjoyed most of it cant be the end of Big Johnny already. I get the feeling Cena vs Ace will end with some finger poke of doom type finish dont know why. Also Brock vs HHH is going to be a unsanctioned match aint it around about the same time No holds barred comes out

I think the match between Johnny & Cena is so obvious how its going to end!Big show will cost Cena the match because he can't get fired as he already is fired!This will lead to the big show turning heel, and starting a feud with Cena

It was mostly a forgettable show. The Big Show/Laurinaitis segment was way too hammy and was unengaging. It felt too rushed, and it's seemingly the result of things being changed at the last minute (note Tensai being removed from the larger angle too).I expected the Laurinaitis/Cena segment to be more or less average, but it turned out to be a great example of how to take something unspectacular and turn it into something really fun. Cena was clearly having a ball, and he's such a natural on his feet.

Big Johnny, Heyman, Big Show and Cena were great, everything else on the show was completely pointless and boring.I think half the show was taken up by replays, even replays of stuff that had literally only just happened.

I know Brock's technically still there, but they're suffering from a massive Star-based hangover. The show looks full of mid-carders at the minute.If CM Punk/Bryan meant any less, it'd replace Kane/Ryder on the pre-show.The limited show deal for Lesnar was an inspirational bit of business to bolster the star power of a show that was always going to suffer post-Rock. That said, for it to have any lasting effect they really need to do about 3 or 4 of them (Batista? ...Goldberg? ...Austin?) and have them overlap so someone's always there to help Cena carry the show.

The fact their pushing John Laurainitis as the main heel (Who I think is just tedious) shows that the roster is devoid of star power. Doing the whole power trip management schtick is so 2000. New ideas would be good. Maybe their ratings would be better if they had some fucking originality.

• Paid Members

The thing is you'd think the writers would say "Okay lads, so we're lacking star power at the minute. Let's put our thinking caps on and come up with some great and compelling storylines for our mid-card talent to not only carry the show untill Brock's back but also to get the next generation of talent over and to keep the fans invested in the product". Instead they seem to be saying "Right, we're pretty fucked at the moment because we only have one genuine main eventer. Let's just fuck around and do nothing interesting with anybody untill we can get Brock or The Rock back".

• Paid Members

Enjoyed Paul E. in the opening segment. HHH does prattle on when he's out there on his own though. The Punk/Bryan tag match was decent and had a nice heated closing stretch. Are they teasing a U.S./Intercontinental title unification? I'd be all for that. Beth squashing alicia Fox was alright. Beth staring down Layla whilst holding Alicia for the press slam was a cool visual. The Big Show/Laurinatis/Eve stuff was unspeakably shit last week, but I thought both Big Show and Big Johnny were great in this week's segment. Big Show is a funny one, in that his fake laugh and fake joviality are absolutely atrocious but he can deliver anguish and heartache like a pro. He's a gigantic monster but a sincere and sympathetic babyface. Kane is so pointless at the moment. I laughed pretty hard at Cole and Lawler doing Owen Hart has died voices after it, only to be interrupted by the ONLY LIVING BREATHINGFUNKASAURUS IN CAPTIVITY. Good stuff. Six man was fine fillery stuff. A six man is a good idea for Brodus because his match last week sucked a dick. He showed some good fire here and got all his stuff in whilst everyone else did the selling for smaller guys and other stuff he looks akward doing. I'm quite enjoying the AJ losing her mind over Bryan stuff, and I think she's playing the role very well indeed. Orton/Jericho did its job. I'm enjoying the build for the world title match and I think I'm looking forward to the four way more than most on here. Last segment draaaaagged. I like Cena but he was too far into contrived goofy Jim Carrey mode here and I wasn't too amused. Still, the list of stipulations at the end did a decent job of selling the Cena/Laurinatis match. Maybe they could have got to that a bit faster, becuase up until then it was like one of those cringeworthy Rock segments that the live crowd enjoys but bombs on TV. I assume Big Show will cost Cena the match on Sunday, but I hope we don't get a full blown feud between those two. I'd have thought it'd be Big Show having his hand forced leading to eventual revenge on Big johnny. That was Raw then. Meh. I actually watched all of last week's Smackdown (I usually just youtube individual segments that sound interesting) after reading some encouraging spoilers over the past few weeks and I thought it was much better than the past two Raws.If I can get past that god awful fake crowd noise I might give the B show a bit more of my time on weeks like this where Raw leaves me cold. I echo Cobra1000's psoitivity at seeing Otunga back on screen though.

Archived