Ranking football tournaments

scratchdj

• Paid Members

Starting with the World Cup, how do you rank the World's football tournaments in terms of Prestige/Importance/Honour globally (maybe a top 5, 6, 7 or top 10)? It would be interesting to see which competitions people see as being "above" others. Do you rank any domestic leagues above confederation cups, for example?So Maybe:1) World Cup2) UEFA European Championships3) Copa Am

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

1. Still the WORLD CUP. Nothing quite like it for prestige. 2. EURO CHAMPIONSHIPS. The Champions League is becoming a bit of a juggernaut but still doesn't eclipse the glory of top, top international football.3. CHAMPIONS LEAGUE. Beautifully marketed, well presented and seriously high standard in the knockout phases. easier to win than league title but brings more glamour.4. ENGLISH PREMIER LEAGUE. I'll get slaughtered for this one, I know. I actually think the PL is lower in quality of football than La Liga but for pure excitement, marketability, history and standard of footballer, it can't be matched. It has worldwide appeal for a reason and this season has really lived up to the hype.5. LA LIGA. Just beats out the Bundesliga. Both competitive in the middle areas of the table, Bundesliga wins for the passion of the people in the crowd while La Liga has a higher standard of football. What clinches it is the fact that La Liga features two of the best club sides in the World. 6. BUNDESLIGA.7. EUROPA LEAGUE.8. SERIE A.9. AFRICAN CUP OF NATIONS.10. LIGUE 1.Copa America not in my top 10. Always thought the guest element and poor marketing spoils what should be a great tournament.

• Paid Members

The Europa League is a piece of shit. Has the name and set up change helped the cup? I don't think so.

Depends what you mean. It certainly doesn't mean as much as it used to, but it's a situation not unique to Europe. The AFC Cup in Asia and Copa Sudamericana are also relatively neglected as the sort of B-level continental cups.But they also all have in common that they are FAR more entertaining in several ways than the respective Champions Leagues and Copa Libertadores. Europa League is great.

• Paid Members

1. World Cup2. Champions League3. European Championships4. English Premier League5. La Liga6. Bundesliga7. Copa America8. Serie A9. ACON10. Europa League11. The rest

I'd agree with this, the Champions League is definitely second only to the World Cup, and some are valuing the Copa America far too high on here. I'd probably chuck the FA Cup ahead of ACON though.

Toughy! As per, though I'll go with some odd choices1. European Championships2. UEFA Champions League (Best Teams in Europe,etc)3. World Cup (without the heavily weighted Euro contingent there wouldn't be a World Cup, well not at least as it is known now and going on some discussions behind the scenes a while back, it was and remains quite viable for Uefa to pull out and go it alone with just the Euro's, whilst the World Cup flounders)4. Confed Cup (Just cos the home nations dont play, because they never win owt, doesnt mean it isnt important despite being relatively new. It's basically the Champions League of International Football)5. Copa Libertadores (Resurgent South American Football Tournament, effective Champions League of South America)6. Europa League 7/8/9/10 are interchangable:- Premiership, La Liga, Serie A, Bundesliga11. Copa America12. English Championship ( It's something like the 5th highest viewed and money rich league in Europe)13. ACONAnd so on..Yeah that will do

• Paid Members

I know this is subjective, but are you heeling it up a bit? Euros above World Cup? The shitty, worthless competition that is the ConFed cup above La Liga and Premier League? Europa League, the tournament that major teams see as an inconvenience when trying to win te league, higher than the league? All just seems a bit baffling. By your logic I expected the World Club Championships right up there.

• Awards Moderator

Bloody hell, pat. I know life is on the up and up for you at the moment but after reading your list, I can only imagine it's because of LSD.The list is supposed to be in order of how you see them in terms of prestige/honour etc. so no matter how much you may enjoy one over the other, do you think any fan or player in Europe would rather with the Euros than the World Cup?

Bloody hell, pat. I know life is on the up and up for you at the moment but after reading your list, I can only imagine it's because of LSD.The list is supposed to be in order of how you see them in terms of prestige/honour etc. so no matter how much you may enjoy one over the other, do you think any fan or player in Europe would rather with the Euros than the World Cup?

Bloody hell, Frankie! :thumbsup: Only around 40 percent of the World Cup teams in 2010 were from Europe. and prior to that it was nearly 60 percent of teams when it was a smaller tourny like 1982,1986 and 1990 for example. The top three clubs were European in 2010 and in general without them (European Teams) the World Cup wouldn't have the same prestige. This is backed up by 10 out of the 18 World Cup or so being won by European teams.So to me the European Championship is more important, you are more likely to see a World Cup Winner from that Tourny or a World Force on the rise there. It is self sufficient enough for the Euro teams to break away from Fifa World Cup and still make pot loads of cash with the other competition left floundering. Ergo in my view, which clearly no one will agree with. It is more prestigious.As said I see it different. Cest la Vie

• Paid Members

So? That just means European national sides are on average better. Brazil are the greatest national side of all time, doesn't that throw your theory out somewhat? I could do this all day, but here's another:If you were a footballer Pat, would you rather win the FA Cup or the second tier of English football?

I know this is subjective, but are you heeling it up a bit? Euros above World Cup? The shitty, worthless competition that is the ConFed cup above La Liga and Premier League? Europa League, the tournament that major teams see as an inconvenience when trying to win te league, higher than the league? All just seems a bit baffling. By your logic I expected the World Club Championships right up there.

I know this is subjective, but I try not to get blind sided by the 'brit mentality/brit media lead fanfare', of what is and isnt a good or prestigious tournament. Just because some say this and say that same thing often enough, it doesnt make it anymore true. As said in my original list Confed Cup is there as it is the Cup of international Champs, something the home nations arent likely to get, because we largely never win anything, ergo it becomes devalued in terms of prestige, here because there is no investment in it of a sort, because 'we' dont compete. Doesnt mean anyone else pours scorn on it.

Archived