Wrestler Nicknames

ShortOrderCook

• Moderators

I remember when Billy Gunn was 'the best pure athlete in the WWF'. As opposed to the rest of them, who were just chancers who blagged their way into jobs as wrestlers like George Costanza.

'best pure athlete' is like 'best drop kick in the business' - things to say about utterly bland wrestlers they have nothing else to say about.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

But didnt they also used to throw that "best dropkick in the industry" thing at Bob Holly, who everyone around here seems to confuse with Christ? I personally thought he was crap.Other nicknames for the "crap" pile : Hip Hop Hippo was great for TACKA Lord Tensai, wasn't it? I also really hated "Big Evil" for Undertaker as it made previously one of the coolest guys on the roster look like a massive mark.

• Paid Members

Bob Holly was crap. He never connected with an audience any more than Shelton Benjamin did, and didn't even have the fun high spots stop you nodding off. I think "The Great White" for Sheamus is a pretty silly one. "The Samoan Bulldozer" was simple but effective for Umaga. Already been mentioned but "Booger Red" has to be the worst of them all.

• Paid Members

During the Hardcore division days in 99 and the "super heavyweight" gimmick Bob Holly was getting good reactions and was highly entertaining.For me, Bob Holly is great just because of his fantastic promo at Wrestlemania 2000: "Michael Cole, I will break your ass in half, you little shithead."A shit nickname was "The One" Billy Gunn. The One what?

• Moderators

But didnt they also used to throw that "best dropkick in the industry" thing at Bob Holly, who everyone around here seems to confuse with Christ? I personally thought he was crap.

Yeah and then, laughably, folks on here totally bought into it and would throw out how good his dropkick was as a defense of him when arguing the unarguable case for Bob Holly not being a complete turd.It's a fucking dropkick, and he sucks.

Really liked Paul Heyman's nickname of "The Physical Commissionner" for William Regal."The Ultimate Opportunist" was a great name for Edge what with the crafty ways he used to win titles and matches.Didn't they refer to Hardcore Holly as "The Alabama Slamma" for a time aswell.I'd add that to he shit list.

"The Next Big Thing" For LesnarAlways quite liked the "Doctor of Thuganomics" for Cena

I never understood that one. What exactly is a 'Thuganomic', and why would one want to be a 'Doctor' or one?
does it not mean he knows alot about being a thug maybe.

• Paid Members

"The Next Big Thing" For LesnarAlways quite liked the "Doctor of Thuganomics" for Cena

I never understood that one. What exactly is a 'Thuganomic', and why would one want to be a 'Doctor' or one?
It's the ability to profit and loss the act of being a thug. Tax deductions on padlocks worn on chains round one's neck, shoe leather costs of crumping around minimalls, and possible revenue streams, like world championships and protection money for cornershops, under threat of blocking access to the slushee machine.

• Paid Members

"The Ultimate Opportunist" was a great name for Edge what with the crafty ways he used to win titles and matches.

Yeah, it was utterly perfect. The man's track record is beautiful.1st WWE title - cashes in Money In The Bank with Cena fucked2nd WWE title - steals the pin after Cena did the damage to RVD1st World title - cashes in Money In The Bank with Undertaker fucked2nd World title - steals the pin after Undertaker did the damage to Batista3rd World title - climbs a ladder after interference from half the roster3rd WWE title - gatecrashes a triangle match he's not even meant to be in4th WWE title - pins Jeff Hardy after his brother turns on him4th World title - gatecrashes an Elimination Chamber he's not supposed to be in5th World title - beats Cena in a Last Man Standing after Big Show does the damageWins a Royal Rumble as a surprise entrantYeah, he was something special.

I happened to stumble across a pretty good match which had Bob Holly in it just a few nights ago. It was vs Bam Bam Bigelow when Kama was unveiled as a corporation member (to Brian Christophers music). I had always considered Holly to be a bit poor but that match made me question myself somewhat, so I ended up going through a load of old matches, but sure enough, things got pretty boring quick. It's not like he was totally awful, just utterly dull, generic and wooden. Yet more evidence, as if it was needed, for the "Bam Bam was ruddy bloody good" argument though.The one actual disappointment was his upset v Owen Hart which I had somehow remembered as being good, but in reality was just a typical tv mini-match. On the brightside, it did give me a highlight with Lawler asking one redneck fan if he ever got divorced from his wife, would they still be brother and sister? I think it was the confused expression that made it. No doubt worked, but still funny :laugh:

Scotty Steiner's had a few good one's:SuperstarWhite ThunderBig Poppa PumpThe Big Bad Booty DaddyFreakzillaThe Genetic FreakTaker:Big EvilThe Amercian Bad AssThe PhenomShawn Michaels:Heartbreak KidBig Van Vader:The Mastidon (did Vince not pedal it for a while?)Shane Douglass: The Franchise

Archived