Wrestler Nicknames

ShortOrderCook

• Paid Members

Couldn't think of a sexy apt title for the topic, but I've just stuck on the latest Stone Cold DVD and got to thinking how he had some wicked nicknames. And I don't mean 'Stone Cold' I mean the accompanying monikers he had (like the Texas Rattlesnake and Bionic Redneck) which many wrestlers get dubbed and adopt as their characters and career progress. Sometimes they can really enhance a wrestlers persona, sometimes they're just shit.So what are some of the best and what are some of the worst and why?

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

The "secondary" nicknane is a fine tradition in wrestling, that little extra that gives you more insight to the individuals psyche or make-up on top of their ring moniker. For example, Chris Benoit was "The Crippler" for years but at some point he also became "the Wolverine" which was very fitting. I also liked "The Iceman" for Dean Malenko as opposed to "the Man of 1000 holds" which was rather bland unless he was programmed with Jericho.I also had a soft spot for the dumb nicknames Sean Mooney and Al Hays would make up for wrestlers on the Coliseum videos, just for them, as if no one else would notice. You can't tell me Mooney wasn't referring to Tugboat as "the sailing Superstar" just for shits and giggles. The amount of sweet Mary J passed around that booth probably would have put the Happy Mondays to shame.A better thread would be "nicknames you thought were white dogshit."Examples :Friday Night DelightShamen Of SexyPrince of ParkourThere are probably more, but I cant remember hating anyone more than JoMo right now.Shit, best add "JoMo" to the list.

I always liked Cerebral Assassin, not only did it fit the character so well in mid 99, it has stuck and continued to work for Hunter ever since. Thats the one that immediately jumps out at me. Sexual Chocolate was awful and even after a great second half of 2011 he isnt living it down 13 years later.

• Paid Members

I hated the way Goldberg came to WWE with the amazing aura of his WCW run around him and JR saw fit to give this relentless killing machine the distinctly ridiculous nickname of... Whisker biscuit, how the fuck was that supposed to get over?Also similarly "Booger Red" for the undertaker. What the fuck.Apex predator is phat though.

Talking about shit nicknames or at least potential ones, I just watched the "inside the WWF" vid earlier, it was obviously filmed just after WMX (although the matches were from Autumn '93) and Gorilla was trying to push "The Ladder Man" for Razor Ramon. He must've called him that about 3 or 4 times. I guess we can be glad that one never caught on, not that it ever would.In keeping with the plunder-related names, and on the flipside, La Parka as the Chairman of WCW was great.Another one I was reminded of from recent viewing that I liked: Adam Bomb -

Archived